Patrick Reed

D

Deleted member 21258

I don't think he will be bothered. Why would he want to spend time with the players that are calling him a cheat? He can do his own thing, he doesn't come across as being the most outgoing or a player that wants to interact with others, he's earnt a good wedge already on top of the millions he'll earn over the next 5/10 years, he has a green jacket
and can pretty decide when or if he wants to finish.

People like Kostis coming out now saying he's been cheating for years - why not say something at the time?

Its human nature, just think of stuff like Jimmy Saville/Rolf Harris and why that didn't blow up much earlier. People hide or help hide such matters.

Many reasons why, the bigger question is, will this be the start of a bigger issue coming out or not and will it help to stop such matters in the future (bit like the Lexi moving the ball)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its human nature, just think of stuff like Jimmy Saville/Rolf Harris and why that didn't blow up much earlier. People hide or help hide such matters.

Many reasons why, the bigger question is, will this be the start of a bigger issue coming out or not and will it help to stop such matters in the future (bit like the Lexi moving the ball)

That was totally different.

it possibly will but I still doubt Reed will be bothered.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It could even be argued that he does well off of it. No one wants him to win, and he uses that as fuel to help motivate himself.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
He's shown in the past that things like that really don't bother him.
a bit of booing before, the aussies got into it and from the footage he didn't really like that. But shows the sort of person he is ... revels in being a cheat who's been caught a few times and even had to leave the Uni he was at

D

Deleted member 21258

Cheating at golf relatable to being a nonce?!

Er, nope why would I ever say or infer that.:unsure:

I did however compare the underlining reasons why people don't/didnt say something before. A major difference in my eyes, to what you are trying to infer.

What I was saying is that one of the reasons could be human nature. people hide stuff, people help hide stuff, turn the other eye, don't want the grief so don't say anything etc. When extreme stuff like JS/RH happen, and people turn another eye to that kind of stuff, how can you expect a 'minor' matter such as cheating, not to be human nature.

I was giving a reason of why the person didn't say something before and an extreme example of such human nature to explain it. Wasn't comparing the underlining 'crimes', just the reasons.

D

Deleted member 21258

That was totally different.

it possibly will but I still doubt Reed will be bothered.

I don't think it will affect him in the short term massively, unless the authorities do something.

If it continues, over say a year or more, I would expect it would grind on anyone and will affect Reed one way or another (financially with sponsors dropping off and performance on the golf course with heckling). But its a big if, if it continues for more than a year.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
He said there's video evidence to prove it. All he has to do is also comment on the videos at the time.

And then get sacked. He worked for CBS, but the PGA tour call the tune. If they want him out, he is gone. In fact, that is why he isn't there anymore, but why go out of your way to get yourself sacked.

Contractually, even off air, anything he said that did not tow the CBS line, would be a disciplinary offence. Most jobs, even my crummy one, have this in the t and c.

Swango1980

Visit site
Cheating at golf relatable to being a nonce?!
Interesting somebody uses an example to make a general point, and people choose to completely ignore the context of that point and infer that they are basically saying something completely different. For the record, when I read that post, at no point was I thinking that DRW was trying to say a cheating golfer was the same as sexually abusing children.

It is interesting though, that in this age of social media and general online forums, people have to be ridiculously careful what they say, because no matter how innocent it may be, there is usually somebody willing to completely twist the context to try and make that person out to be the most horrible person imaginable.

Not really having a go howbow88, perhaps you were just having a bit of banter. But again, what starts as a bit of banter can snowball into something completely different.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
And then get sacked. He worked for CBS, but the PGA tour call the tune. If they want him out, he is gone. In fact, that is why he isn't there anymore, but why go out of your way to get yourself sacked.

Contractually, even off air, anything he said that did not tow the CBS line, would be a disciplinary offence. Most jobs, even my crummy one, have this in the t and c.
I read the article by Kostis. He was advised by his bosses not to make controversial comments, I think the term was 'don't be the story'. He then has a flat out decision to make. Does he raise the issue, get cut off by the director 3 seconds into his description of what he sees, get the sack and never work in golf again, or does he leave the screen time quiet when we sees what is happening. You can see why he choose the latter option, as would most of us.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This might be an unpopular thought, and I find PR's antics on the golf course as reprehensible as anyone, but there is an unpleasant smell of The Mob about this.
We have a very recent example of the terrible effects of large numbers of people piling into someone's behaviour. Will the world only be happy when PR self destructs? Admitably, he seems a mentally resilient character, but how do we know? I don't feel entirely comfortable with the way that this is all playing out.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Here's apparently one of the examples Kostis discussed. Have noticed Reed doing this in the past but thought nothing of it, but Kostis was saying from up close he's had lies in the rough that were wedge punch-outs that were turned into lies he could hit 3-wood from by doing this. Shocking stuff, and more evidence that Reed is a cheat. He got banned from competing at College for cheating, we've seen the bunker lie improving, and now hearing about this. Something should be done, but it won't, the PGA Tour will bury their head in the sand as they always do, claim Reed is a gentleman on a tour of gentlemen and move on.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This might be an unpopular thought, and I find PR's antics on the golf course as reprehensible as anyone, but there is an unpleasant smell of The Mob about this.
We have a very recent example of the terrible effects of large numbers of people piling into someone's behaviour. Will the world only be happy when PR self destructs? Admitably, he seems a mentally resilient character, but how do we know? I don't feel entirely comfortable with the way that this is all playing out.

Perhaps if he just stopped cheating it might all go away?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I agree. it doesn't look like it's going away too and keeps getting brought up time and time again.