Patrick Reed

Swango1980

Visit site
Thank you. Did as you suggest, and I am now clear on waste area etc.
It is decided by committee.
Now that we are on the same hymn sheet?....
I appreciate he was penalised for improving his lie. As I was suggesting, the down line view supports that. Someone has stated that there is a side on view somewhere (though it seems elusive ) that would show his club was touching the sand so far away from his ball that it wouldn't amount to an improvement of his lie.?
Has anyone seen this view?
I've not seen that view, and perhaps it may clarify Reed's argument? Not even sure it exists, I think it was just that Reed suggested that if the view DID exist, it would back up his claim that he felt it was far enough away from the ball.

However, I'm picturing myself taking my normal stance at a ball, like he did, and then having a few waggles. I cannot see how my club can touch the sand so far away from the ball as to not make me feel like I'm uncomfortably stretching out well behind the ball? It would also seem an unusual thing for him to do when getting into his routine. The sand pretty much moved as soon as he started bringing the club head back, so his starting point would have had to be well behind the ball which I just don't see as a credible argument.

The 2 shot penalty was given for improving his lie. That doesn't mean that he didn't intentionally do it (and therefore cheat), it just means that they can't prove and were reluctant to judge that he intentionally cheated. However, if I had to choose 1 incident over the last 10-15 years (that I've watched golf) in which I had to decide a professional golfer cheated, I'd choose this one as the most likely and I think others would be in the same boat. Of course, I've not seen them all, I know Dyson got a suspended ban for touching line of the putt, even though he denied he was flattening a spike mark. Maybe this was given because he still should have known, at the time, he couldn't press down on his line of putt. Although, I seem to remember McIlroy brushing away sand from the fringe and just getting the standard penalty (even though you'd think he ought to have known he couldn't do that either, although he did admit to having an unforgivable moment of forgetfulness).

Ultimately, I guess it depends on who is on the Committee for that event and perhaps what Tour it is. I also think others have a point that, officials will be more reluctant to implement strong sanctions on higher profile players given the importance of sponsorship at each event (although, some sponsors may be reluctant to put too much money into an event that includes cheats and slow players?).

We'll never know, but what if a player like Simon Dyson did what Patrick Reed did at that event, Would he have been treated the same? Or, what if Reed did what he did on the European Tour? Harder to know that one especially. On one hand we like to think of the European Tour as stricter on players (maybe), but on the other hand they get a lot of good publicity when high profile PGA Tour players come over and play European Tour events.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My goodness dear old Patrick is really getting it again from all angles!

Even Brooks has called him out as being a cheat! A TV presenter claims he caught him improving his lie on several occasions yet only now speaks out!!

Wow.

I'm now thinking this really could be the beginning of the end of Reed. How does he respond or even come back from this?

Answers on a postcard!

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You talking about Peter Kostis on the No Laying Up podcast?

He was very clear about Reed cheating. He even mentioned the videos were on YouTube. Wouldn’t mind seeing them.

Tour won’t do anything though.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Not really sure this can be swept under the carpet, the tour are going to be asked about. Patrick is certainly going to be asked about it, what's he going to say ? I didn't do it, but then you have to ask yourself why is there multiple sources all accusing him of it. I think it tells everyone what they need to know

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not listened to it just read an article but it only mentions the old trick of 'placing club behind the ball several times in the rough letting the weight come down to flatten the grass a bit'

However wrong, there's loads of them on tour do it, you see it so often and I'll wager it happens at club comps every single week all round the country (none of which makes it any more right, just that this far far from a Reed centric issue)

Swango1980

Visit site
Brooks did say he's seen several golfers improve their lie in rough, so not just Patrick. But yes, it definitely puts Reed massively in spot light again. Any time he is in rough, no doubt cameras will be zooming in to get a before and after shot of his lie.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Interesting to see if the tour try and shut "one of their own" up in Koepka in the same way they did with the other guy that moaned. I do agree that Reed has forced himself into a corner and will be under intense pressure as will the tour if it ever happens again. I can't see how they'd be able to brush it under the carpet again

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You talking about Peter Kostis on the No Laying Up podcast?

He was very clear about Reed cheating. He even mentioned the videos were on YouTube. Wouldn’t mind seeing them.

Tour won’t do anything though.
As far as Reed's future on Tour, the Tour might not have to do much.
If his sponsors decide that having Reed branded a cheat is harming their name then hell get dropped.
If more revelations appear then players may refuse to play with him.
There's so many ways this can end
I dont think I've ever wanted to be Patrick Reed but I certainly wouldn't want to be him at the moment

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Using a club to flatten the grass in the rough has been going on for donkey's years, long before Reed did it. Tom Watson pulled Gary Player up for it.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
I think best thing for Reed would be to jump ship to Premier League Golf (or whatever they end up calling it). He may not be the most popular player but he's a big name. A controversial figure like Reed would get people talking about the breakaway tour. Could be a win-win for both parties.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Using a club to flatten the grass in the rough has been going on for donkey's years, long before Reed did it. Tom Watson pulled Gary Player up for it.

Gary Player - now there is another can of worms with lots of alligators following him.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
This won't do anything to him. He's a really good golfer with a green jacket. I doubt that he likes taking all of this flak, but I also get the feeling that he's the kind of character that will not care about what people say about him. He doesn't talk to his family any more due to a disagreement - he's not going to care about other golfers and people on the internet.

D

Deleted member 23270

This won't do anything to him. He's a really good golfer with a green jacket. I doubt that he likes taking all of this flak, but I also get the feeling that he's the kind of character that will not care about what people say about him. He doesn't talk to his family any more due to a disagreement - he's not going to care about other golfers and people on the internet.
I don't agree with that. I doubt he wants to go down in history as a cheat with all his achievements under scrutiny.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i bet he is, didn't like it in the Pres cup and no doubt won't if he ever gets picked in the Ryder cup again

I don't think he will be bothered. Why would he want to spend time with the players that are calling him a cheat? He can do his own thing, he doesn't come across as being the most outgoing or a player that wants to interact with others, he's earnt a good wedge already on top of the millions he'll earn over the next 5/10 years, he has a green jacket
and can pretty decide when or if he wants to finish.

People like Kostis coming out now saying he's been cheating for years - why not say something at the time?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't think he will be bothered. Why would he want to spend time with the players that are calling him a cheat? He can do his own thing, he doesn't come across as being the most outgoing or a player that wants to interact with others, he's earnt a good wedge already on top of the millions he'll earn over the next 5/10 years, he has a green jacket
and can pretty decide when or if he wants to finish.

People like Kostis coming out now saying he's been cheating for years - why not say something at the time?
see how he likes 1000 on the first tee chanting cheat;)