Patrick Read’s caddie

Philbyk1

Visit site
Nothing like calling someone fat to win an argument on the internet.

Did you ever see any of “Mr Pings” posts who he was referring to regarding the Porsche comment?
no I didn't new member, Wish I wouldn't have bothered. Clearly most on here don't understand the science pros now use to get an advantage.
Clearly his comments to me were meant to be mocking and derogatory but I apologise if this is not the case.

Philbyk1

Visit site
So you're a loony, a sensationslist with no real grasp of the rules, you throw your toys out when someone rationally questions your nonsense, and now you're personally abusing someone based on his photo.
? ⚓
Are you now at least learning something about pro techniques. I know "I think it is two balls outside right" is OK in your roll up but the pros will push the envelop a little more.
So Mr rules expert can you use the flag to aid aim point technique. Do you want me to explain that again to you? I'll type slowly!

Philbyk1

Visit site
Care to expand on what you mean with that comment?
Saint sorry for the insensitive comments! To be honest I have been quite taken aback by the abuse on this site for what I think is an interesting point. Well at least some now seem to be interested. Once again I should have taken the higher ground (like Reed caddies flag)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Ok guys enough

Bit surprised at the reaction this question has raised, new member too.

Having looked at it, he may have a point, so what’s with all the vitriol?
Why can’t we discuss this in an adult fashion?

To the OP : to be fair you have repeated yourself again and again and this generally antagonises people, so maybe time to stop.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To use the flag in this way to read a putt you would have to know what your doing.
Most of us are not that scientific.
Can we expect Bryson’s caddy to be doing this.
Reed holes his share of putts but if it was that effective the other players would pick up on it.
Up to now nobody has answered the question yes or no.
But I can’t find anywhere we’re it says you can’t so that means you can!

Bit abusive on here. If you don’t like his question just don’t engage.

Philbyk1

Visit site
Ok guys enough

Bit surprised at the reaction this question has raised, new member too.

Having looked at it, he may have a point, so what’s with all the vitriol?
Why can’t we discuss this in an adult fashion?

To the OP : to be fair you have repeated yourself again and again and this generally antagonises people, so maybe time to stop.
Thanks will do.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is always flag down first, then step behind and look at the putt crouching. Then he sometimes goes flat on the ground to see the line of the putt from closer.

The perpendicular point is best described if you think what Rose does which is aim point putting method. See attached how in point one the man is using his feet to determine the slope. He stands behind the ball with his feet either side of the ball. This gives him the feel of whether the green is slopping. If his left foot feels lower than his right the putt is likely to be right to left and vice versa. All I think Reeds caddie is doing is using the flag for the same affect. He always places it across the green see picture for demonstration. It amplifies the slope but is the same principle of using feet and balance.

The shots of him lying flat on the ground are after he has viewed the flag lying on its own on the ground. Best example was on 9 yesterday when Reed actually missed a short one. I have attached a picture of the caddie in the process of placing the flag perpendicular to the hole. if after placing the right side of the flag is higher when viewed from our view it is a right to left putt. it simply replaces the feet in the aim point process. think of the guy in point one placing a flag across his feet with the flag.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news-and-events/general-news/2018/may/what-is-aim-point-putting

I don't get how it relates to AimPoint which depends on feeling through your feet, but no matter. After a quick review of Rule 10, I can't see the caddie's actions being in breach of anything. Nor can I think of any other rule that could be breached by them.

Philbyk1

Visit site
Ignoring aim point as this has been exhausted. You either understand it or you don’t but may be 4.3 is the rule. Sorry if this number has been updated.
Rule 4.3 limits the use of equipment and devices that might help a player in his or her play, based on the principle that golf is a challenging game in which success should depend on the judgement, skills and abilities of the player.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can see how it could help you square up aligning a putt, but if it is removed before the putt , what's the problem.
Same idea as putting a club down to align your feet at address, then remove it .:confused:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ignoring aim point as this has been exhausted. You either understand it or you don’t but may be 4.3 is the rule. Sorry if this number has been updated.
Rule 4.3 limits the use of equipment and devices that might help a player in his or her play, based on the principle that golf is a challenging game in which success should depend on the judgement, skills and abilities of the player.

I didn't see any breach of 4.3 either.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Well the bulk of the forum can’t see an issue, so we might just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Be interesting what the tour caddies have to say on it

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To the OP- is he putting the flag across the line of the putt? I believe he is at least 3-4 feet back, maybe more so this is not the same as aim point where you straddle the line of the putt.
Also, how accurate is the caddie when he puts the flag down? And when he lies on the flag, how accurate will the slope be get through clothing, range book, divots, etc in his bib pockets?

Philbyk1

Visit site
Well the bulk of the forum can’t see an issue, so we might just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Be interesting what the tour caddies have to say on it
Yes more traction from those who get aim point technique. Most of the negatives (apart from the abuse) have been around they don’t see why it is an advantage. The rule point is still open I.e. if someone has worked out a method of reading a putt using the flag is that legal under 4.3.

Philbyk1

Visit site
To the OP- is he putting the flag across the line of the putt? I believe he is at least 3-4 feet back, maybe more so this is not the same as aim point where you straddle the line of the putt.
Also, how accurate is the caddie when he puts the flag down? And when he lies on the flag, how accurate will the slope be get through clothing, range book, divots, etc in his bib pockets?
Don’t want to repeat myself. Just look at how precise it is pre lying down next time you see reed play.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes more traction from those who get aim point technique. Most of the negatives (apart from the abuse) have been around they don’t see why it is an advantage. The rule point is still open I.e. if someone has worked out a method of reading a putt using the flag is that legal under 4.3.

I've done Aimpoint and cant see any benefit from laying the flag stick down. Aimpoint is all about standing up and measuring slope and break through your feet, walking along between ball and cup and remeasuring and finally getting the break from using fingers and arm length to measure and calibrate the Aimpoint.

Anyway, if ColinL says theres no infringement then there is no infringement!

Philbyk1

Visit site
I've done Aimpoint and cant see any benefit from laying the flag stick down. Aimpoint is all about standing up and measuring slope and break through your feet, walking along between ball and cup and remeasuring and finally getting the break from using fingers and arm length to measure and calibrate the Aimpoint.

Agreed not the same as aim point but in my view similar principle. Hadnt appreciated Colin L was rules guru so take that as read.