Chipping practice

Kennysarmy

Visit site
My new club has just opened a short game area where you can practice your chipping and bunker shots. The green is not for putting and so will probably end up running slower than the actual greens I'd imagine.

I was thinking if you practice a lot on the chipping green with slower greens might you get used to having to chip the ball closer to the hole, so then thought I'd research some kind of circular target I could lay out on the green and just practice hitting to a target rather than get sucked in to the outcome of chipping to a flag!

Does anyone use any such target? I looked on Amazon and there is something you can buy - but very expensive for what it is!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masters-Eyeline-Golf-Target-Circles/dp/B004S66CAO?th=1&psc=1

Thought I'd just use a bit of washing line with a loop so I could lay it out to whatever sized circle I need as a target.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use alignment sticks.
Put them on the ground where you want the ball to land.
Start 3’ apart and gradually close them so your landing area gets smaller.
Teaches you carry ,but roll out as you say is a skill learnt on the course.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I use alignment sticks.
Put them on the ground where you want the ball to land.
Start 3’ apart and gradually close them so your landing area gets smaller.
Teaches you carry ,but roll out as you say is a skill learnt on the course.

That's a good shout - I already have two of them - job done. I guess I could even lay a couple of clubs the other way to form a square...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also use an old drinks bottle and try to hit it.
Some of these new practice things are so expensive I have always tried to use what I carry in my bag anyway.

Good one with a stick is when practicing putting put your stick right in front of the hole .
You need to hit hard enough to bounce the ball over it, really helps with holing short putts firmly.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Towel is the other one, lay it on the ground and try to land it on there. The key to practice is being able to hit a target, if you're doing that for each club then you can start judging roll out on course. A bad chip can look good if you're just focusing on how close it is to the hole rather than what you were trying to do.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when i first started i did a fair bit of Chipping practice, a couple of times a day at times. i used to use a bucket of water for lob shots and an old upturned brolly for longer shots. did wonders for my short game. doesn't have to be on a chipping green, whe where in a Holiday cottage up a hill for 3 months and used the field next door then when we moved the back garden, thoughi'm lucky that is quite large.

Humpy

Visit site
Why not use a hula hoop? No, not the crisp snacks as you'd have to very accurate to hit them!

Boomy

Visit site
Use it to develop your ‘feel’ for chipping around the green then the putting surface isn't an issue. Alternatively if you want to look at the roll as well you could put objects down at different point on the green and aim for those randomly. I know it has helped me massively in the past by just working on touch/feel off the club around the green.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Your lofts will be different from mine but my PW flies half way and runs the rest, and my 7 iron flies a third and runs two thirds.
So if I have a 12 yard chip I can land my wedge 6 yards away or my 7 iron 4 yards.
It may be handy to know what your clubs fly/run.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Also useful to try different techniques, ball positions, clubs etc while trying to land in the same spot, to understand effect on rollout... then take special care on your first chip of tge day on course to see if it reacts any differently... youll be surprised how little difference it will probably make between practice and real..

eddie_1878

Visit site
Your lofts will be different from mine but my PW flies half way and runs the rest, and my 7 iron flies a third and runs two thirds.
So if I have a 12 yard chip I can land my wedge 6 yards away or my 7 iron 4 yards.
It may be handy to know what your clubs fly/run.

This is the ticket.