Patrick Read’s caddie

Philbyk1

Visit site
Hi Having watched Patrick Read’s caddy this weekend I was intrigued about whether his use of the flag when helping line up putts was legal. He regularly uses the flag by Placing it on the green such that it might be used to assess the slope. Having looked at many images this is clearly something he does deliberately as it is such an unusual position for the flag to be and always seems to be perpendicular to the hole. If you watch Reads first putt on 17 on the final day you will see what I mean and also the attached files also show this is not an isolated incident. Read often looks at the hole from behind the caddy and would therefore be able to see the line of the putt easier because The flag is acting as a spirit level. Any thoughts?
https://images.app.goo.gl/1uPdB4GsYrPQxwo6A
https://images.app.goo.gl/5jK6fnnH3jULqm5t8

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm interested to know why you think it helps?

Philbyk1

Visit site
The way he places it it easier to see if one end on the flag is higher or lower that the other as it gives a point of reference. That amount it is determines the slope. I don’t think it is legal in the same way you can’t use a water bottle as a spirit level. But if it is try it as it works!

Philbyk1

Visit site
What exactly is “illegal” - can you highlight the relevant rule that’s being broken by a flag being put on the green ?‍♂️
Of course there is nothing wrong There with placing the flag on the green. But the way he places which is very unusual is always perpendicular to the hole. If you drew a line from from the flag to the hole it would always be a right angle. I think this allows him a better reference as to the slope of the green. Next time you are on the course lie the flag across the slope of the green. You will easily be able to see the slope much easier. Hence why I think it is illegal.

D

Deleted member 15344

Of course there is nothing wrong There with placing the flag on the green. But the way he places which is very unusual is always perpendicular to the hole. If you drew a line from from the flag to the hole it would always be a right angle. I think this allows him a better reference as to the slope of the green. Next time you are on the course lie the flag across the slope of the green. You will easily be able to see the slope much easier. Hence why I think it is illegal.

So which rule is he breaking ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry somebody inferred I don’t play golfseemed to indicate I didn’t play

i think he is breaking 14-3
It’s laying a flag on the ground - if it was to show the line of a putt then maybe you would have a putt - but it’s across the green and he is on top of it - it’s not going to give him anything that he couldn’t see with his own eyes.

If it was any other player than Reed do you think you would even suggest any rule break ?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Rule 14-3, which states that during a stipulated round, the player shall not use any artificial device or unusual equipment for the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions which might affect his play.
No it doesn't, be even if it did, how is laying a stick down measuring anything.