Can a concession such as this be discounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

genebrecht

Visit site
In an 18 hole pairs stblfd semi-final, the winner being the side with most points and with no water free line of putt to the hole the greens became unplayable - (with most of the general play golfers walking off). on reaching the 10th tee a dispute arose with one pair saying we are not continuing its unplayable, their opponents being prepared to continue on -

resulting in words such as "you can have the match we are off", with no official available on reaching the clubhouse immediately phoned the comp sec registering a protest about having to play on an unplayable Course.

incidentally the other semi finalists paddled on to complete 18 holes.

Those giving up are asking that the match be continues from the 10th tee, their opponents now in the final , saying too bad they conceded it and if forced to complete the match should they then lose would be making a protest.

It is unfortunate they said "you can have the match" and not just refused to continue - what do we do now ?

Is this a concession that cannot be refused or just a poor choice of words for suspending play ?

any rules proof advice would be appreciated.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember a thread like this a while ago.

unfortunately, I would believe the concession stands...especially if the other pair carried on to complete the 18 holes.

If the weather was that bad that the course was unplayable, a club representative should have closed the course, effectively stopping the match and then it would need to be replayed.

That’s how I would interpret it, but it’s more on the competition rules local to the club, rather than anything in the actual Rules of Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I don't think this was established last time.
How many points did each pair have on the 10th, and did the pair who were saying they were prepared to continue, actually continue?

Other than that
Let
It
Go
😀

Status
Not open for further replies.