Can a concession such as this be discounted

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the Committee does not decide that the course was unplayable, then the side that left is disqualified. It's covered in Rule 6-8.

That's really helpful tnks, just double check with you if I may, the Course was without doubt unplayable so we would be within the rules requiring the game to be played out from the 10th tee (where they had played to), does the fact that whilst discussing their intention to discontinue play they actually said something like "we are going no further you can have the match if that's the way you feel" as the other group are claiming that as a concession.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
That's really helpful tnks, just double check with you if I may, the Course was without doubt unplayable so we would be within the rules requiring the game to be played out from the 10th tee (where they had played to), does the fact that whilst discussing their intention to discontinue play they actually said something like "we are going no further you can have the match if that's the way you feel" as the other group are claiming that as a concession.
It was not match play - there can be no such thing as a "concession" as in the Rules of golf.
It is now difficult for the Committee to determine that the course was unplayable - it should have been done at the time and play suspended. Imo, they have only two choices:
1. the side that discontinued play are in breach of Rule 6-8 and are disqualified, ie, the course was playable.
2. the course was indeed unplayable and all games played on that day are null and void and must be replayed from the beginning.
Neither is going to be well-received, and that is one of the consequences of the Committee not taking action at the appropriate time.

Last edited:

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
much appreciate the info - it was determined on the day the course was unplayable - just only inexperienced ctee members available who wouldn`t make a decision - reckon we can sort from your info - many thanks to all who gave advice.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
2. the course was indeed unplayable and all games played on that day are null and void and must be replayed from the beginning.

The trouble is, as I've seen before, some will stay out in absolutely any weather and then say that the course MUST have been playable because they played it ! Of, course, when the pair walked off there is No proof that the other pair was able to, or did, manage to play each and every remaining hole.
I'm sure that there is no strict definition of unplayable but I generally feel that if the greens are flooded to the extent that it's impossible to find a line to putt that doesn't require putting through an accumulation of water then it is really unplayable.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure that there is no strict definition of unplayable but I generally feel that if the greens are flooded to the extent that it's impossible to find a line to putt that doesn't require putting through an accumulation of water then it is really unplayable.

The rules agree with you!

33-2d/2
If all the area around a hole contains casual water, in stroke play the course should be considered unplayable and the Committee should suspend play under Rule 33-2d. In match play, the Committee should relocate the hole.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule 2 - "In match play the game is played by holes." The game in the original post is a game of Stableford with the winner being the side with the most points. It's certainly a knockout competition, but it's not match play. Rule 2 is not applicable.
I am not convinced. There is no compulsion to continue if one side has accrued so many points that the other side cannot score enough in the remaining holes to catch them. They, as in any match, may finish the match when one side cannot win or tie.

They have completed 16 holes. The 17th & 18th are 800 yards out and back from the clubhouse. The leading side have 48 points after 16 holes and the other side have 30 and decide not to continue. Would you DQ the leading side if they followed them in? Or must they continue and find a marker?

Further, if a side cannot score on a hole, must they continue and hole out on that hole?

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It seems to me that it is neither match play or strike play but a hybrid version of the game. The FoG do not cover this format so the club should, within it's conditions of competition, define which rules apply.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They have completed 16 holes. The 17th & 18th are 800 yards out and back from the clubhouse. The leading side have 48 points after 16 holes and the other side have 30 and decide not to continue. Would you DQ the leading side if they followed them in? Or must they continue and find a marker?

QUOTE]

Again this a stableford match they could just record NR on the remaining holes. Assuming that that the other side are willing to sign the card before leaving the course.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

/QUOTE]

Again this a stableford match they could just record NR on the remaining holes. Assuming that that the other side are willing to sign the card before leaving the course.

And what if the leading side decided to walk in leaving the other side on the 17th tee?

But given rulie's ruling do you see it as a match?