Can a concession such as this be discounted

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In an 18 hole pairs stblfd semi-final, the winner being the side with most points and with no water free line of putt to the hole the greens became unplayable - (with most of the general play golfers walking off). on reaching the 10th tee a dispute arose with one pair saying we are not continuing its unplayable, their opponents being prepared to continue on -

resulting in words such as "you can have the match we are off", with no official available on reaching the clubhouse immediately phoned the comp sec registering a protest about having to play on an unplayable Course.

incidentally the other semi finalists paddled on to complete 18 holes.

Those giving up are asking that the match be continues from the 10th tee, their opponents now in the final , saying too bad they conceded it and if forced to complete the match should they then lose would be making a protest.

It is unfortunate they said "you can have the match" and not just refused to continue - what do we do now ?

Is this a concession that cannot be refused or just a poor choice of words for suspending play ?

any rules proof advice would be appreciated.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely this is a 4ball stroke play event?

As such is their scope for concession in this situation?

If their is, then your use of the disclaimer "such as" makes it impossible to rule as to whether it was, or wasn't, an unqualified concession of the match or whether it was a qualified one such as "If the committee don't agree that the course is unplayable then you can have it".

One for the committee to unravel!

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2 divisions in a league - 18 hole stblfd - after so many rounds the top eight pairs from each division unite for a KO format, winning pair being those with the most points after 18 holes. its a match based on total points not on holes won.
Think we are stuffed whatever is decided.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 divisions in a league - 18 hole stblfd - after so many rounds the top eight pairs from each division unite for a KO format, winning pair being those with the most points after 18 holes. its a match based on total points not on holes won.
Think we are stuffed whatever is decided.

So this was in the semi final of the KO round?

The definitions don't specify how the scoring is done in a four ball match. ie Whether it is no of holes or total s'ford points.
I'm not sure why you see a problem

Last edited:

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
tnks for response. yes semi/f betterball ie best pts scored counting, result being the best total after 18 holes, evidence obtained confirms the Course was unplayable and should have been declared so by ctee man at Course who wimped out on doing this because other pairing were happy to play on.
problem is do we tell them to complete game by playing from the 10th to get an 18 hole points total or take the pairs refusal to play on as a concession, currently there is a 50/50 split on which way to go.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If my op said to me “you can have the match I’m off “ that’s a concession surely .
Cant see any other outcome.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Your doomed, learn from the experience. Committee guy seems a bit slack.

that's polite - the only other ctee man around was in the opposing pair - also a bit slack as should have declared it unplayable several holes earlier when the only way they could get the ball thro the water to the hole was to chip from on the green. aye -doomed

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
that's polite - the only other ctee man around was in the opposing pair - also a bit slack as should have declared it unplayable several holes earlier when the only way they could get the ball thro the water to the hole was to chip from on the green. aye -doomed

Although I doubt it will change the decision, a strongly worded letter to the main committee stating your case and the attitude of the committee member might be in order.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Although I doubt it will change the decision, a strongly worded letter to the main committee stating your case and the attitude of the committee member might be in order.

Many thanks for the input - doesn`t help tho` as would have to write it to myself, I know what I would like to happen just trying to make sure that what we decide is in accordance with the rules

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many thanks for the input - doesn`t help tho` as would have to write it to myself, I know what I would like to happen just trying to make sure that what we decide is in accordance with the rules

Of course "The Committee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf."
and "
If a claim is not made in accordance with Rule 2-5, it must not be considered by the Committee."

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Am not sure if this is match play as result is based on stblfd points total after 18 holes, the claim is that the Course was in an unplayable state, which according to the most reputable witnesses was true, on refusing to continue play they phoned the comp sec from the clubhouse advising the situ asking for the game be allowed to play to a conclusion at a later date, it is because their opponents say they would have continued play and they conceded we are where we are, I don`t feel that just because your opponents are daft enough to be willing to play when the greens are totally waterlogged others should have to play on in unplayable conditions or lose there game.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am not sure if this is match play as result is based on stblfd points total after 18 holes, the claim is that the Course was in an unplayable state, which according to the most reputable witnesses was true, on refusing to continue play they phoned the comp sec from the clubhouse advising the situ asking for the game be allowed to play to a conclusion at a later date, it is because their opponents say they would have continued play and they conceded we are where we are, I don`t feel that just because your opponents are daft enough to be willing to play when the greens are totally waterlogged others should have to play on in unplayable conditions or lose there game.

I'm further confused as to who said what - and now they would have continued, and they conceded?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Why do you think it is not a match?
Rule 2 - "In match play the game is played by holes." The game in the original post is a game of Stableford with the winner being the side with the most points. It's certainly a knockout competition, but it's not match play. Rule 2 is not applicable.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm further confused as to who said what - and now they would have continued, and they conceded?
Sorry if confused you - players A said we are not continuing, the Course is unplayable as the only way to play the ball on the green is to chip it as any attempt to use a putter cannot get the ball to go more than 12 feet, players B said we are prepared to carry one irrespective.

Should we be forcing anyone to play out their game when the fair a proper playing of the game is not possible because of conditions caused by bad weather. We just want make a fair decision keeping to the rules, the opinion within the Club is 50-50 as to whether to continue with the remaining 9 holes or for those willing to have played on go into the final. however it is the ctee that will make a decision and would prefer to be able to say it was done so according to the Rules - but not sure what they are.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry if confused you - players A said we are not continuing, the Course is unplayable as the only way to play the ball on the green is to chip it as any attempt to use a putter cannot get the ball to go more than 12 feet, players B said we are prepared to carry one irrespective.

Should we be forcing anyone to play out their game when the fair a proper playing of the game is not possible because of conditions caused by bad weather. We just want make a fair decision keeping to the rules, the opinion within the Club is 50-50 as to whether to continue with the remaining 9 holes or for those willing to have played on go into the final. however it is the ctee that will make a decision and would prefer to be able to say it was done so according to the Rules - but not sure what they are.
If the Committee does not decide that the course was unplayable, then the side that left is disqualified. It's covered in Rule 6-8.