Patrick Read’s caddie

Thread starter #43
Thanks your probably right. It just looked really odd and clearly part of a routine when I was watching the final round in Dubai today and then to find he does that all the time seemed even odder. I’ll get back to the sherry 😂

Crow

Crow Person
One thing I would add, this thread has been running for a while now and we haven't had any input from one of our resident rules experts which we normally would have, maybe there is a bit of a grey area here?

Thread starter #45
Thanks your probably right. It just looked really odd and clearly part of a routine when I was watching the final round in Dubai today and then to find he does that all the time seemed even odder. I’ll get back to the sherry 😂
One thing I would add, this thread has been running for a while now and we haven't had any input from one of our resident rules experts which we normally would have, maybe there is a bit of a grey area here?
would welcome that so many images of this strange ritual it can’t be superstition.

Thread starter #47
Staggering how many times you see Reed's caddie with the flag held in this way. Always perpendicular to the hole No one else seems to do it. Back to the sherry

Attachments

Colin L

Tour Winner
Running for a while? It was only started at 5.49 this evening!

Anyway, you guys are doing a good enough if protracted job. (y)

Thread starter #53
What a boorish little man you are. Snipping away but not actually adding any value. Thankfully I am in contact with two tour caddies who are looking in to it as they agree it is very odd and had not noticed it before. I wont bother posting any developments as clearly you know everything already!

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
What a boorish little man you are. Snipping away but not actually adding any value. Thankfully I am in contact with two tour caddies who are looking in to it as they agree it is very odd and had not noticed it before. I wont bother posting any developments as clearly you know everything already!
And this is how it starts....just keep asking the same stupid question enough times abs sane people start the doubt themselves for no good reason.....

I see one of those pics was with a brolly.....assume that wasn’t today!?!

Given that there's a referee with them - and Tour referees tend to be pretty conversant with the rules - , I suspect they'd have pulled him on this if it were in fact illegal.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Cant say ive noticed but does he leave it there when putting or take it with him ? If its not left there during the stroke i cant see there bn any issues

Thread starter #58
Given that there's a referee with them - and Tour referees tend to be pretty conversant with the rules - , I suspect they'd have pulled him on this if it were in fact illegal.
Thanks for your reasoned reply. I agree I have never seen anything like it before. Every time in Dubai he got to the flag first he placed the flag down in a very precise way across the green and perpendicular (shame google has been down as most on here will have to wait until tomorrow to find out what that means) to the hole. He does it at all tournaments so not isolated. I have found over 50 images of him doing it but not one of any other pro or caddie doing the same. So clearly unique to him.
On occasions he also lies down on top of it. Consensus at least from this thread is that he is not gaining any read but it is a very strange ritual to repeat over and over. I was assuming there was some rule relating to this as clearly you cant use the flag to say help with lining the putt up and there must be other restrictions about its use. thanks anyway. Thanks anyway

Thread starter #59
Cant say ive noticed but does he leave it there when putting or take it with him ? If its not left there during the stroke i cant see there bn any issues
No he does not leave it there during putting but it is so precise it gives the impression it is part of his process of reading the putt. To me that make sense as the flag gives reference. If you put two dots on a wall and ask someone if they are level you will get a much more accurate response if you join the lines. The flag does much the same on a green as without the flag we are influenced by the background and the rest of the green. A common misread is when a putt goes subtly against the general shape of the green or is a double breaker. The flag helps isolate the field of vision as you can see if the actual putting line is above or below the flag especially when you lie flat on the ground as he does. When you watch Justin Rose putt he uses his feet to determine the slope. There is a great youtube clip (attached) of him explaining why he does this and how he is looking for the flat putt point. I simply believe Reed's caddie is using the flag do something similar.
I think you are saying you can use the flag as long as you take it away. all good then