Over subscribed club competitions

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given a lot of clubs have seen an increase in memberships this year, the scramble for Winter competition times with reduced daylight hours will be fierce. How does your club manage this ?

We simply struggle to get all the weekend golfers on the course on one day in Winter. We therefore have an overspill on the Sunday and the competitions are reduced to 13 holes.

Just trying to see what other clubs do in similar situations.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We don't have much in the way of winter competitions. A winter league which takes place on Sunday morning, it has a shotgun start and there are blank weeks scheduled for each pair.

The other main competition is a greensomes matchplay knockout for which a draw takes place and pairs organise their own tee times with defined cut-offs for each round to be completed.

The only other things going on are two or three Christmas comps which take place on a Saturday close to Christmas and are as much about what goes on after the comp as during it.

All of the comps are run on a first come, first served basis, with a reserve sheet for dropouts.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s fasted finger first at ours with BRS
Being a fair weather golfer it doesn’t bother me much but can understand why some get irate.
Last winter I believe you could only book in one mate as to all your four ball which gave others a chance.
Funny enough someone always manages to beat that system.

D

Deleted member 21258

Are you saying the club is already running the comp on both days at the weekend ? I think you are?

If that is the case then surely there isn't an answer to your question. Only other options could be to make it a week long competition(only helps if there are members playing at the weekend to play in the comp, rather than during the week) or less members who want to play at the weekend.

It sounds like you have to many members wanting to play at the weekend and in winter that problem is much bigger due to less light. Thats the main reason why I left BD, no point in being a member somewhere you can not get a tee time to play irrelevant of comps or not being on(and BD did not have compulsory comp entry at certain tee times, so all tee times were available for booking for all members).

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you saying the club is already running the comp on both days at the weekend ? I think you are?

If that is the case then surely there isn't an answer to your question. Only other options could be to make it a week long competition(only helps if there are members playing at the weekend to play in the comp, rather than during the week) or less members who want to play at the weekend.

It sounds like you have to many members wanting to play at the weekend and in winter that problem is much bigger due to less light. Thats the main reason why I left BD, no point in being a member somewhere you can not get a tee time to play irrelevant of comps or not being on(and BD did not have compulsory comp entry at certain tee times, so all tee times were available for booking for all members).

Yes, we operate the comps Saturday and Sunday atm. I'm just trying to see what other clubs do. There's talk of maybe running the same comp Saturday and Wednesday instead, which wouldn't really suit the 9-5 workers. After ideas really.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, we operate the comps Saturday and Sunday atm. I'm just trying to see what other clubs do. There's talk of maybe running the same comp Saturday and Wednesday instead, which wouldn't really suit the 9-5 workers. After ideas really.

one previous club in summer used to run their midweek comp monday-friday and then run weekend comps as and when they chose (as had longer days and plenty of tee times), in winter they ran very few weekend only comps but extended the summer midweek comps to be winter all week comps ie monday-sunday

basically spread any comp traffic across the whole week and took the pressure off the limited number of weekend tees through winter

another option would be to have less 7 day members :eek:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
We play comps every day, and at the end of the week your best round counts as your score in the 'main' comp. That way you can play whenever you want. It does mean some of the addicts spend about £25 a week in entry fees, but up to now its not for handicap of anything and is basically just pocket money for the retired guys. Our club manager used to run pretty draconian handicap adjustment, but not sure how WHS is going to affect that?

Theres also a weekend comp, normally an unusual comp like a walz, or a yellow ball etc, thats on one of the weekend days.

None of the comps are drawn, so its play with your friends and fastest finger first on BRS.

Under the fairly usual circumstances that the tee is fully booked, we enforce a rule that you can only play once at the weekend. If by Friday there are spaces, they are fair game for anyone.

Dont think theres ever been a friday where theres not been a slim chance to get 2 games.

Problem normally goes away in november when any indian summer passes and people abandon their ambitions to get better this winter....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fastest fingers first where I play. Even in the shortest days in mid winter if you can get out by 12.30 pm you still have a chance of getting round. In summer the last guys who regularly play in the Saturday comp normally go out around that time.

We also have a 9 hole course an there is normally an 18 hole comp on that course at the same time so some choose to play in that.