Pro rata membership

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a normal monthly DD payment for the full 12 months, or you can pay a "monthly membership" fee to come and go as you please. The monthly membership works out at about 25% dearer than committing to the full 12 months membership. I believe you only have to pay the joining fee once also.

I was considering the monthly myself. It's good value for the fair weather players provided they remember to cancel things as soon as the weather turns. However it's pretty bad value if we ever get a warm dry winter or you're lazy about keeping on top of DDs you don't use.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think each case should be looked on per individual merits.

Eg. if somebody joined the Club 2 years’ ago no way. Alternatively if the person has been a member for 30 years, past Captain, been on several committees and regularly spends money behind the bar a more sympathetic response would be required.

This is similar as when somebody is injured say a knee replacement.

Each one should be looked at on an individual basis and not a best fit for all.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's usual that when the consumer says 'what's fair' it typically means, what's fair for them and rarely carries any cost 'penalty' to the consumer

I reckon asking for special dispensation for a reduced term membership would have more chance of being granted of they offer to pay more than 1/12 each month, say 1/8

Then both the member and the club minimise their loss because both sides are making a concession, not just the club

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Had a similar situation in January at my old club. Membership renewal due at the beginning of Jan but I was moving away for good on 27th. Had been at the club for 15 years, had a word with the treasurer in advance. Was on the monthly pay scheme. Offered up our two spots to the waiting list and asked if I could pay the month for Jan for both of us so we could play until we left, to which he agreed. Happy days.

RichA

Visit site
Some members at ours talk about the monthly payment scheme like it's a rolling membership that they can drop any time, not realising that they've signed a contract agreeing to pay their annual subscription over 12 months.
I'm fairly sure our owners wouldn't let somebody just walk away and cancel their DD without consequence.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It's usual that when the consumer says 'what's fair' it typically means, what's fair for them and rarely carries any cost 'penalty' to the consumer

I reckon asking for special dispensation for a reduced term membership would have more chance of being granted of they offer to pay more than 1/12 each month, say 1/8

Then both the member and the club minimise their loss because both sides are making a concession, not just the club
That's exactly what I would offer the member if I was in charge. Let's just say that membership is £1200 for the year, I would do 6 month Summer membership for £800 or £900.

That way you are least offering to meet the person half way. That is better than not making an effort at all.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Our club does flexi golf and have on occaission took a couple of months membership for long term members moving away but 6 months is probably a pain to administer as their systems probably don’t cater for it, people at the club will forget and unscrupulous people will start to take advantage.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Is the member still going to play at the club on an infrequent basis, or will the move be the end of playing opportunities?
I pay mine on direct debit and can cancel anytime. If I was going to come back for an occasional game I could just get a member to sign me in.

If you read the small print it’s not actually that straightforward as monthly direct debit payments are generally collected by a finance company and actually form part of a finance agreement. Technically you may well find that, if you cancel part of the way through the year, the finance company are entitled to pursue you for the balance as you are likely to be in breach of the agreement.

The reality is, of course, likely to be different and no outstanding monies will be pursued. But never say never.

D-S

Visit site
If you read the small print it’s not actually that straightforward as monthly direct debit payments are generally collected by a finance company and actually form part of a finance agreement. Technically you may well find that, if you cancel part of the way through the year, the finance company are entitled to pursue you for the balance as you are likely to be in breach of the agreement.

The reality is, of course, likely to be different and no outstanding monies will be pursued. But never say never.
Defaulting on such a credit agreement might show up on your credit score mightn’t it?