Opponents asking for yardages

Scooby999

Club Champion
Visit site
If it speeds the game up, go for it! I do have a chuckle though when I ask did it make any difference and they say no really cause I don't know what club I hit to 174 yards lol

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I play for the enjoyment and the friendliness of the game so I'll always answer any question an opponent asks - they still have to execute their own shot so I can't see it really matters.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well you learn something everyday!

I've always thought that in competitive play it's a penalty to ask for a yardage. Ok if someone tells you, but you can't ask.

Probably one of the reasons why I never ask, although I don't have a problem with it either way.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well you learn something everyday!

I've always thought that in competitive play it's a penalty to ask for a yardage. Ok if someone tells you, but you can't ask.

Probably one of the reasons why I never ask, although I don't have a problem with it either way.

The yardage is a question of fact, so it's ok to ask and tell

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
its only fact if the person using the rangefinder knows how to..

Last week one of our 4ball had borrowed one and was announcing to all who wanted to know yardages which were quite obviously wrong... Confirmed by my cheap app on the iphone......;)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
its only fact if the person using the rangefinder knows how to..

Last week one of our 4ball had borrowed one and was announcing to all who wanted to know yardages which were quite obviously wrong... Confirmed by my cheap app on the iphone......;)

Could be the cheap app on your I-phone that's wrong?

D

Deleted member 15344

Did you not tell him that his yardages were wrong ?

beau d.

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No problem for me, did so yesterday with my opponent in a SGU Taskers Trophy match, and here is the R&A's stance, took from.....http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/...les-Regarding-Distance-Measuring-Devices.aspx

Q. If the Local Rules for distance-measuring devices is in place, may players share a distance-measuring device?A. Yes, but it is important that players sharing devices do not unduly delay play. In addition, information on distance obtained from a distance-measuring device can be shared between the player, partner, fellow-competitor or opponent if so wished.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'll always tell them and tell them the correct distance. Golf is meant to be fun and even a match against another club isn't life and death. I'd rather have a good friendly game, in good company and let the result sort itself out. Mind you the new killer Homer after April 29th may not be so accommodating!

D

Deleted member 17920

I play for the enjoyment and the friendliness of the game so I'll always answer any question an opponent asks - they still have to execute their own shot so I can't see it really matters.
Agree with you on that one, it's not going to matter to me one bit if they know a yardage.

golfsaint

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As said before giving yardage only takes a second so I don't mind at all. But when they ask for a yardage when standing next to the 150 marker post -now that can take the :rant: :D

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
No problem for me, did so yesterday with my opponent in a SGU Taskers Trophy match, and here is the R&A's stance, took from.....http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/...les-Regarding-Distance-Measuring-Devices.aspx

Q. If the Local Rules for distance-measuring devices is in place, may players share a distance-measuring device?A. Yes, but it is important that players sharing devices do not unduly delay play. In addition, information on distance obtained from a distance-measuring device can be shared between the player, partner, fellow-competitor or opponent if so wished.
Quite a lot of "experienced" players at my club insist that sharing that information is against the rules just like the "what club did you use" confusion.

Last edited:

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lot of good opinion on here both for and against sharing. I do share, but sometimes it wears a bit thin, when that is the highlight of the conversation. I am in the camp of if you are so interested in pin positions etc, why not buy one,a lot of club members can't be that short of a bob or two surely.