Opponents asking for yardages

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I guess if you're the win-at-all-costs kind of person I can see why you would refuse.

Personally I'd rather win on the merit of my golf than denying stats to the opposition.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a bounce game no probs , I would probably tell them before they ask , in a medal or match play comp they can foxtrot oscar

Naughty - IMO...and so on every hole I would start pacing yardages to the flag. I suspect you'd get pretty cheesed off with me pretty darn quickly.

The only reason you wouldn't give me a yardage is that you feel you have an advantage over me - and yet I am assured that use of a DMD or other device does not give the user an advantage.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The problem is most people who ask for yardages are in the I don't need a GPS or laser club or are too tight too buy there own.

I will give yardages from my S3 with no problem though and often announce the yardage on par 3's if I know someone hadn't got a yardage device.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Naughty - IMO...and so on every hole I would start pacing yardages to the flag. I suspect you'd get pretty cheesed off with me pretty darn quickly.

The only reason you wouldn't give me a yardage is that you feel you have an advantage over me - and yet I am assured that use of a DMD or other device does not give the user an advantage.

..OR, he could just be a git!

:smirk:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem is most people who ask for yardages are in the I don't need a GPS or laser club or are too tight too buy there own.

What other reasons are there for not having one. The only other I can think of is that for some they undermine an aspect of playing the game. I deduce that there are some out there who would give me a yardage if I lied and pretended that I had forgotten mine or it was broke? Otherwise nope! really?

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com

Why so , if you want to know the yardages so much get yer own , they are easily available now less than the price of a fancy new driver

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
Got a garmin watch at the end of last year, but haven't really played much since unfortunately. I'd like to think I'd be happy to give yardages, but on the other hand I've a sneaky feeling I might get a bit annoyed if they asked me on every shot... I'd start to feel like their caddy!

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Presumably given your stance on these devices you would never have asked him. So he wouldn't have had the opportunity to tell you to F off?

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
I once played with a chap who tutted at my use of my Garmin and said he thought they should be banned.
Shortly after, when unable to spot a distance marker, he had the nerve to ask me what my watch said!!

I played in a match last week where my partner and I had kit and our opponents didn't .
We shared the info on every hole.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Happy enough to give the yardage if asked and also will ask "do you want a yardage" if they seem to be struggling to see a marker etc. Think I'd get a bit narked if I was asked every time though and also draw the line at trotting across/down fairways to give accurate yardages - unless it's a friendly game.

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If in a club comp an your not my 4bbb partner you wont be getting told simple as that buy one if you need to know distance

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not got a problem with it at all.

Not yet used my Sky Caddie watch in match play but just knowing the distance still leaves your opponent with the task of completing the shot.