Opinions on new golf app please

tapapp

Visit site
Hi All,

I'm creating a new mobile app that would allow golfers to connect to the clubhouse of the golf course they're at and order food/drink/merchandise to any hole on the course - the order will be delivered to you.

This could obviously range from a coffee on a cold morning, to a sandwich at lunch time to extra golf balls in case you're having a bad day!

If the golf course you went to offered this service do you think you would use it?
If not, what turns you off using it? If there were measures built in to avoid slowing down play would that help?
Have you ever wished you could order something during a round - say you got hungry at hole 11 knowing you have an hour/hour and a half until you finished?

I know in Europe they have someone driving around, and at some courses they have a phone at hole 8 for delivery to hole 9, but if you could get it anywhere on the course does that make a difference to you?

Interested to hear your opinions - good or bad!

Thanks all

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I honestly think you're trying to find a market that isn't there. The cost alone of having someone zoom all over the course to deliver a mars bar would be prohibitive. People will buy stuff before they go out so you're only really looking at a very small % of people on the course. As for food, just phone ahead if you're that desperate.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I honestly think you're trying to find a market that isn't there. The cost alone of having someone zoom all over the course to deliver a mars bar would be prohibitive. People will buy stuff before they go out so you're only really looking at a very small % of people on the course. As for food, just phone ahead if you're that desperate.

With my friend here. We have two loops going back to the clubhouse which is a common theme and to be honest if I wanted to order food I'd call the kitchen and get a bap playing the 8th but to be honest I'd survive on a banana and a bottle of water. Can't see the market and how will it get to the players hot on a course with long drives from the clubhouse to the 8th/9th/10th

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree, don't think id ever use it. I normally have food and water with me, and the one time I didn't, I was able to wait the hour I was hungry until i got back. A good few courses also have half way huts which sell snacks anyway. Don't think the market is there at all

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I do not take my phone onto the course, that aside I would not use it anyway, a little pre-planning is all that's required so I agree with others on here that I do not see a market for this.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a no from me I don't see the need and I don't see how it would work logistically. Who is going to deliver it? How are they going to know where you are when they deliver it? You don't really want a buggy driving backwards and forwards looking for whoever ordered it. It just seems an overly complicated solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist.

Goldie

Club Champion
Visit site
Don't see the point in it, most courses have a clubhouse/halfway house halfway round where you can get refreshments. And any golfer will tell you it's very rare they would tee off for a round without enough balls to play.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Personally, I don't think I would use it. If there is a market for this at all, I think it would be with resort courses in holiday regions, where they often already have a snacks & refreshment cart going round.

What I could see working, though, is a convenient way to pre-order food in the club house when you are coming down the 16th or 17th hole, maybe, so that it is ready and waiting for you when you come in. But that is less something that requires an app (neither is your original idea, btw.), a simple phone call to the club house would suffice if they were interested in offering that service.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I'd use that. Seems a bit awkward. Why would you order a sandwich to say, hole 13 or something which might be miles away from the clubhouse. And then if they're late bringing it you have to stand around on the 13th potentially holding up play? I can't see it working.

Absolute best case scenario would be on courses where the 9th green / 10th tee is next to club house, you could order something on your front nine to be picked up when you're half way round. But you could just jog into the clubhouse and pick something up then anyway. Generally I can't see a lot of use for it.

Last edited:

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
I think I'd use it occasionally, be good to have extra water if I'd ran out.

However, if it was popular i cant see clubs employing a delivery driver, and to make it worth while the prices would probably go up too meaning I'd just stock up like everyone else prior to starting my round.