Open 2021

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't really use the word British to describe anything, I'm not a fan of it. Should just call it the English Open really.
There's already one of these on the European Tour https://www.golfchannel.com/tours/european-tour/2021/english-open
Incidentally, it's at RSG/Sandwich - next month!
I've no problem with it being called 'The British Open', especially by US folk to differentiate it from their (US) Open. But its correct title is, and will always be, simply 'The Open'.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's a major course upgrade after being based at a couple of the top four courses in Warwickshire for most of it's history - even if it's going to get called the Cazoo English Open - good to hear there will be another European Tour event on a proper links
I'm now a bit confused...Did another search and London Club came up as hosting it! And looking at ET schedule, there's no mention of 'English Open'! Though there's the Cazoo Open at London Club on it. o_O

Last edited:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
I'm now a bit confused...Did another search and London Club came up as hosting it! And looking at ET schedule, there's no mention of 'English Open'! Though there's the Cazoo Op[en at London Club on it. o_O
Ha ha - I should have done what you just did rather than following your link - Someone at the Golf channel obviously getting it mixed up with The Open - so not much of an upgrade in venue from last year.

sunshine

Visit site
Interesting discussion on footwear here - I've done the hiking boots/shoes (Salomon), golf shoes, but a week walking around Carnoustie in 2018 (which included a 24 mile day) that started with golf shoes very quickly moved onto the most comfortable pair of running shoes I could get - I'll give up a bit of extra traction for comfort when walking over the terrain of a links course all day. My trainer style golf shoes (Nike, Adidas and Puma) are all comfortable for a round of golf - different matter when it's a twelve hour day out on the links.

A rainy day/forecast would likely see me opt for the hiking boots though.

Wearing trainer style spikeless golf shoes could be a good option.

Rocking up in spiked FJ shoes is akin to wearing football boots to sit in the stand at Old Trafford.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wearing trainer style spikeless golf shoes could be a good option.

Rocking up in spiked FJ shoes is akin to wearing football boots to sit in the stand at Old Trafford.
On a similar subject, I find it amusing that caddies don't even wear golf shoes, they seem to just wear regular trainers. I wonder why the same attire rules as the players don't apply to them, i.e. they are able to wear shorts as well while the player isn't.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
On a similar subject, I find it amusing that caddies don't even wear golf shoes, they seem to just wear regular trainers. I wonder why the same attire rules as the players don't apply to them, i.e. they are able to wear shorts as well while the player isn't.
Golfers need some extra traction for stability - If I'm at a golf tournament my camera equipment is at times in the same ball park of awkward to lug about and heavy as a tour bag - comfort is everything

sunshine

Visit site
Don't disagree but running shoes are still more comfortable if out there all day.

Yes I fully agree with you. Which is why caddies almost exclusively wear running shoes.

I was chatting to a caddy at the LET event at Centurion a couple of weeks ago. The topic came up - she was wearing goretex nike running shoes for walking through the wet grass.

Golf shoes are increasingly becoming running shoes with deeper tread for more grip. Don't understand why anyone would wear the old school style patent brogues with leather soles for a 4 hour walk.

sunshine

Visit site
Missed a lot of the Open and relied on highlights to see the best action. After a couple of days of McGinley I thought I would give the BBC highlights a go, especially as there are no advert breaks.

What a mistake. The coverage was so dumbed down. The wonderful Ken Brown was reduced to commenting on the weather and the view, with almost zero insight in his little sections other than stating the obvious. The Sky team delivered more insight in 5 minutes than the whole 2 hour BBC programme.

Now I recognise this is the remit of the BBC - it is trying to make the programme accessible to all, in particular non-golfers, so fair play to them. Sky, on the other hand, were clearly targeting an audience of golf fans as you would expect from a subscription model. Made me really appreciate how lucky we are to have Sky, despite Roe and McGinley.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Wow.

Maybe Alliss was a great commentator in the 70s and 80s, I don't know. The last 20 years he talked utter drivel and was a hopelessly out of touch dinosaur.

100%

I'm not old enough to remember a time when he wasn't talking absolute rubbish.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Wow.

Maybe Alliss was a great commentator in the 70s and 80s, I don't know. The last 20 years he talked utter drivel and was a hopelessly out of touch dinosaur.

Yep...he didn't even put his pronouns after his name on his headed note paper! :)

It was drivel and rambling sometimes and often genius ??