Open 2021

sunshine

Visit site
If you don't see those comments as disrespectful, I'm lost for words.

Nothing disrespectful at all. Maybe he was a great commentator in the 70s and 80s, I really don't know, sounds like you are viewing with rose tinted specs. It became embarrassing listening to his incoherent rambling. When the BBC covered the USPGA a few years ago it was a total shambles, should have pensioned him off 20 years ago.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Nothing disrespectful at all. Maybe he was a great commentator in the 70s and 80s, I really don't know, sounds like you are viewing with rose tinted specs.

He introduced so many people to golf with TV programs like the Pro-celebrity Golf Challenge which ran for about 10 years, and A Round with Alliss.
He was still commentating nearly to the end of his life aged 89.
It seems we will never hear anyone like him again in an age when commentators in any sport have to be so pc and quite frankly, boring.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
He was just giving his opinion, just like you, it's nothing to do with respect for goodness sake.

Of course it is. The fact that he recently passed I'd have thought words like dinosaur were a bit harsh.
Everybody's entitled to their opinion but legends like Peter Aliss deserve better.
I wasn't into golf 20years ago so can only speak of him in his latter years.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course it is. The fact that he recently passed I'd have thought words like dinosaur were a bit harsh.
Everybody's entitled to their opinion but legends like Peter Aliss deserve better.
Why should he modify his opinion of someone just because the subject died? That would make him somewhat hypocritical wouldn't it?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was speaking to.my mate today who had just come back from The open as a guest of the R&A, he said the fairways and greens were still heavily watered, despite the rain the south of the UK has had in recent weeks. Would have been interesting if they gave managed to get it firmer according to him

Last edited:

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Was speaking to.my mate today who had just come back from The open as a guest of the R&A, he said the fairways and greens were still heavily watered, despite the rain the south of the UK has had in recent weeks. Would have been interesting if they gave managed to get it firmer according to him

It was pretty interesting anyway!

sunshine

Visit site

So you only heard him in the last 20 years and still consider him a legend? :oops:

If anything,,. it was the BBC who showed a lack of respect by keeping him on air when he clearly no longer followed the game and had no idea about the players.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
So you only heard him in the last 20 years and still consider him a legend? :oops:

If anything,,. it was the BBC who showed a lack of respect by keeping him on air when he clearly no longer followed the game and had no idea about the players.

I think that this is a case of “ if you can’t say something nice then shut it”

Let’s change the subject please

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Grass tends to need water to survive…..

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

He was OK, I guess being on the BBC at the height of its golf coverage meant a lot of waffle due to the lack of ad breaks, so we had to put up with stories about Mrs Miggings rock cakes ?. His latter years stuff was all over the shop at times, missing crucial goings on due to his love of an anecdote but at least he wasn't a Paul McGinley!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Did you not see any tee shots last week?

You were questioning why wouldn't they water fairways, and I was giving a reason as to why it would be deemed somewhat unusual for a links course to actually water them - given the supposedly heavy rain in the area in the weeks leading up to the tournament and also that the standard template for a links course in summer is firm fairways with scorched grass on them.