Open 2021

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
There have been reports that the F1 British GP at Silverstone may be exempt from the delays to the easing of restrictions in England and could go ahead with a full crowd as planned. If true perhaps the Open Championship may be the same?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
They were only ever aiming for (I think) up to 75% capacity, so 25k per day.

Still hoping to get there on the Friday. Will I? Who knows. Will be gutted if not, but it's not the end of the world!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you can seat 20,000 at Wembley then you should be okay with a few people in a big field with flags in!!

Sure, but it is stuff like transport and eating places in the tented village that they worry about. If everybody was sensible, would be fine, but if Rory was playing Bryson on Sunday, the punters might not be all that well spaced out.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sure, but it is stuff like transport and eating places in the tented village that they worry about. If everybody was sensible, would be fine, but if Rory was playing Bryson on Sunday, the punters might not be all that well spaced out.

Let's be 100% honest .. doesn't overly matter what happens on the day .. long as it's perceived as safe .. then hands can be washed and the public blamed for not following their bit

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

They manage at Wembley okay with all this and the window to arrive/leave is much more condensed….

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They manage at Wembley okay with all this and the window to arrive/leave is much more condensed….

Wembleys transport is 100 times better than sandwich 3 tube stations near by at Wembley

Sandwich has limited train service (increased normally I believe unsure about ATM) with park and rides into the complex

sunshine

Visit site
Even with lots more the capacity compared to 3 tube lines that are 5 min service on average isn't even comparable

In normal times it's roughly 1000 person a train

You are absolutely right. Capacity at Wembley will be increased to 45,000 for the knock out matches but there will be trains every 2minutes. There will still be a throng on the route back to Wembley Park tube.

But a football match is a short window with everyone getting in and out in 90 minutes. The golf lasts all day with more scope to stagger arrival and departure, with many people starting to drift off from 3pm and others staying until 8pm (apart from Sunday evening).

sunshine

Visit site
A few Americans might be a bit more reluctant to come with delta and no atmosphere.

I've been to the Open a couple of times and I can't recall seeing (or more precisely hearing) any Americans. Don't think there will be much difference - enough UK based people to sell out the venue every day.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been to the Open a couple of times and I can't recall seeing (or more precisely hearing) any Americans. Don't think there will be much difference - enough UK based people to sell out the venue every day.

Maybe he talking about players?

I meant the players, if the delay in end of lockdown adds extra hassle travelling, and might not be able to have their entourages.

orangepip

Visit site
I've been checking my mail frequently for a ticket update - my thinking is that they're waiting for an update from the government on what they can do but given the relatively short time frame I hope they get their skates on!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've been checking my mail frequently for a ticket update - my thinking is that they're waiting for an update from the government on what they can do but given the relatively short time frame I hope they get their skates on!

I'm surprised that there is this delay. As far as I'm concerned there were only 2 outcomes, full opening or an extension to the restrictions so should there simply have been Plan A and Plan B based on those scenarios? Discussions must have been happening behind the scenes throughout the last month so it's not like Monday's announcement came totally out of the blue.