Open 2021

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Interesting discussion on footwear here - I've done the hiking boots/shoes (Salomon), golf shoes, but a week walking around Carnoustie in 2018 (which included a 24 mile day) that started with golf shoes very quickly moved onto the most comfortable pair of running shoes I could get - I'll give up a bit of extra traction for comfort when walking over the terrain of a links course all day. My trainer style golf shoes (Nike, Adidas and Puma) are all comfortable for a round of golf - different matter when it's a twelve hour day out on the links.

A rainy day/forecast would likely see me opt for the hiking boots though.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
14th hole par 5 yest was a great watch

My mate made me laugh moaning that the pros were thanking the "free loaders" who are outside the course looking on and not us lol

Can't say I gave a rat's lol was just great to see koepkas bunker shot for example

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Currently watching rors and bland on the sunshine via the r&a website. Hd on the big telly .
You do need to give them your email address, but I can live with that.
I quite like the featured group experience - get a nice sense of the course and all the shots required.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can tell you live in London if you think that price is okay ??

Got to think of the occasion tho, it's the open, was a decent portion .. prob worth realistically £10 at most but I didn't think was too unreasonable

The free refill water was a great touch £5.50 for a bottle if you don't bring your own. Save there if you bring

Free phone power packs

Plenty of good value .. I mean it's no more than going the football food wise

Can of coke £2 which is a rip off really but my golf club for example a lemonade I think is £3?

I'd say take snacky bits especially some sweets for energy boosting

But not unreasonable to spend under £20 on lunch on a day out

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got to think of the occasion tho, it's the open, was a decent portion .. prob worth realistically £10 at most but I didn't think was too unreasonable

The free refill water was a great touch £5.50 for a bottle if you don't bring your own. Save there if you bring

Free phone power packs

Plenty of good value .. I mean it's no more than going the football food wise

Can of coke £2 which is a rip off really but my golf club for example a lemonade I think is £3?

I'd say take snacky bits especially some sweets for energy boosting

But not unreasonable to spend under £20 on lunch on a day out

Just had a look on the bay, they're selling for £20 .
If someone coukd.pick.one up.for.me.I'd be very grateful ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@pauljames87 I know that big events charge a premium so you know that you will be turned over. I'm sure the Open is no worse than other equivalents in this country. It doesn't make the prices okay though, we have just become conditioned to those levels.

I'm pleased your day went well. I haven't been to an Open but I have been to a couple of European Tour events and they have been great days. It's brilliant to see these players close up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@pauljames87 I know that big events charge a premium so you know that you will be turned over. I'm sure the Open is no worse than other equivalents in this country. It doesn't make the prices okay though, we have just become conditioned to those levels.

I'm pleased your day went well. I haven't been to an Open but I have been to a couple of European Tour events and they have been great days. It's brilliant to see these players close up.

Whilst I agree, the quality of the food was decent . This was 1300 and when I got London for my train home at 2200 I had MC Donald's chicken burger . £6 worlds apart

Sobel

Visit site
Louis struggling this evening, hoping he can forget about it tomorrow to give him a chance for a victory.

Edit : Saying that he‘s done well to keep on top of the recoveries.

Last edited:

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got about 1 hour to go on the journey back, what a great day out.

Got to the park and ride for 7.30 and we were on course by 8, such a smooth transfer process. Couldn't fault it.
Nice £5 bacon roll and we were managed to get seats right at the top looking down on the 1st green and over to the 2nd tee, stayed there until Rory came round followed him round until 12, sat on 16 and ate lunch that we purchased at the same as breakfast, which was a great decision as the queues looked crazy.
£130 dropped in thr shop and then we saw DJ, Brooks and Spieth in the afternoon and then headed off around 18.30, no queues for the bus and in the car and on the road by 19.00.
Loved it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Spent the day there, 6 of us, from parking the car to arriving back to the car park we all had a great day. Food was expensive as you would expect at a venue, plenty of water refill points, great viewing etc etc - spent a day with my son too which is rare but much enjoyed.

Great to see the worlds top golfers and admire their shot making ability and in awe as to their recovery shots when they do mess up

Great day and absolutely nothing to moan about ??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hope Marcel does well today and gets back on tour. Had the pleasure of meeting and chatting to him at nairn when he played there during the SO a few years ago. A lovely guy thats misunderstood. He even invited my mate and I out for a few holes later that afternoon, but was unable to due to work commitments. I won't be watching as I gave up my sky earlier this year, However will be rooting for Louis, fantastic swing and lovely to whatch hit a ball.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Morikawa is looking good. I love Louis's swing and demeanour, although someone should tell him that brown is not a good look, but I think he is starting to feel the weight of expectation weighing heavily on his shoulders. Spieth showed his weakness last evening and it may haunt him today.

I would love to see Rahmbo come storming through, and good finishes for Siem and glad to see Danny Willett have a good showing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hope Marcel does well today and gets back on tour. Had the pleasure of meeting and chatting to him at nairn when he played there during the SO a few years ago. A lovely guy thats misunderstood. He even invited my mate and I out for a few holes later that afternoon, but was unable to due to work commitments. I won't be watching as I gave up my sky earlier this year, However will be rooting for Louis, fantastic swing and lovely to whatch hit a ball.
At the British Masters at Close House, Siem hit a ball over to where I and a number of others were standing. It was a natural landing area, not a bad shot. It was a foot over the ropes, in play though. He walked up to where we were, checked everyone was safe, it was a blind tee shot, and then had a bit of a chuckle with everyone. All in deadpan German ?. Very friendly when most pro's at events are emotionless and blank the crowds.

I've followed him on Facebook since and golf wise it has been tough. Winning on the Challenge Tour last week was big and he really appreciated it, okay I know it's social media but he does his own posts and it seemed heartfelt. This week is a massive bonus and a good finish today sorts him out for next year. Big stakes.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Caught bits and bobs of the golf over the last few days.
Where are the players warming up? Jon Rahm arrived 37 mins before his tee-time. That would be plenty time for me but a pro sportsman in the final round of a major? No chance.
Is it just that the practice ground is far enough away to warrant getting a lift?