Non Qualifiers.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Non qualifiers & winter handicaps though the winter as the course isn't rated off the winter tees. Doesn't make much difference to me but some shorter hitters complain it plays too long at this time of the year.

No reason for a club to not run medals to appease a few complainers.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because of the volume of rain we have had recently (16mm last night), we are now using mats in the General Area except in nominated competitions (eg Winter Order of Merit) where the local rules are set to enable them to be 'qualifying'.

IanMcC

Visit site
I saw no need to change what I inherited regarding Winter comps. They are all non acceptable, as we pick clean and place in the entire General Area. We have Wednesday and Sunday 15 hole comps, and an 11 hole comp on a Friday. All Stableford. If you win a comp you have 2 points deducted for the rest of the season for that day only. If you are second you have a 1 point deduction. It works well, distributing the prizemoney throughout the regular players quite nicely.
I believe if we made them acceptable comps by only having preferred lies on fairways then a lot less players would play, and 'mud balls' would piss everyone off.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw no need to change what I inherited regarding Winter comps. They are all non acceptable, as we pick clean and place in the entire General Area. We have Wednesday and Sunday 15 hole comps, and an 11 hole comp on a Friday. All Stableford. If you win a comp you have 2 points deducted for the rest of the season for that day only. If you are second you have a 1 point deduction. It works well, distributing the prizemoney throughout the regular players quite nicely.
I believe if we made them acceptable comps by only having preferred lies on fairways then a lot less players would play, and 'mud balls' would piss everyone off.
So how do you deal with that on the software??....... or are you still handling cards??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You are allowed to have lift clean and replace in the general area and the comp can still be qualifying. Local Rule E2

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are allowed to have lift clean and replace in the general area and the comp can still be qualifying. Local Rule E2
A bit like my club, it doesn't sound as though they want them to be. Clubs and members shouldn't be forced down that road if they don't want to be. (Not suggesting that you are saying they should be)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

I always thought it was 6 inches.

Reminds me of the old one where that rule was quoted by a playing partner so the other guy picks his ball up and takes it to his bag to clean it. The partner chimes in again and says “ you can’t take it to your bag, you have moved it more than 6 inches”

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd add that we're only thinking of it to protect the course - its an unfortunate consequence that it affects qualifying status (which we'd prefer to keep if we could).
Any way of designating such areas, if only small/few, as GUR. If there's so much that needs 'protecting', then I'd question whether the course is in suitable condition to hold qualifiers even if allowed!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Reminds me of the old one where that rule was quoted by a playing partner so the other guy picks his ball up and takes it to his bag to clean it. The partner chimes in again and says “ you can’t take it to your bag, you have moved it more than 6 inches”
6" only applies to Preferred Lies ie Lift, Clean and Place not Lift, Clean and Replace

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

6" applies to areas where the grass is cut to fairway height or less under a different LR which allows lift clean and place.