Nomads to get official handicaps

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
In Scotland we have a private company called Golf in Scotland [based in Bathgate ]
They organise and run qualifying comps at a few top class venues. As long as you have a recognised handicap.

If it's golfscotland.com, all they seem to do is luxury golf holidays aimed mostly at the American market. They make no mention of running "qualifiers".

Or if it's golfinscotland.co.uk, I still can't see a private company being allowed to run "qualifiers".

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's golfscotland.com, all they seem to do is luxury golf holidays aimed mostly at the American market. They make no mention of running "qualifiers".

Or if it's golfinscotland.co.uk, I still can't see a private company being allowed to run "qualifiers".
I can assure you they run qualifying events, I've played a few of them and the scores are returned to SG for handicap purposes.
They also run individual senior tour events, pairs comps and Texas scrambles, at top courses like Castle Stuart, Turnberry, Gleneagles, Kings Barns ETC

Attachments

• 2020 website headergolf in scotlandr.jpg
    2020 website headergolf in scotlandr.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
No mention about the need to return cards as part of the score submission process. :unsure:

Maybe EG have realised that it is utterly unworkable to have scores returned for verification and have decided that its going to have to run on trust.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
No mention about the need to return cards as part of the score submission process. :unsure:

Maybe EG have realised that it is utterly unworkable to have scores returned for verification and have decided that its going to have to run on trust.
Good point and as one of our county reps is on the steering group I will ask at the next county meeting.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Good point and as one of our county reps is on the steering group I will ask at the next county meeting.

The main point being is that it is wrong to expect clubs to process General Play cards submitted by golfers using the EG (or similar Apps) if EG do not plan to do it for the independent golfer scheme. We've had a 10 fold increase in general play cards submitted since the EG app went live, yet our regional handicap advisor insists that cards must be returned for verification.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think we need a GM Forum investigation of this....

I wonder if I can register for a Nomad Handicap with a false identity, put in false cards, get a handicap more than double my current one and then play in an Open with it???

Whaddya think? :)

At the same time, why not join another club with a false identity, put in false cards, get a handicap more than double your current one and then play in an Open with it???

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
At the same time, why not join another club with a false identity, put in false cards, get a handicap more than double your current one and then play in an Open with it???

Cos, I would have to pay the subs, there would be a handicap committee thinking "this is odd, he's joined and only puts in general play cards. Has anyone met him? Why doesn't he play here? etc" :)

Apart from all of that, it is exactly the same. I guess when it launches, we can see!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The main point being is that it is wrong to expect clubs to process General Play cards submitted by golfers using the EG (or similar Apps) if EG do not plan to do it for the independent golfer scheme. We've had a 10 fold increase in general play cards submitted since the EG app went live, yet our regional handicap advisor insists that cards must be returned for verification.
I'd tell your regional advisor to mind his own business, its up to clubs to dictate policiy o how they deal with cards

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd tell your regional advisor to mind his own business, its up to clubs to dictate policy o how they deal with cards

We realise this and have ignored them, but still went back and posed the question to them as to why we must do it when EG almost certainly wont do it for the Independent Golfer scheme.....never got an answer.

Visit site
Thought I'd drag this thread back up and see if anyone has joined or knows of anyone joining this independent golfer scheme? I'm seriously considering it, I can't justify paying the cost of club membership fees when I play 1-2 times a month on average. It would be a nice cost effective way of gaining an official handicap so I could then compete socially or otherwise.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought I'd drag this thread back up and see if anyone has joined or knows of anyone joining this independent golfer scheme? I'm seriously considering it, I can't justify paying the cost of club membership fees when I play 1-2 times a month on average. It would be a nice cost effective way of gaining an official handicap so I could then compete socially or otherwise.
How often would you expect to play at an individual club? Some (many?) clubs restrict the number of times a visitor may play in a year.

Visit site
How often would you expect to play at an individual club? Some (many?) clubs restrict the number of times a visitor may play in a year.
I mostly use pay and play (playgolf) but want to also move around and try out other courses so probably no individual club more than a few times a year as a guest.

Tinkerman

Visit site
I have two mates who have signed up. They don't have time/money for joining a club but want an official handicap to compare themselves against others in the group who are club members so that they we all play together socially off proper handicaps.

They have no intention of playing Opens or trying to get into club comps (wouldnt be able to at our play anyway) but this could lead at least one of them joining the club down the line rather than putting them off.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I signed up to it as I can’t be bothered to join a club but having an official handicap will get me on to some decent courses

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 of my mates who always play big courses joined

Before they had to get fake handicap certificates off a local pro just to make sure the courses didn't kick them off now they happy for £40 a year they can prove their ability

Visit site
All very encouraging, thanks for the responses guys. I hadn't even considered the occasional requirement for proving a handicap. I probably won't enter many competitions if at all any, but would like the option with an official handicap.