No Spare Lockers

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am moving cities in the next month and have been looking for a new course.

Found a course I liked, it has recently dropped its joining fee, held membership prices for another year and it reviews well.

Ticks a lot of boxes for me and would be a 10 minute cycle which is perfect as I share a car with my missus.

I rang to enquire about joining and they have no spare lockers, and is a long waiting list to get one. Basically someone has to leave the club or die to get one.

I rang another club in the area and it is the same situation.

Both clubs pushing for new members, but I could not join a club that I didn’t have a locker at. I need to keep my clubs at the course.

What is the situation at your clubs? I assumed places would be more accommodating. My current club has provided 2 extra rooms for lockers outside the changing rooms so everybody has the opportunity to have a locker.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club plays at a public courses so lockers isn't even a thing. I'm used to bring clubs and trolley every time I play. We play other courses on friendly knock though anyway so I wouldn't leave my clubs at the course even if I had the option to.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have limited locker numbers, and gave mine up this year as it’s rental cost exceeded its value and use to me.
Since we have about 600 male members, I think it’s unreasonable to expect every member to have one.
You can’t really expect a golf club to cater to your every need, not unless your going to be paying Wentworth members fees.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My car boot is my locker!

Even when I had a locker many moons ago I very rarely used it. Ended up giving it up.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have limited locker numbers, and gave mine up this year as it’s rental cost exceeded its value and use to me.
Since we have about 600 male members, I think it’s unreasonable to expect every member to have one.
You can’t really expect a golf club to cater to your every need, not unless your going to be paying Wentworth members fees.

We have a nice large locker room, but even so only we only 150 ish i think. we have over 500 male members, so not every one can have a locker. i waited a couple of years for one.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We don't have a huge number of lockers at our club, took me a couple of years to get one.

Our Pro stores some items for folk in his workshop area... we also have a trolley shed round the back, I was a member for 5 years before I knew it was there. You have to Captain Wales in a win against the All Blacks before you're allowed in there!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No lockers at current club or previous club. Just store all my stuff in the car, clubs in the house. We need two cars for work etc so don't have to worry about the wife going off in the car with my shoes if I wanted a game.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We used to have a long waiting list on lockers when they were free. Once we decided to charge £30p.a. it was amazing how many people didn't need them any more.
We now still have lockers to spare, useful for new members, and a bit of revenue for the club.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We used to have a long waiting list on lockers when they were free. Once we decided to charge £30p.a. it was amazing how many people didn't need them any more.
We now still have lockers to spare, useful for new members, and a bit of revenue for the club.

when they first redid the locker room at ours the offered life use for not much more than £50, now loads i tied up and get no revenue at all as we now charge £30 rent a year.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you considered a trailer for your bike? I won't use one myself as I'm a bit further from my club but they look pretty good and for a 10 minute ride I'd go for it.

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
Dead mens shoes. I remember being on the waiting list myself. Everytime I seen the flag at half mast I knew I was one spot closer....

Explain the situation to the club. If it is anything like my last club they will be massively inefficient. I had 2 lockers for a number of years while only paying for one. They eventually had an audit on them last year and everyone on the list was able to get one as so many were actually sitting empty!!!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
My situation is similar to a lot of others who have posted, the club offers lockers at I think £30.00 per year, but there is not sufficient lockers for every male member to be able to have one, I am lucky in that I have a low level full size locker and have had it for years. I'm not sure if there is a waiting list.

Aside from using the locker personally I enjoy the banter pre and post game, its good to sit and have a quick chat with people.

DCB

Visit site
I'd think most clubs are the same, only a finite number of lockers and more than likely a waiting list for lockers as and when they become available. I handed my own locker back when I had to stop playing, it was re-assigned within hours to someone on the waiting list.

Have to agree with AAc, great place for a laugh at the trials and tribulations out on the course before going upstairs for to the bar.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Waiting list at ours.
Have several hundred but you need someone to leave / die.

Wait is approx 18 months.

There are a few £1 lockers for holdalls etc that you can use on a day basis, there is also a drying room where you could store a bag of clubs.

Hence until I get a full size locker the clubs travel with me to and from the course.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
we redid the locker room last year, increased the number from 75 to 96 lockers, increased the price a little, added a key deposit, and still oversubcribed. lockers will pay for themselves in a few years but long term underpin the committes competition costs (incl software, trophies, boards etc)

definitely handy to have one, have a spare of most thing in there, expect i will miss it if i cant get one at the new club and only a matter of time before i turn up without my shoes lol

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had a locker at my old club, very large there and I could easily fit two bag, shoes and other paraphernalia.

New club (like many here) has much smaller lockers (just about squeeze in a carry bag and a pair of shoes), but there's a waiting list.

Fortunately my situation changed last year when I bought a house and we moved out of our old flat, so now have storage at home. Still got my name on the list for a locker though.