No comments needed!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Read that the other day, the guy has the patience of a saint after tolerating that.
Yeah that wouldn't be happening for me. I'll happily play with anyone, but after 2 or 3 holes of him writing down double figures, I'd be sitting him down and explaining Stableford scoring to him.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah that wouldn't be happening for me. I'll happily play with anyone, but after 2 or 3 holes of him writing down double figures, I'd be sitting him down and explaining Stableford scoring to him.
Thing is with players who do this is he would never get on a green to have a putt if he had to pick up when he couldn’t score.!

Nobody should be on the course until they can reasonably hit the ball.
Or does inclusion trump common sense.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thing is with players who do this is he would never get on a green to have a putt if he had to pick up when he couldn’t score.!

Nobody should be on the course until they can reasonably hit the ball.
Or does inclusion trump common sense.
Yeah, that's true. Except maybe on a short par 3. You're right, people should be encouraged to do at least a handful of driving range sessions to ensure they can send a ball forwards before they step on a course.

The above story may not even be true, but if it was I wonder if they counted air-shots as strokes? As he must have had a few of them. When I was a kid just started playing with my mum and dad we didn't count them. And even when my best mate had just started playing 8 years ago we didn't count them for him until he had played for a little while.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Also, why would you want to step foot onto a golf course until you had some sort of ability to hit and control the ball?

I remember when I first joined a club I was absolutely bricking it and nearly didn’t play the first weekend, all for fear of not playing very well. And I’d been playing a while then and was regularly scoring in the 90s.

Madness.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also, why would you want to step foot onto a golf course until you had some sort of ability to hit and control the ball?

I remember when I first joined a club I was absolutely bricking it and nearly didn’t play the first weekend, all for fear of not playing very well. And I’d been playing a while then and was regularly scoring in the 90s.

Madness.
Some people live in fantasy land. He probably saw a bit of golf on TV and thought it looked easy enough.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some people live in fantasy land. He probably saw a bit of golf on TV and thought it looked easy enough.
This.
Guy I used to work with said “ it’s an old man’s game”

So I bet him £10 for charity he couldn’t hit my driver farther than I hit my wedge.
We went to the sports field in the factory.( quite a big crowd turned up)
He had four air shots and hit one about 40yds two foot high.

I hit a 3/4 wedge about 80 yds.
TBF to him he took it well and said “ he might take it up”😳

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had lessons and regular range sessions and then rounds on the Sandown Park par 3 course before my dad would dare let me step foot on a proper course. I was still awful but had ability actually hit it

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sad but true. I remember even as a junior, we had to have a playing lesson with the secretary or another long standing member of the club to ensure we were aware of etiquette, rules (to a basic degree) and could get it round
Yes my first club I had to play with the Captain while on probation.!🙈
I beat him by 16 shots 😂😂😂

I had been playing society golf for a while.

D-S

Visit site
We have quite a few members who regularly score 100+ in GP scores but still insist on playing off the back tees. We have other tee sets 400 and 700 yards shorter which surely would be more enjoyable but they keep on playing off the tips.
I’m a mid single figure golfer, if we had a set of tees at 7000yds plus I wouldn’t dream of playing from them.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We have quite a few members who regularly score 100+ in GP scores but still insist on playing off the back tees. We have other tee sets 400 and 700 yards shorter which surely would be more enjoyable but they keep on playing off the tips.
I’m a mid single figure golfer, if we had a set of tees at 7000yds plus I wouldn’t dream of playing from them.

Yeah, smacks of the classic "i want to play the course as it was designed' wally. I see them most weekends on 1st tee ands can only think, well matey it was designed with multiple tees so ppl of xyz ability can play it without taking 150 shots/5+ hours to get round

We have tees at 7100 and I've never even glanced at them with any mild intent. I'm forced to play 6500 for comps but prefer 6000 for social golf as its even better for my level of golf
Only by choosing the right tees can they actually play the course as it was designed

AussieKB

Visit site
We have a 54 handicapper at one of my clubs, don't think he has every scored over 20 stableford points, we sometimes have a draw for partners and you can see people cringe when they get drawn to play with him.

One time I played with him he had 17 points and in that he had a 5 pointer, a par on a par 3, a nice enough chap in his 80's but it is time he took up bowls, as he will never improve and he drags down the people he plays with unfortunately.

Swango1980

Visit site
I had a company golf day once, playing in a 4 ball, Friday afternoon. Two of the guys had never played.

We didn't count air shots (there were many) and were very lenient with some rules (no stroke and distance, drop somewhere generous, if ball goes in water, drop hole side, etc). One of the guys shot 161, the other 168 (Par 70, SSS at the time 67)). I shot a 71, which I was pleased about given the distractions.

We teed off around 2pm, finished just before 9pm