Newbie Swing

MilesOverPar

Visit site
Hi folks,

New to the forum so please be gentle.

I've been playing golf for some while, but not had many lessons. I've booked a series of lessons, but those will focus on short game and course management.

I no longer score over 100, but I seem to have come to something of a plateau..

Took a couple of videos that some might like to (gently) comment on with. Apologies for the wide-angle on the one from behind. Aiming was left, but looks exaggerated in the video. Ball actually went where it was aimed which was between the 2 conifers, not where mat is pointing.

From behind:
http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/76Y2x4Jv
From the side:
http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/sNdc0wGY

Thanks
James

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
1st up welcome to the forum :thup:

is it in realtime as looks like its on 2x speed to me. I guess that means it looks very quick :D

about all I can comment on due to my own crap swing :)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Kudos for posting your swing while new to the forum :thup:

You seem to lose a lot of height at the start of your back swing and dont re-gain any height until the club has gone past parallel on the through swing.

Do you hit many fat (Behind the ball)?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi James.

Your right foot is pointing forward at address, do you do this on purpose and if so why? It looks like it is restricting your turn in the backswing. You tend to pull the club too much inside in your backswing and fan the clubface open by rolling your wrists and forearms.

You are coming down very steep and having to cut across the ball from out to in. This is restricting room for your arms to swing through forcing a chicken wing with your left arm through impact.

You are also trying to help the ball into the air by flipping your wrists, this also helps create the chicken wing and will be losing you distance.

I know this sound very critical but dont be put off, these problems are very common to new golfers. I think the lessons you are going to have should be focused on your setup and basic swing first, this will give you a sound basis to move on with.

Oh! and welcome to the Forum.

GMcDowall

Visit site
Alright mate, I'm new as well so were in the same boat. Welcome..
I would just say to slow it down a bit, try and make more of a revolution with your arms, it seems to be a very compact swing, and looks like you may hook the ball a lot.
on the follow through, try make your chest face the ball as it takes off, this should help your follow through.
Just try it at the range and you might benefit from taking a lesson to tweak the swing.
if you go for. Lesson and he tries to change your swing, walk away from him. Good coaches will work with what you've already got.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi James

I've watched both your videos quite a few times, to be honest there is a whole multitude of faults in your swing. You collapse during the backswing, lots of body movement, coming way inside the line on the backswing.......I could go on. But I don't want to discourage you so book a lesson or two with a pro and go right back to the beginning. You can clearly hit the ball so there is plenty there to work with but lots of issues to cleaned up.

Good luck :thup:

MilesOverPar

Visit site
Normal speed.

In recent lesson Pro suggested a slower takeaway - and opening left foot to help hips turn.

Right foot is actually square. Wid-angle has distorted that slightly.

James

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Doesn't Swingreader makes for a nice 'repeatable' swing!

A few questions -

What are you trying to achieve with your golf?
Are you prepared to change your swing? And to what extent?
How much time are you you able to practise? And are practise facilities available quite close?

MilesOverPar

Visit site
What are you trying to achieve with your golf?

I'd like to get as low as possible. I'd like to be Category 1 this season. Would that swing do it? I play with several good golfers and don't think I embarrass myself though there is an occasional bad shot. Shape is straightish with bit of Draw. I do hit quite far with the Driver. I actually swing in to out. That's the wide angle again. What's chicken wing?

Are you prepared to change your swing? And to what extent?

Would sooner do as little as possible. Pro id suggest those 2 changes but could work with the rest. He said impact position was very good and thats what really counts. I looked at quite a few swings before I joined. Some better, others seem weird. I think mine's much better than 1 I saw who was off 10.

How much time are you you able to practise? And are practise facilities available quite close?

Work is busy but I practice a bit. I'm getting a net for the garden. Putting-chipping area in plans too but will require negotiation.

Would new kit help. The Wishon gear I have feels great but so do new toys. Putter needs to change soon as it's a Belly one. Any recommendations?

James

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Your head moves more than I like to see and I'd prefer your backswing a bit smoother.
There are other issues but those are the first I'd suggest you work on.
If the draw becomes a pull hook, get your left hand grip checked

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The first things I noticed were your feet positioning and the amount your head moves during the backswing. Feet should be squared to the target (ever so slightly flared) and head shouldn't move at all or as little as possible. Take what I say with a pinch of salt though.

I'm looking forward to posting my swing on here so you can go to town on it :)

dreded

Visit site
Newbie here myself. Seems there are alot of experts on here with excellent thoughts on the swing-are you guys all low handicappers as you seem to know alot about the swing.

I'm surprised however that no-one seems to comment on the fact that the impact position in Miles' swing is actually very good (not far off what you might see in a low hdcp player or perhaps I'm misguided) and there certainly is no suggestion of flipping as one poster suggests and certainly not an out to in swing!

Posture looks like it could be improved and the tempo is certainly fast (although that isn't necessarily a bad thing-ask Nick Price) but many of the fundamentals are there, including what looks like a very good grip. I think the odd camera angle may make the feet positioning look odd but it perhaps is actually pretty good.

Anyone not sure I'll be posting up pictures of my swing as I think I'm much more of a lost cause than you.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome dreded

Bobmac is a PGA pro Justone a low handicapper with a lot of knowledge and i'm a chopper so i don't comment on peoples swings :)