Newbie Swing

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The chicken wing is when the left arm pulls the club accross the line bending as it does so, hugging the side of the body and creates a left to right spin on the ball.
I dont think you have that problem

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Oh alright then, do your worst or give it to me straight. But please keep it simple. I still don't know what chicken wing means.

Simple? erm.... OK :)

It's not often we get to see a swing where the backswing is faster than the downswing :D:D

Seriously though, you snatch the club away a bit too quick which kinda puts you off balance, as Bobmac said I'd like to see you swing back smoother... we can't hit the ball with the backswing so there's no need to rush it quite so much...... and also keep your head a little more controlled. You also take your hands (and the club) back behind you too 'flat' so to speak, really you need to learn to hinge your wrists and bring the club UP a little more.

On the positive side - Love the way you return the club into impact, you set the club shaft back exactly where it was at address which is VERY rare.

dreded

Visit site
Isn't the impact position critical and while many pros have funky backswings the impact position is key. Perhaps this is why miles' pro has just suggested a minor alignment change and to work on tempo? Seems many people are focused on textbook swings and forget to look at the key issues such as impact position. If miles' swing repeats and finds that impact position time and time again, perhaps he's not being silly in thinking of being Cat 1. After all, as we all should know, it's the short game that really makes the difference.

Miles , out of interest, what's your low round so we can gauge your potential with the current swing

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Isn't the impact position critical and while many pros have funky backswings the impact position is key. Perhaps this is why miles' pro has just suggested a minor alignment change and to work on tempo? Seems many people are focused on textbook swings and forget to look at the key issues such as impact position. If miles' swing repeats and finds that impact position time and time again, perhaps he's not being silly in thinking of being Cat 1. After all, as we all should know, it's the short game that really makes the difference.

Miles , out of interest, what's your low round so we can gauge your potential with the current swing

Yes the impact position is key, so is the repeatability of that position, and the power that you carry when you arrive at that position.

If he said he played off scratch with that swing then my advice would be not to change.

Of course he doesn't have to change anything anyway, we're just saying our thoughts based on the fact that he posted his swing and asked for them :thup:

Welcome the the forum by the way,... 2 good posts to start with! :thup:

MilesOverPar

Visit site

Dreded. I think we are on the same wavelength.

Low round has been 4 under par.

Current level is 4.8 anf minimum goal is to be Cat 1 at end of season. Have been down near 3 not long ago and it's the short game that holding me back from getting back there. Otherwise that would be the first time in over 10 years that I wasn't less than 6.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
not sure I follow this thread.........

You say you now dont shoot over 100 (implying your just below it now)
You say you want to get to cat1......

Yet in other posts you say you have shot 4 under Par, been to a 3 h/cap and you are currently 4.8 and havent been over a 6 for 10 years!

what am I missing?

dreded

Visit site
not sure I follow this thread.........

You say you now dont shoot over 100 (implying your just below it now)
You say you want to get to cat1......

Yet in other posts you say you have shot 4 under Par, been to a 3 h/cap and you are currently 4.8 and havent been over a 6 for 10 years!

what am I missing?

Suspect Miles was being necessarily vague to see what type of response he got. As I mentioned in my posts, his swing looked like the impact position was good despite the funky backswing.