New WHS

Funladygolfer

Visit site
I have been told that my WHS index is what I play off at my own course and I only changes when I play at different courses, however I have also been told that I look up my WHS index even at my own course so now im completely confused, help!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been told that my WHS index is what I play off at my own course and I only changes when I play at different courses, however I have also been told that I look up my WHS index even at my own course so now im completely confused, help!
Your handicap index is a base line number. You then need to apply that against the chart at ANY club, including your own. The last comment made to you is correct.

So, to simplify, next time you play at your club, or any club, look at the chart for that course (likely to be found by the 1st tee or possibly attached to the clubhouse), look at your own HI and it will tell you what your on course handicap will be.

If I have not made that clear please reply and I will try again another way or someone else will respond in a better way (y)

Funladygolfer

Visit site
Your handicap index is a base line number. You then need to apply that against the chart at ANY club, including your own. The last comment made to you is correct.

So, to simplify, next time you play at your club, or any club, look at the chart for that course (likely to be found by the 1st tee or possibly attached to the clubhouse), look at your own HI and it will tell you what your on course handicap will be.

If I have not made that clear please reply and I will try again another way or someone else will respond in a better way (y)
Yes thats great thanks for your reply ?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

You forgot the additional complication of Playing Handicap and 95%:unsure:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You forgot the additional complication of Playing Handicap and 95%:unsure:
Deliberately :LOL:. One step at a time.

The OP did not post in what circumstances they would be playing, social, individual comp, pairs, team etc so I did not want to add another layer of confusion. You are absolutely right though, it is something that will have to be crossed at some point. I'll leave that to the next person (I'm not 100% on that myself yet :oops:)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
For starters:

Handicap Index
The measure of a player’s demonstrated ability calculated against the Slope Rating
of a golf course of standard playing difficulty (that is, a course with a Slope Rating
of 113) (see Rule 5.2).

Course Handicap
The number of handicap strokes a player receives, before handicap allowances,
from a specific set of tees as determined by the Slope Rating (see Rule 6.1).

Handicap Allowance
The percentage of a Course Handicap recommended to create equity for all players
participating in a specific format of play (see Appendix C).

Playing Handicap
The Course Handicap adjusted for any handicap allowances or Terms of the
Competition. It represents the actual number of strokes the player gives or
receives for the round being played (see Rule 6.2).

Funladygolfer

Visit site
For starters:

Handicap Index
The measure of a player’s demonstrated ability calculated against the Slope Rating
of a golf course of standard playing difficulty (that is, a course with a Slope Rating
of 113) (see Rule 5.2).

Course Handicap
The number of handicap strokes a player receives, before handicap allowances,
from a specific set of tees as determined by the Slope Rating (see Rule 6.1).

Handicap Allowance
The percentage of a Course Handicap recommended to create equity for all players
participating in a specific format of play (see Appendix C).

Playing Handicap
The Course Handicap adjusted for any handicap allowances or Terms of the
Competition. It represents the actual number of strokes the player gives or
receives for the round being played (see Rule 6.2).

Funladygolfer

Visit site
Ok I’m reading these replies bearing in mind I’m not a beginner but I am unsure of the new rules, so that being said, when I play in a singles stroke play at my own club will I play off my handicap index or do I look it up on the chart at my golf club and play off the handicap on the chart

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Plain English version of the above...

Handicap Index
Your handicap! - but you need to go through the rest of the waffle to find out many shots you get!!
Course Handicap
Your handicap allowance for THE COURSE AND TEES you are playing that day! (look it up on the big chart on the wall at the club :) ) This is the main difference to the new process!!
Handicap Allowance
You get a different % of course handicap depending on format of play... (as before but the percentages have changed in some formats!)
Playing Handicap
The actual number of strokes the player gives or receives

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ok I’m reading these replies bearing in mind I’m not a beginner but I am unsure of the new rules, so that being said, when I play in a singles stroke play at my own club will I play off my handicap index or do I look it up on the chart at my golf club and play off the handicap on the chart

you look it up on the chart... then apply the appropriate % allowance depending on the format you are playing. Once you've done it you'll understand. The explanation is actually worse than the reality.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You never play off your Handicap Index at any course. That is a course neutral figure.
You get your Course Handicap from the chart for the course and tees that you are going to play.

You then need to check the Handicap Allowance for the format you are going to play. Which is 95% for singles medal/stableford. 85% for 4BBB.
Multiply your Course Handicap by the Handicap Allowance and that is your Playing Handicap

Playing Handicap is used to determine the competition results and Course Handicap is used to update the WHS and any change to your Handicap Index

But be aware. Depending on your Course Handicap you may find your Playing Handicap is stroke or so lower. If playing Stableford remember to use your Course Handicap to determine when you have run out of strokes and can pick up. Do not use your Playing Handicap.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've copied a table from a random club.

Your name suggests you are female so let's take it that you are playing off the Red tees, adjust if not.

Let's give you a HI of 14.6. That would give you on course handicap of 17.

That should have been the end of it but the powers that be thought that would be too easy. Sooooooo

In strokeplay or Stableford you then get 95% allowance so you actually get 16 shots in your competition.

14.6 to 17 to 16 o_O. I hope this makes sense

Course_Handicap-3-3.jpg

Swango1980

Visit site
You never play off your Handicap Index at any course. That is a course neutral figure.
You get your Course Handicap from the chart for the course and tees that you are going to play.

You then need to check the Handicap Allowance for the format you are going to play. Which is 95% for singles medal/stableford. 85% for 4BBB.
Multiply your Course Handicap by the Handicap Allowance and that is your Playing Handicap

Playing Handicap is used to determine the competition results and Course Handicap is used to update the WHS and any change to your Handicap Index

But be aware. Depending on your Course Handicap you may find your Playing Handicap is stroke or so lower. If playing Stableford remember to use your Course Handicap to determine when you have run out of strokes and can pick up. Do not use your Playing Handicap.
It is hard to understand why so many are confused by WHS :D

Funladygolfer

Visit site

Thank you very much that is really helpful ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
"If playing Stableford remember to use your Course Handicap to determine when you have run out of strokes and can pick up. Do not use your Playing Handicap."

HELP!! since the Covid "lay off" I have forgotten why this is the case!
Your PH may be lower than your CH and net double bogey relates to your CH when doing
If your CH is 12 and your PH is 11, you get a shot on stroke hole 12 for your resultant WHS Handicap Index calculation but not for your competition score.

D

Deleted member 15344

Can everyone remember when it was just your handicap and that was it

A system that works changed to a system that has most people scratching their heads - it’s going to take a while for it all to sink in.