New WHS

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Your PH may be lower than your CH and net double bogey relates to your CH when doing
If your CH is 12 and your PH is 11, you get a shot on stroke hole 12 for your resultant WHS Handicap Index calculation but not for your competition score.

In short. Handicap adjustment is made off CH not PH. Logical but another level of complexity, that should have been designed out of it.

I don't know anyone who doesn't frequent these or similar pages, who even knows about this.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In short. Handicap adjustment is made off CH not PH. Logical but another level of complexity, that should have been designed out of it.

I don't know anyone who doesn't frequent these or similar pages, who even knows about this.
Then they haven't been reading the stuff EG has been pumping out to players who actually bothered to register with EG when the CDH was introduced or they were given a CDH ID.
Or not bothered to read what their club was supposed to send out (if the club bothered).

Before WHS the USGA and Golf Australia had the allowance built in to the base calculation. This mean that it applied to matchplay as well as strokeplay. The problem was that although the stats showed that in general higher handicap players tended to win strokeplay competitions disproportionally to the number of entrants, the obverse was true in matchplay where 55% or so of matches were won by the higher handicap player (a situation that CONGU recognised). So the 'fix' was fixed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Don't get the confusion myself

Completely ignore playing handicap

Look up course handicap

Write the gross scores down ..

Let the computer work out the comp results

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Don't get the confusion myself

Completely ignore playing handicap

Look up course handicap

Write the gross scores down ..

Let the computer work out the comp results

Indeed. Showed my wife this thread as she's playing her first WHS comp tomorrow.

She laughed out loud. She's been told to mark her card gross, photo it on her phone and WhatsApp it to the sec for keying and scoring!

They are not even keying it in

Swango1980

Visit site
I’m not sure why the everyday player is that confused unless they haven’t either bothered to read what has been sent out or clubs haven’t assisted them.

Its no more confusing than trying to explain to players SSS and CSS & why 36 points wasn’t going to give them a cut.
To be fair, WHS replaces CSS with PCC. WHS adds to confusion regarding adjustment, because players don't know whether their Index will go up, stay the same or go down. They can shoot a terrible score, index stays the same. They can shoot a great score, index could go up. That is more confusing

But, at the most basic level, they now have triple the number of "handicaps", one of which changes for every course, the other that changes depending on format. That is not simpler than one handicap, with the most confusing thing usually remembering 90% the diff in fourball matchplay.

There will always be confusion, as there will always be new members who will see it for 1st time. Most on this forum understand it, as it is in our nature to find out. Most of us are golf nerds sadly. But, most club golfers have no interest in researching, they just want to play golf and not have to mess about converting one number into another and then multiplying the result by a percentage

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is what we have been trying to stress to players.

All we want to see on the card is just one players gross score in their column with the markers gross score in the markers column.

Followed this advice Tuesday

Added in my head the stableford so I knew My score

Handed in the card and let the pc do the work

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Followed this advice Tuesday

Added in my head the stableford so I knew My score

Handed in the card and let the pc do the work
All we want to see on the card is just one players gross score in their column with the markers gross score in the markers column. (y)(y)

But what did the stableford score tell you? Was 35 or 37 a good score on that course? It's the differential which tells you how you played today.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All we want to see on the card is just one players gross score in their column with the markers gross score in the markers column. (y)(y)

But what did the stableford score tell you? Was 35 or 37 a good score on that course? It's the differential which tells you how you played today.

To be fair the stableford told me I won lol 41 points was enough

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Next to our slope board there is a board that shows all the mandatory HC allowances with nice charts showing the different % values, no maths required, just the ability to read (and follow instructions) which is obviously WHS down fall.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Next to our slope board there is a board that shows all the mandatory HC allowances with nice charts showing the different % values, no maths required, just the ability to read (and follow instructions) which is obviously WHS down fall.

I was reminded this week of being being questioned in the locker room about card procedures etc by a person standing next to the notice detailing it all.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I produced a small table showing the 90% and 85% adjustment for ranges of CH and suggested it be attached to the main chart. But our manager said it would make the 1st tee area look untidy but agreed to put copies in the proshop window and Ladies' locker room ???

wjemather

Visit site
I produced a small table showing the 90% and 85% adjustment for ranges of CH and suggested it be attached to the main chart. But our manager said it would make the 1st tee area look untidy but agreed to put copies in the proshop window and Ladies' locker room ???
I have done the same, but unfortunately there is nowhere to put them at the moment - just waiting on the club to get noticeboard(s) installed in a suitable spot on the side of the proshop/clubhouse on the way to the course.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have done the same, but unfortunately there is nowhere to put them at the moment - just waiting on the club to get noticeboard(s) installed in a suitable spot on the side of the proshop/clubhouse on the way to the course.
Ours are produced by Eagle and are metal waterproof and exactly the same as the slope boards and are fitted to the outside wall of the club house

wjemather

Visit site
Ours are produced by Eagle and are metal waterproof and exactly the same as the slope boards and are fitted to the outside wall of the club house
All our tables are printed on paper as everything is likely to change when we get re-rated (supposedly this summer). I don't see that approach changing after then either, since "permanent" boards need replacing every time CONGU decide to change something (e.g. if/when CR-Par gets included in the CH calculation).

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
All our tables are printed on paper as everything is likely to change when we get re-rated (supposedly this summer). I don't see that approach changing after then either, since "permanent" boards need replacing every time CONGU decide to change something (e.g. if/when CR-Par gets included in the CH calculation).

Luckily our county stood the initial cost of these for all clubs as they felt that due to the lack of use from last years affiliation fees they would pay for it all.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you being re-rated or was the initial rating not actually done