• Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

It’s time to update my 5 year old irons

So looking for some opinions on

Taylormade P790 and Titleist AP2’s

Now visually they are both pretty good and certainly like the look of them

But performance wise what are people’s opinion if you use them

And are there any others i should consider ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Have done in the past and just didnt take to them tbh

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
My coach has just added some P790s to his bag and has been raving about them and saying how good they are. Not had chance to hit them yet myself, but have heard very good things.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I tossed up between the TM P790's, AP2's and the AP3's. I didn't get on with the AP2's as well as I'd hoped, especially in the long irons, which has been my bug bear for a few years, and they were chalked off the list fairly quickly. I've been trying to get away from a really low ball flight that has developed in recent years, and the AP2's were just swapping like for like.

The P790's were excellent, as were the AP3's. Both in the visual end product, watching the ball sail away, and the numbers from GC2. It then came down to personal preference...almost. And again it came down to the long irons. I felt I had a little more control with the AP3's in terms of being able to fade or draw the ball. I've missed being able to fade the ball in recent years, and the draw hasn't exactly been there each time of asking. Both the P790's and AP3's launched fairly high compared with what I'm used to and are exactly what I was chasing.

What I did find a little bizarre with all 3 was the difference achieved by having more choice than ever in shafts. And what a difference it made when choosing the shafts. At one point I almost asked for stiff in the 4 & 5 irons. In the end I went with regular, which I haven't used for 30+years, getting old I guess.

AP3's, and quite stunned by how well they perform for me.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cobra fly z plus?

Similar to ap2, well regarded. I preferred the sound and looks vs ap2, but if course, that's very much imho.

Available at clubhouse for 350.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate (handicap 10) has just switched from older APs to Mizuno MP18 MMC and is getting on with them really well.

I personally went with Mizuno 900 tour but the 900 forged are worth looking at.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
You should get a set of these custom made instead of the P790s:

tiger-1.png

I know you're a big fan!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I've got the new TM P790. Came from a combo blade/cavity srixons which are also very good TBH. However, the P790 give me a little more height as my swing gets a little slower and a fraction more forgiveness . Tried the AP3 and they're a bit too hard for my liking. AP2s are great irons, dont go as far as my P790, flagship Titleist model with much better feel than AP3s. Get the right shaft for your swing speed/club combination.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
come on Phil. we all know your gonna get taylormade clubs. the p790 are nice but dont produce alot of spin. you not considered the p770? . its an ap2 equivalent and going for about £600 brand new on ebay.

I've historically hate tm irons but i went for the p770 because they are megga soft, very forgiving and most of all they have very constant ball speed over the face

Last edited:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
come on Phil. we all know your gonna get taylormade clubs. the p790 are nice but dont produce alot of spin. you not considered the p770? . its an ap2 equivalent and going for about £600 brand new on ebay.

I've historically hate tm irons but i went for the p770 because they are megga soft, very forgiving and most of all they have very constant ball speed over the face

Don't produce a lot of spin. 6500 for one iron as apposed to 5800rpm for a p790, must say that not a lot is it. :rolleyes: