New H/C (54) Comp Changes

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
okay for most clubs in England because of stableford as you can pick your ball up but we play stroke play in Scotland so they will continue to whack the hell out the ball until it's in the hole as they probably wont want to NR

Im as far away from Scotland as you can be in the South East and only one of our main comps is Stableford

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
okay for most clubs in England because of stableford as you can pick your ball up but we play stroke play in Scotland so they will continue to whack the hell out the ball until it's in the hole as they probably wont want to NR

I thought there was talk of rule changes to accommodate this in Medal rounds. Pick your ball up and it goes down as a double bogie........or I might be talking out of my backside :)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought there was talk of rule changes to accommodate this in Medal rounds. Pick your ball up and it goes down as a double bogie........or I might be talking out of my backside :)

You are for the moment, but I'll excuse you as your heart is in the right place.

The player can pick up but he will be N/R although his gross scores on the other holes will determine if he buffers or otherwise.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

They are looking to bring a rule in to cover it in 2019 apparently

Fish

Banned
Visit site

You can pick up and NR in a stroke play Medal which just puts you out the comp, but you can carry on as it will only count as a nett double bogey and you can still play for your handicap and actually get cut!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
You can pick up and NR in a stroke play Medal which just puts you out the comp, but you can carry on as it will only count as a nett double bogey and you can still play for your handicap and actually get cut!

Yes I know today's rules, this is something I was told will be coming in the near future.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Think we have 1 or 2 weekend comps a season that are stablefords, just like my club back in Scotland ;)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

My only real concern with this is that it will further discourage low handicappers from entering the matchplay. The author of this article addresses it but totally misses the point. He has never in his life given anyone 30+ shots in a match, never mind the 50+ that will now be possible. Contrary to what he says, this is not about winning or losing. It's about wanting to have a sensible competitive match and giving that many strokes makes it a farce, it's about playing a match in which the low handicappers performance has any bearing on the result.

Medals - fine. Bounce games - no problems. Match play - what's the point?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
My only real concern with this is that it will further discourage low handicappers from entering the matchplay. The author of this article addresses it but totally misses the point. He has never in his life given anyone 30+ shots in a match, never mind the 50+ that will now be possible. Contrary to what he says, this is not about winning or losing. It's about wanting to have a sensible competitive match and giving that many strokes makes it a farce, it's about playing a match in which the low handicappers performance has any bearing on the result.

It may not be one of your finest experiences on the golf course, but I would back you to defeat a genuine 50+ handicapper in matchplay.

D

Deleted member 16999

Karen, have you played in any matchplay events were there is no upper limit? I’m not aware of any in this area, most have an upper limit imposed on matchplay comps.
I can’t believe a “genuine” 54 Handicapper would actually enter a matchplay comp.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may not be one of your finest experiences on the golf course, but I would back you to defeat a genuine 50+ handicapper in matchplay.

That's not the point. Nobody seems to understand this, probably because nobody else on here has ever had to give over 30 shots in a match. It is soul destroying - you take 8 on a hole, and win it, you make a birdie at the next hole and lose it.

Not sure how many times I need to say "it's not about winning or losing" before people actually try to think through what I am saying. Cat 1 player vs 50 handicap is two people playing two different games - the result is entirely dependent on how the 50 handicap plays - and simply not any fun.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Karen, have you played in any matchplay events were there is no upper limit? I’m not aware of any in this area, most have an upper limit imposed on matchplay comps.
I can’t believe a “genuine” 54 Handicapper would actually enter a matchplay comp.

Yes - at club level it's pretty much open to all members with no limits.

D

Deleted member 16999

That's not the point. Nobody seems to understand this, probably because nobody else on here has ever had to give over 30 shots in a match. It is soul destroying - you take 8 on a hole, and win it, you make a birdie at the next hole and lose it.

Not sure how many times I need to say "it's not about winning or losing" before people actually try to think through what I am saying. Cat 1 player vs 50 handicap is two people playing two different games - the result is entirely dependent on how the 50 handicap plays - and simply not any fun.
That scenario is more than believable, but I’d still back the Cat 1 to win 10 holes or more in the match.

D

Deleted member 16999

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!! It's not about winning or losing!!!! :rofl:
I understand it’s soul destroying and not the winning or losing, but if you did play a 54 Handicapper in that scenario you’ve either decided to suck it up or you’re playing it for fun.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!! It's not about winning or losing!!!! :rofl:

But you're highly unlikely to play a 54 handicapper in more than one round. Look upon it as being Manchester United playing a non-league club in the FA Cup - a bit of a chore, but more of a challenge in the next round - just suck it up.

D

Deleted member 1740

I understand it’s soul destroying and not the winning or losing, but if you did play a 54 Handicapper in that scenario you’ve either decided to suck it up or you’re playing it for fun.

Where's the fun in giving someone 50 shots?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can see where FDs coming from on this, it does change the way you think and play.
But..
Who said competition golf always has to be fun?
Where's the fun in playing like a prat and getting done by a dog licence..?
Where's the fun in going out in the Medal in howling winds and rain at 1°C early on a Sunday morning after a heavy night?
Where's the fun, in a scratch Matchplay, parring a tough par 4 only to see your oppo sink a 20 yarder from a deep pothole bunker to win the hole?
Competition golf isn't always fun.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
What would be he difference between that and a stableford?

Well with Stableford you win by amassing points, and with Medal it's the lowest net gross, no different than it is today. But what it will do is speed up play as you won't get people having big double digits on their card when they can pick up and put down a net double.

As I said, I think it's something being discussed for the future.