New H/C (54) Comp Changes

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
i agree with hank. playing with a high handicaper can be soul destroying. especially looking for balls on every hole. alot of times its twice on every hole.

people say this attitude is bad and to an extent i agree but most people just don't want to admit it because they're more concerned about being liked by others

We have a number of high handicappers in our roll up every week. Several off 28 and a joy to play with. They enjoy their game, keep up with play, will pick up if they have a bad hole and usually insist the group moves on after a cursory check for their ball. I've played with many high handicappers in club events and never felt it was soul destroying. Plenty with low handicappers that has been, taking an age over each shot, rarely talking and "in the zone" and complaining if they have to wait for the group ahead to move on

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i agree with hank. playing with a high handicaper can be soul destroying. especially looking for balls on every hole. alot of times its twice on every hole.

people say this attitude is bad and to an extent i agree but most people just don't want to admit it because they're more concerned about being liked by others

spot on.

I have no problem with them joining clubs but they should not be allowed to spoil the game for others

D

Deleted member 15344

spot on.

I have no problem with them joining clubs but they should not be allowed to spoil the game for others

So you are ok spoiling others enjoyments though ? Bit of a hypocrite then ?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I for one would not be giving up 4-5 hours possible 6 to play in a competitive game or bounce game with a 54 handicap golfer. It's bad enough with anyone who needs 2 shots on a hole and I bet I am not alone with this thought

some pwople arw born special others just work at it

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't see that our fair isles are suddenly gonna be overrun with 54 hcps, it will affect only a few for god's sake. We all have to start somewhere (i was a nightmare but had some very patient friends) and this is also gonna help the tiny minority who are 150 yrs old or more and can't keep up like they used to. I'm sure we can all be terribly brave and suck it up a little.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can't see that our fair isles are suddenly gonna be overrun with 54 hcps, it will affect only a few for god's sake. We all have to start somewhere (i was a nightmare but had some very patient friends) and this is also gonna help the tiny minority who are 150 yrs old or more and can't keep up like they used to. I'm sure we can all be terribly brave and suck it up a little.

Apparently not...:mad:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Do most clubs not have senior competuitions for the old lads ? maybe they can play with them

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a number of high handicappers in our roll up every week. Several off 28 and a joy to play with. They enjoy their game, keep up with play, will pick up if they have a bad hole and usually insist the group moves on after a cursory check for their ball. I've played with many high handicappers in club events and never felt it was soul destroying. Plenty with low handicappers that has been, taking an age over each shot, rarely talking and "in the zone" and complaining if they have to wait for the group ahead to move on

that's why i said "can" be soul destroying. my friend is off about 32. he has no intention of getting better. he doesn't hold us up one bit. if he loses a ball he'll just drop one where he thinks it went.
unfortunately this is rare and in my experience they will look for every ball (because they use £4 a ball pro v's) play every shot and will not pick up because "they're a playing member too"

i have no problem with this as we all had to start somewhere. however, dont hold me up and dont play with me. harsh but its how i feel.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Divisions

I have just revised the divisions in our club using the actual number of competitors who played during the last year with the aim of evening out the numbers in each.

Our Divisions are now

For club competitions where there are sufficient players to have 3divisions the handicap ranges will now be
Division 1Handicap range up to 10 inclusive
Division 2Handicap Range 11 to 15 inclusive
Division 3Handicap range 16 to 54

For club competitions where there are sufficient players to have 2divisions the handicap ranges will now be
Division 1Handicap range up to 11 inclusive
Division 2Handicap Range 12 to 54 inclusive

Funnily enough we did ours, changing from 2 to three divisions.... off the top of my head our three divisions are up to 12, 13 to 17 and 18 plus..... these were all based on the previous 18 months medals and designed to create three divisions of roughly even sizes.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thread tidied.

Please have a look at the rule #5 as it is relevant to this thread.

General principles of the Golf Monthly forum

Be polite, respect peoples’ opinions

Criticise ideas, not users

It is your responsibility to know the rules and boundaries for acceptable behavior

Do not post public criticism or complaints about the Moderators on the Forum (see below for further information on how to make a complaint)

Golf Monthly is a magazine and website for all golfers - not just 'better players' and we seek to encourage all golfers no matter what their playing ability. Posts that in the opinion of the moderartors or administrators set out to belittle, ridicule or antagonise a forum member because of their playing ability will not be tolerated.

Last edited:

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
Im not sure how to do it or if its already been done but a poll on this subject would be good to see what the majority think.