H/C Question

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Friend of mine has just re-joined our club this week after a 5 year absence he was 23.3 when he last played.
He will be playing in a charity team competition tomorrow.
Unfortunately he’s not had the time to put any cards in this week so my question is how do the committee decide what h/c he should play off?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I dunno if there will be an official answer (watching with interest0

For a club I'm in he'd simply play off scratch (esp since its a fun charity 'comp')

wjemather

Visit site
Friend of mine has just re-joined our club this week after a 5 year absence he was 23.3 when he last played.
He will be playing in a charity team competition tomorrow.
Unfortunately he’s not had the time to put any cards in this week so my question is how do the committee decide what h/c he should play off?
If his old handicap record has been revived, then his index will be whatever the old scores on his record from 2018-2019 work out to (or 23.3 if there are no scores).

Otherwise, he will need to submit scores from 54-holes today in order to get a handicap for tomorrow!

In practice, the committee can do whatever they want in accordance with their terms of competition - these events often have players without (current/valid) official handicaps so there should be something in the terms of competition to say how they are treated.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A lot of players who transitioned into WHS when it started were given their old UHS exact handicap as a HI in WHS. Even if no individual scores were present.

On that basis I would suggest if his old handicap is visible via his CDH, he should use that.