New H/C (54) Comp Changes

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
None on my list.
I think it’s a good idea to have 54 handicaps.
Then when I go to book on a comp I can see the handicap and avoid.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll play with anyone of a decent ability, who’s quick and knows when to pick up. And most importantly likes a laugh and gets me a pint or five afterwards.

But anything over 28 and I would suggest some lessons and come back another season.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
just had a quick peek at our handicap list,

we have one chap who has gone up to 34, his last 6 scores playing off 28 was as follows, 26-26-24-31-21-22

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
None on my list.
I think it’s a good idea to have 54 handicaps.
Then when I go to book on a comp I can see the handicap and avoid.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll play with anyone of a decent ability, who’s quick and knows when to pick up. And most importantly likes a laugh and gets me a pint or five afterwards.

But anything over 28 and I would suggest some lessons and come back another season.

Don't agree. Golf needs to be inclusive and providing they play quickly, pick up (or play provisionals) and keep up with the group ahead then let them play. Saying anything over 28 needs lessons comes over as elitist. There may be something significant that affects their game. Are you going to stop them playing and indeed playing comps?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't agree. Golf needs to be inclusive and providing they play quickly, pick up (or play provisionals) and keep up with the group ahead then let them play. Saying anything over 28 needs lessons comes over as elitist. There may be something significant that affects their game. Are you going to stop them playing and indeed playing comps?

What happens when the group in front have a few high handicaps and a 54 handicap and the group behind are keeping up with them but the group up front have already lost a hole or two. It's a minefield maybe they should be allowed to start playing in the ladies medals or even the junior medals first before we let them out in the main competitions

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Wasn't there a recent 54 handicap topic where this was discussed, sure there was, didn't it get abusive towards certain members, sure it did, didn't it end up getting locked, sure it did....

Get them on the local 9 holer where they can dig about with the rest oh the chappers and lets leave the proper golf to us that can knock it round in less than 80ish.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What happens when the group in front have a few high handicaps and a 54 handicap and the group behind are keeping up with them but the group up front have already lost a hole or two. It's a minefield maybe they should be allowed to start playing in the ladies medals or even the junior medals first before we let them out in the main competitions

It's down to each group/player to be responsible for keeping up with play so group should let the group behind through if they've lost a hole. It's nothing more than basic etiquette and I hope you're joking with your other comment. If they pay their membership and have a handicap why should they play with women/juniors. Very poor

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Do you mean the group with the 54 have lost a hole or two? If so, why have they not been educated on when to call groups through?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's down to each group/player to be responsible for keeping up with play so group should let the group behind through if they've lost a hole. It's nothing more than basic etiquette and I hope you're joking with your other comment. If they pay their membership and have a handicap why should they play with women/juniors. Very poor

Its a way to get them startes and hopefully enjoy thebgame rather than get frustrated and pee of all the other players behind them.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yup seen that at our place, they were a good hole and a half behind.

Playing off 14, 4 and 8

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you mean the group with the 54 have lost a hole or two? If so, why have they not been educated on when to call groups through?

Listen there is a lot more hackers out there that have been playing for years that don't let groups behind through so what's their excuse.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nope, disagree. You pay your membership, and then get told you can't play in the comp with your mates and have to go out with kids or the ladies. Not going to do anything for membership.

it's funny you say that's as that's my way of thinking. I pay my money and don't want to play with a 54 or even a 36 handicapper and I bet there is a lot of guys thinking this, so would clubs be better off taking in a few more hackers and end up losing better players who don't want their day to be ruined with these guys the game is long enough at the moment

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
it's funny you say that's as that's my way of thinking. I pay my money and don't want to play with a 54 or even a 36 handicapper and I bet there is a lot of guys thinking this, so would clubs be better off taking in a few more hackers and end up losing better players who don't want their day to be ruined with these guys the game is long enough at the moment

Just comes across to me as a huge handicap snob

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I for one would not be giving up 4-5 hours possible 6 to play in a competitive game or bounce game with a 54 handicap golfer. It's bad enough with anyone who needs 2 shots on a hole and I bet I am not alone with this thought

Well its possible that they wouldn't want to play with you, the game needs more players, if this is the way to get them playing then we should go ahead. It seems most places at the moment complain about 4-5 hour rounds, so why does it change things.

What if you get a new member joining your group for a comp, do you ask them what they normally shoot and if it's too high turn them away because you dont want to see that many shots.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wasn't there a recent 54 handicap topic where this was discussed, sure there was, didn't it get abusive towards certain members, sure it did, didn't it end up getting locked, sure it did....

Get them on the local 9 holer where they can dig about with the rest oh the chappers and lets leave the proper golf to us that can knock it round in less than 80ish.

Nothing wrong with a 9 holer. A golf course is still a golf course.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just comes across to me as a huge handicap snob

i agree with hank. playing with a high handicaper can be soul destroying. especially looking for balls on every hole. alot of times its twice on every hole.

people say this attitude is bad and to an extent i agree but most people just don't want to admit it because they're more concerned about being liked by others