New Car

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Need a bit of advice. In the market for a newer, bigger car. The old megane is too small for us now (me, HID, and the 2 kids who are 3&1).

Looking at people carriers due to the size of boot. I'd rather have an MPV than an estate for a few different reasons. The problem I have is that most people carriers come with a diesel engine. From what I've read modern diesels have a DPF which we would knacker with our type of driving. Think loads of short journeys with the occasional long journey. That narrows the options considerably.

A bit of digging has led me to the 1.4T vauxhall zafira tourer with petrol engine. Has anyone driven one or got any knowledge? Can you fit 4 sets of golf clubs in the boot when 5 seats are up (this is the de facto standard I use to judge boot size).? Will the engine have enough punch to get us around?Doesnt need to be 'dung off a shovel' fast as I'm not a boy racer, but a bit of poke is good for getting out of tricky situations.

We can get a 15 plate with 4k miles on the clock and it's affordable.

Cheers

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
If the 1.4 Zafira is anything like the 1.4 Vauxhall Meriva I wouldn't touch it. The Meriva has absolutely no power, rubbish visibility when turning (you'll end up looking like a meerkat, bobbing your head round to see the road, especially when turning right) and the widest turning circle you can imagine.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe Peugoet diesel engines can cope with short journeys etc as you describe without DPF issues. I don't think Peugeot have a car suitable for you but they supply their engines to other mfrs so that may be worth looking into.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Will look into the peugeot. Think the 5008 would be what i'm after.

With regards to the fireball problem i think thats with the old style zafira. The new tourer is not affected as it doesn't have the part that causes the fire. Or something like that.

Looked at Smaxs but getting a petrol one is like winning the lottery. Cant get to your link Lump but ill look later. Thanks.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Need a bit of advice. In the market for a newer, bigger car. The old megane is too small for us now (me, HID, and the 2 kids who are 3&1).

Looking at people carriers due to the size of boot. I'd rather have an MPV than an estate for a few different reasons. The problem I have is that most people carriers come with a diesel engine. From what I've read modern diesels have a DPF which we would knacker with our type of driving. Think loads of short journeys with the occasional long journey. That narrows the options considerably.

A bit of digging has led me to the 1.4T vauxhall zafira tourer with petrol engine. Has anyone driven one or got any knowledge? Can you fit 4 sets of golf clubs in the boot when 5 seats are up (this is the de facto standard I use to judge boot size).? Will the engine have enough punch to get us around?Doesnt need to be 'dung off a shovel' fast as I'm not a boy racer, but a bit of poke is good for getting out of tricky situations.

We can get a 15 plate with 4k miles on the clock and it's affordable.

Cheers

I would go for the Zaf all day long and the 1.4T seems a sensible choice.

The wife currently has the Zafira B 1.9 diesel, and we had the Zafira A 1.8 petrol before that.

On the whole both cars have been superb you will be hard pushed to find a better car in its class. The 7 seats are great when you need them and you'll have times when they are needed believe me.

1.4 engine seems a bit on the small side but they are turbo charged so I guess power should not be too much of a concern. Best thing is to go for a test drive with the whole family and throw a few bags in the boot for good measure. See how it drives and read some reviews also.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Sawtooth, cheers. Will get a test drive and see how it goes. Just didn't want to waste time going to see a car that will be blowing out of it's behind as soon as you get it on the motorway.

Virtuocity thanks but think the scenic diesels have a dpf which won't suit our types of journeys. On a side note i see you're down for the dundonald day out. Looking forward to it. Hope i don't get star-struck with all you internet celebrities there 😜.