"new" Used car issue - any advice/ experience?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Last weekend I viewed and test drove a 2007 honda CR-V. All was good except I asked them to do a service and MOT before purchase, which they did and fixed an issue with track rod ends which caused a failed mot.

Yesterday I picked the car up at around 10am, did the 30 minute drive home and all was well. Popped out in the afternoon around town and noticed a "groan" occasionally when pulling away in 1st gear. Phoned the garage and the sales guy seemed pretty disinterested but put me through to their service department who booked me in first thing Tuesday morning to look it over.

Today I started the car to show my father in law the noise and the engine management light has come on.

I've followed up yesterdays correspondence with another email as I don't want to try drive the car to them unless they agree to it.

So in terms of my rights and next steps.... I think I'd have to give them fair opportunity to review and fix and issue (if major) as the car came with a 3 month warranty. The fact that I reported issues within 6 hours of picking up the car should rule out "fair" wear and tear?

Any thoughts/opinions?

Cheers all

Adam

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was this Honda Approved or independent dealer? Sounds like the latter with the 3 month warranty.

Sounds like these faults were not present at time of purchase? If so, you will have to work with the dealer to see if the issue is normal wear n tear or a fault. If the latter then you could in the territory of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 where you could reject within thirty days, if it meets the criteria (fit for advertised purpose; satisfactory quality; fit for task advertised). If wear and tear it's more likely to be a warranty issue but only if its covered the warranty small print! It all depends on the nature of the fault(s) as EML can mean lots of things.

Keep on their case and hope it resolves favourably.

D

Deleted member 18121

Was this Honda Approved or independent dealer? Sounds like the latter with the 3 month warranty.

Sounds like these faults were not present at time of purchase? If so, you will have to work with the dealer to see if the issue is normal wear n tear or a fault. If the latter then you could in the territory of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 where you could reject within thirty days, if it meets the criteria (fit for advertised purpose; satisfactory quality; fit for task advertised). If wear and tear it's more likely to be a warranty issue but only if its covered the warranty small print! It all depends on the nature of the fault(s) as EML can mean lots of things.

Keep on their case and hope it resolves favourably.

Yes independent and no, nothing was present at time of purchase... Only about 25 miles after purchase ?

My gut reaction is either clutch or gearbox problem... I didn't feel the clutch slipping when driving, but then I'm no expert.

To be honest, I like the car apart from this.... So I'm hoping a reasonable solution can be met.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes independent and no, nothing was present at time of purchase... Only about 25 miles after purchase ?

My gut reaction is either clutch or gearbox problem... I didn't feel the clutch slipping when driving, but then I'm no expert.

To be honest, I like the car apart from this.... So I'm hoping a reasonable solution can be met.
Clutch isn't often covered under warranty. Gearbox more likely. If one of those, they really should have exhibited on your test drives.

The fact that the dealer has booked it in promptly is promising.