myHermes - gutted

eastwoodclint

Hacker
Visit site
Long time reader, first time poster.

Bit the bullet and bought a new Ping G400 driver off ebay for a good price. I'm a lefty and there are very few of these advertised. Was home last night waiting for delivery, and to my surprise status changed to "delivered" despite no one ever showing up at my door. Couldn't recognise the signature of the recipient either...

At a loss here, I contacted the courier (Hermes) and they are investigating it but I am not holding my breath. Has anyone had this experience before? I am slightly worried that should the driver not show up I won't be able to ask for a refund by ebay since it has technically been delivered (but to whom, I have no idea).

Not my first terrible experience with Hermes, but certainly this takes the cake. Last parcel the courier himself had signed for the package so worried there might be something funny going on here...

Anyone have a similar experience?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they can't produce a proof of delivery, POD, with your signature then it has not been delivered. The onus is on the sender to speak to Hermes and establish where the parcel has gone to. The driver may have given it to a neighbour but they need to inform you of this.

At the moment the problem is not yours. Don't make it yours. Contact the seller and tell them you don't have it and they need to deal with Hermes. If necessary they will have to refund you.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I had a set of irons go missing just before Xmas one year. Story was that the courier got his mate to deliver them & he allegedly gave them to "someone by the door" Totally indecipherable signature. I claimed a refund which was paid promptly. I profited from this because I didn't have to pay the P & P. Good old Herpes, I still use them.

eastwoodclint

Hacker
Visit site
Cheers gents, making me feel a bit better. Still hoping it will turn up at some point!

Hermes just seems like such a shoddy operation, particularly the Oxford division...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Not necessarily Hermes but we were expecting delivery of a new rug yesterday but it never arrived. Went outside this morning in the rain and there it was, on the path on the side of the house, luckily well wrapped but no note or message to say it'd been left!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hermes are only really as good as the local delivery man

ive sent 20 parcels with hermes and not yet had a problem (touch wood) had countless deliver to me.. the wife when she lived at home hated hermes because they always "tried" to deliver and had no safe place so just returned to sender... however our house the shared drive is huge so the man can walk to the back gate and carefully drop over (have watched how careful on CCTV replay.. we do have a good guy! careful for sure)

if a parcel is small ill use royal mail second class but if its a golf bag or a club ill use hermes as for like £7 you get it delivered but parcel force is £12

I get tracking on the hermes website and never had an issue yet

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cringe every time I see that an item is being delivered by Hermes. I've had numerous parcels 'delivered' but never arrived and every time it is Hermes who have been the courier. Even giving them an alternative delivery address if I'm not in doesn't seem to work.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've had some unsatisfactory experiences with Hermes before, but as someone up above said its the sellers job to pick and make sure stuff gets to you and isn't damaged. Important to follow up on it so that the seller knows what the problem is and can share your experience.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had some unsatisfactory experiences with Hermes before, but as someone up above said its the sellers job to pick and make sure stuff gets to you and isn't damaged. Important to follow up on it so that the seller knows what the problem is and can share your experience.

I sent a bag this week via them, their standard coverage is £20 but because the seller paid £50 i paid the 70p or whatever difference to upgrade the coverage just so if I had let my buyer down I could refund them without being out of pocket myself

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They're not the best but far from the worst.
I've used them many times and only had one or two issues.
Our local delivery girl ,Jena ,young Polish Lass - does a brilliant job.
Always smiling and always has a chat.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I sold a golf bag flight cover last month on EBay... chap says he never got it. Hermes said was "left with neighbour" who denies it.

Hermes send me a form to send to the buyer, who signs and returns.

Buyer has logged issue on EBay, so Paypal lock my account while waiting resolution.

I get the signed form back from the buyer, try to refund him through EBay, but the Paypal element of it is frozen so cant refund him ... I message Paypal and Ebay neither of whom replies...

Hermes say if I want a refund from them email the form back...so I do. They say I haven't so I send again... no idea whats going on!

A 3 companies are great till something goes wrong. When it does, they are utterly useless as put no resource into complaint resolution.

EBay/Paypal are so big they couldn't give a stuff

Hermes are marginal at best.

What a waste of time!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sold a golf bag flight cover last month on EBay... chap says he never got it. Hermes said was "left with neighbour" who denies it.

Hermes send me a form to send to the buyer, who signs and returns.

Buyer has logged issue on EBay, so Paypal lock my account while waiting resolution.

I get the signed form back from the buyer, try to refund him through EBay, but the Paypal element of it is frozen so cant refund him ... I message Paypal and Ebay neither of whom replies...

Hermes say if I want a refund from them email the form back...so I do. They say I haven't so I send again... no idea whats going on!

A 3 companies are great till something goes wrong. When it does, they are utterly useless as put no resource into complaint resolution.

EBay/Paypal are so big they couldn't give a stuff

Hermes are marginal at best.

What a waste of time!

Most companies are the same until they go wrong. Royal Mail broke something I sold a few months ago was a ball ache to claim

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
As someone mentioned they are as good as the local delivery person who arrives usually in their own car.

The most annoying thing for me is when they leave a card saying they will try again the next day. There’s no number and no way of contacting them, so if your a normal person who goes to work it’s sometimes impossible to get your parcel

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Latest Myhermes terms of business make interesting reading

We will have proved that we made a Delivery if we have: - the Recipient's signature; or
- a neighbour's signature; or
- a drop card if the Parcel has been left in a Safe Place; or
- a Safe Place Photo; or
- data is avaiable of the Geolocation.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get parcels from all carriers at work. Some for work, some for me. Hermes are the loosest of all carriers, the least professional. My local delivery person is very good and we have an understanding so it works okay. I can see the weaknesses however and I personally would not use them to send anything. They are cheap and that is tempting but I'd always suggest shipping with another.

As has already been mentioned none of the carriers are great when there is a problem but the Hermes method of deciding a delivery has been made is so loose they are best avoided.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Latest Myhermes terms of business make interesting reading

We will have proved that we made a Delivery if we have: - the Recipient's signature; or
- a neighbour's signature; or
- a drop card if the Parcel has been left in a Safe Place; or
- a Safe Place Photo; or
- data is avaiable of the Geolocation.

Would love to have seen the safe place photo when they left my new TV outside my front door.