Golfbidder on ebay

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The secondhand club market seems like everyone wants top dealer money for clubs whereas these dealers only offer about 30% of what they sell them for so it would seem a no brainer to put them on ebay at say a 65% of dealer prices and you you get double the dealers offer?

I've been buying clubs on ebay for over 12yrs, and back then some new sets only sold for 30-60% of rrp when a newer model came out and dealers were clearing old stock this was premium brands like callaway. Nowadays dealers are trying to get more for 10yr old used iron sets than I paid for same clubs 10yrs ago when they were a year old model.

Unfortunately as we pay pros more wages, that cost has been passed down to the consumer. This forces new sets to increase in cost and therefore with such a huge gap in new club sales the resale value on older clubs can increase.

I sold my 2012 TM CB’s on here for £200 in 2014. the same clubs are making £300 on eBay now 8 years on. The difference being the current replacements for them back then would have been 600-700 max, not 1300-1500.

The wise man buys the new old stock clubs at 50% write down when the new model is launched and sells his 3 or 4 year old set losing relatively little money.

ThinBullet

Visit site
The wise man buys the new old stock clubs at 50% write down when the new model is launched and sells his 3 or 4 year old set losing relatively little money.

Doesn't really work like that now. People who think they will get their chunk of money back for used gear isn't what happens in reality. In reality, people take your images, upload them to GolfClubs4Cash, and get a valuation, often a very low one, and hit you with it, and offer just above that valuation claiming it's your only option, as "You'll not get anymore for it anywhere else"

I remember 2 years ago flipping clubs weekly and be lucky to lose/gain £10-20 each time. Now you have to be extremely careful about the clubs you buy. Took me 3 months to sell my P7MCs. A club no one wants. Blades are even harder to sell, and have the biggest gap in expectation vs reality in used prices.

For example, a chap had a mint set of MP4s for sale. Wanted £350 for them. GC4C price was £167 for the 3-PW set. As a buyer, I'm instantly thinking that I'm losing around £150 on those if I buy them or worse.

I search Marketplace for clubs everyday, and I've never known a time where the same clubs have been sitting for weeks if not months. Price drops galore. Golfers aren't really changing clubs at this time, and those who are buying are looking to make a good profit on your gear for their wee cash in hand no tax man side hustle.

Teebs

Visit site
The wise man buys what clubs he wants, when he wants and doesn't get excited or concerned when they gain or lose a few ££.
Very easy now to have a look at Ebay and work out what the market value of a club is

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I own a lot of golf clubs.
I don't think any of them have gone down in value this year. ;)
Don't expect any of them to go down in value next year either.

ThinBullet

Visit site
It just doesn't make sense at all to buy new golf clubs, unless you're the sort of person who hangs on to them until the chrome wears away, but there's not many of them around, as people are flipping clubs on a weekly basis.

I still find it hilarious that some websites think that some clubs that look like they've had more hits than the Beatles deserve top drawer valuations, when they probably bought them in for £5.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It just doesn't make sense at all to buy new golf clubs, unless you're the sort of person who hangs on to them until the chrome wears away, but there's not many of them around, as people are flipping clubs on a weekly basis.

I still find it hilarious that some websites think that some clubs that look like they've had more hits than the Beatles deserve top drawer valuations, when they probably bought them in for £5.
Especially "in" clubs like 7 woods ....
The number that looked like they've been used to bury a body but still command a 8/10 rating........ :ROFLMAO:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
The wise man buys what clubs he wants, when he wants and doesn't get excited or concerned when they gain or lose a few ££.
Very easy now to have a look at Ebay and work out what the market value of a club is
Work out the value of these 1980s Wilson Andy Bean Professional - woods 1, 3, 5 and irons 3-SW?

01.jpg

hughwp

Visit site
What we are seeing is a typical bubble same happened to bicycles during lockdown with a shortage and people paying silly money. Now they are all on FBMP or ebay for a small fraction of what people payed for them.

Given the economic fundamentals like inflation and interest rates things will get worse for the foreseeable future as these effects unwind, and more companies will go bust meaning less money for luxuries like golf clubs.

I can see more golf clubs closing, several around here have closed since the 90s boom and I suspect most of these big resellers on ebay get their stock from golf shops closing down or shifting on old stock or from fire sale auctions when companies go bust.

As with cycles I can see the market supply/demand reversing and a collapse in prices for most of the junk type stuff you see on ebay. The quality and sought after stuff will likely still hold a good price but the market for the vast majority of all the old worn out and unpopular stuff with little demand will collapse, so now is a good time to shift on stuff like this.

hughwp

Visit site
Work out the value of these 1980s Wilson Andy Bean Professional - woods 1, 3, 5 and irons 3-SW?

View attachment 50241
I bought a unused complete set of Peter Alliss Tour 2 branded golf clubs and matching golf bag for £2 plus 40p commission at the local auction house about 5yrs ago. They were as new, sold them on a few months later for £50 locally similar sets but used on ebay for about £200 !

Voyager EMH

Visit site
There was an article in The Times yesterday about some 20-year-old cars going up in value (selling price) this year.
Something can happen with some golf clubs in a similar way to cars.
Brand new ones depreciate straight after they are bought. After somewhere around 20 years the selling price bottoms out for good ones.
Ones that were very good or are remembered with fondness start to go up in value after around 25 years.
After 40 years or more, some are regarded as classics and people are willing to pay large amounts just to own. Prices depend on rarity and condition for these.

The problem with the market for second hand golf clubs that are only a few years old, is that the brand new price was highly inflated and remains so.
And I don't get the feeling that many 40-years-into-the-future classics have been made in recent years.
I predict that the TM Stealth driver will come to be regarded as an amusing novelty rather than a classic.
Probably a lot of shiny future-junk being made in the 2020s, because so much of it is not "better enough" than 15-20 years before.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Especially "in" clubs like 7 woods ....
The number that looked like they've been used to bury a body but still command a 8/10 rating........ :ROFLMAO:
Been watching a ping g25 7 wood on eBay, what are they, 9-10 years old? Sold for £175! Think I’ll forget the 7 wood and get another hybrid. Ridiculous.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been watching a ping g25 7 wood on eBay, what are they, 9-10 years old? Sold for £175! Think I’ll forget the 7 wood and get another hybrid. Ridiculous.
Seven woods usage seems to have gone through the roof in the last few years, and the demand hasn't caught up hence there's only a tiny second-hand market for them. When I got mine I was lucky enough to get it when Affordable Golf were clearing old stock through their ebay outlet. So it was new in wrapper but only £170. That was three years ago - I could probably sell it for £170 now if I wanted to. 😆

hughwp

Visit site
I picked up an excellent 2022 Srixon VX hybrid from golfclubs4cash website for 65 all in, it was 74 reduced from 99 but the site lets you put in offers so maybe I could have ot it cheaper? The rrp on this was about 225 last year, but a 2023 model has come out at about 240 so getting a last years club at about 75% off seems reasonable.

Some brands like Ping and TM you are lucky to get 15-25% off last years models

hughwp

Visit site
I noticed that recently that most of the clubs on ebay sold by dealers have stiff shafts and seem to be aimed at better players?

There does not seem to be much stuff on there for beginners/average players apart from a few private sellers, the rest seems like old tat or new stuff at vastly marked up BIN prices

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If anyone’s after a 7 wood this looks an absolute bargain based on the general price of these, senior flex shaft unfortunately or it’d be on its way to me!

hughwp

Visit site
If anyone’s after a 7 wood this looks an absolute bargain based on the general price of these, senior flex shaft unfortunately or it’d be on its way to me!

Looks very rough to me, PGA value guide is $27 for a goodun, so I would not pay more than 25 for this if I wasn't a lefty
Got a nice rogue sub zero 5 wood with cover for 44 all in recently.
Occasionally golfclubs4cash have some decent deals if you use their website instead of ebay you can make offers they will often give a 20% discount
they seem to have 100s of 7 woods but 80% are ladies clubs

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks very rough to me, PGA value guide is $27 for a goodun, so I would not pay more than 25 for this if I wasn't a lefty
Got a nice rogue sub zero 5 wood with cover for 44 all in recently.
Occasionally golfclubs4cash have some decent deals if you use their website instead of ebay you can make offers they will often give a 20% discount
they seem to have 100s of 7 woods but 80% are ladies clubs

One sold on there for £175 last week…

hughwp

Visit site
One sold on there for £175 last week…
Saw that, Must of had money to burn for paying 7x the Pga value for a 10yr old club. I aim to buy clubs at around 1-2x PGA value max

I got a as new LH Rogue st max reg 7 wood off Callaway pre-used site for less than £150 delivered a month or two back.