My first Round

minigolfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Last Saturday i had my first round of golf at Cleoburry Mortyimer. I really really loved it but i was a bit depressed about the fact that non of my shos went where i wanted them to and i dont understand why because whenever i play on grass my shots go straight. t he end of it we were exhausted and me and my dad both got 50 over the nine holes when the par was 34.If anyone has any tips it would be really helpfull

Timh27

Head Pro
Visit site
If you haveent had lessons then that would be the best way to go. If you have then just keep practising. Maybe try and find a 9 hole course at a quite time then if you hit a bad shot you can drop another ball and try again aslong as you play the original ball as the next shot.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Find a good Club pro that you can relate to and get a set of lessons booked as that will really help. Also try and go onto the course during quieter times Sunday afternoon for example where there is less traffic and you feel less pressure. We have all been there I shot a 62 for my first 9 holes I ever played :eek:

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everyone has had a First round of golf, even Tiger had to start somewhere. The important part for you is that you enjoyed it. Good scores will come in the future with more play and practice,for now just get used to the feel of the clubs and have fun. Mark Calcaveccia once said "Just hit the ball,hard, it will always come down somewhere"

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
we were exhausted and me and my dad both got 50 over the nine holes when the par was 34.If anyone has any tips it would be really helpfull

You have a benchmark from which to compare your progress, that's good news.

Try to enjoy shooting 49 next time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get a few lessons to make sure you have the basics right. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to score well but try and focus on playing each shot properly. Try and focus on getting a good drive away and then hitting the green with your approach. If you need to chip or play a bunker shot try and ensure you look at using the right technique. On the green focus on trying to lag it close with long ones (I know Rotella doesn't like this method but its perfect for a novice) and on the shorter ones just pick a line and feel the speed.

Above all enjoy it. If you go out and shoot even worse don't worry as you'll learn something new about how to play a certain shot or what to do in a certain situation. Its once you stop learning in this game that you'll have a problem

roccokj

Head Pro
Visit site
Dont worry about it...just enjoy and keep up the practice. At least you did enjoy it. A shot from over 100yards has never gone were I wanted it...in the hole! :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last Saturday i had my first round of golf at Cleoburry Mortyimer.

That'll be Cleobury Mortimer then..... :)

50 is OK, even 60 wouldn't be that bad.

Do you know which "9" you played.

Keep at it.....you've played a proper course and it takes ages to get comfortable enough and start feeling you can play to your standard (whatever that is).

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
t he end of it we were exhausted and me and my dad both got 50 over the nine holes

there's a clue here, even if you do take 50 you shouldn't be exhausted after 9 holes.

it might suggest, you are overhitting, trying to smash the ball all the time. if you're not already, another reason for lessons - learn to let the club do more of the work.
plus you need to get out on the course more - standing still on a range does naff all for stamina.