My First Open Experience

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm just back drom my first Open at East Berks a 36 hole medal and it all ended up rather well. East Berks is a cracking heathland course in keeping with many in our neck of the woods. It's not overly long at around 6300 yds but it's tight and not the place you smash a driver off every tee unless you're really straight.

I played with a lad off 3, an East Berks member and another chap off 4 so I was most definately the runt of the litter in h'cap terms. We were playing for 2 trophies, the Wilson Bowl was the scratch prize ( I wasn't really playing for that given that about 80% of the field were Cat 1s) and the Lushington bowl was the handicap prize.

The morning round was pretty good, I ended up shooting 80 against a par of 69 but an SSS of 71 and really played well, 80 was the worst I could have shot but having never played the course before I was pretty pleased with it. My two playing partners had mornings to forget, my 80 being the lowest score in our group.

The afternoon started even better going out in 3 over gross and hitting the ball really well, you certainly wouldn't have known I was the high handicapper in the group. I still can't explain what happened on the back nine but I came home in a ambulance scoring +13 on the way in, playing some really sloppy shots that I can only put down to fatigue, for an 85 :eek:

Anyhow, not surprisingly the scratch prize was dominated by the group behind me which consisted of 2 guys off scratch and 1 off +1. One of the guys came second shooting 70\69 ( he now plays off +1) but the fella who started the day off +1 shot 68\65 and probably now plays off +2 - now that's proper golf.

The big surprise of the day was that despite my collapse on the back nine, I won the 2nd prize in the handicap competition (I was actually 5th but 3 of the ones above me were the scratch guys and you're only allowed 1 prize) so I came home with £55 quids worth of vouchers for the missus to spend in m&s and a glass tankard. Not bad at all. On top of that, CSS was 71 both rounds so I'm down to 9.6 and edging slowly back to single figures.

So all in all it was a great day, dissapointing about the back nine this afternoon but that's the joys of golf. I'll definately be going back next year and will be looking to play a few more opens as well if holiday permits.

Off to sleep now as I'm driving down to Devon at 7am tomorrow for 4 more days of golf - cracking

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well played fella. Not going to be around much for a while because of my mum but we'll catch up after you get back and get a game again. Need to keep an eye out on the entry date for the winter knockout

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I still can't explain what happened on the back nine but I came home in a ambulance scoring +13 on the way in, playing some really sloppy shots that I can only put down to fatigue, for an 85 :eek:

Off to sleep now as I'm driving down to Devon at 7am tomorrow for 4 more days of golf - cracking

Be careful - you're rapidly galloping towards 40!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
great day well played. And hope you make single figures shortly.

open events (and amateur tours) are great opportunities to play some different decent courses competatively at a good price.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
great scoring Mike - give us a heads up next year and I will join you in this event if there are spaces - still haven't played East Berks despite only living 4 miles away!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well played. Know the course well and those are good scores especially for someone playing it for the first time as although it isn't long it is tricky and will punish you if you get out of position.

Don't think you should be too harsh about the final 9. 36 is a long day and the back 9 has some tough holes; 10, 13 (superb long par 3, one of my favourite golf holes) 14, 17 and 18 are all potential card wreckers.