My Favourite Band and Why

RichA

Visit site
Great call. Saw Bruce and the band at Bramall Lane, Sheffield back in 1986/7. Never a massive fan beforehand, and I only really went to try and impress the young lady I was seeing at the time, but it was 4 1/2 hours of sheer brilliance.
It was '88. I was there too. Epic!

Carlwm

Visit site
Top five, in no particular order, would probably be:

Fairport Convention
Lindisfarne
Show Of Hands
REO Speedwagon
The Outlaws

RichA

Visit site
A great thread to follow for a couple of days. I still can't pick a single favourite of all time though - it's changed over the years.
10cc, Blondie, The Smiths, The Wedding Present, Springsteen, Amy Winehouse, Elbow. I can't pick any single entity from the rave/garage/house scene that ruled my musical taste for a decade.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting that after 70+ posts no one mentions The Beatles.
Possibly because they’re massively overrated?
The Beatles were the first music I recall - indeed I recall singing along to She Loves You ? but as I was only 4yrs old I didn’t become a fan.

I only became able to afford to buy albums and focus on a band when I had a paper round from age of 13 or 14. And my first was SEBtP off the back of the single from that album. 1973 saw the Beatles Red and the Blue albums, but they were double albums and these I could not afford to buy…and there were no Beatles singles in the 1973 charts to encourage me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Foreigner, just ahead of UFO.

Judge my favourites by seeing them live, so would have to include Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, and Whitesnake in my top five.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Is Genesis.

But yesterday for first time ever I listened to Led Zeppelin IV - and it’s great. So why Genesis and not Zeppelin.
You only heard LZ4 for the first time a couple of days ago? :eek:
You must have been living under a rock! :)

My introduction to Genesis was a bit left-field. Back in the late 70s I loved the band Brand X, so thought perhaps I ought to check out Phil Collins' other group.

My personal favourite group? Impossible to choose, but I'll throw in one that I bet few here will know. It's a Dutch band called Kayak. They have done three stunning rock operas about historical figures: Merlin (2003), Nostradamus (2005), and Cleopatra (2014). For a while they had a fabulous female singer called Cindy Oudshoorn who I think of as a sort of rock'n'roll version of Streisand.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Is Genesis.

But yesterday for first time ever I listened to Led Zeppelin IV - and it’s great. So why Genesis and not Zeppelin.

From the day I first listened to Selling England by the Pound. Age 14 it was my first ‘rock’ album - bought on the back of loving the single I Know what I like… all I had before then was a couple of classical records and S&G BoTW. I see the ‘orchestration’, story telling link into Genesis of the time.

But what about the rest…? What else was about…in 1973 that might have grabbed me. Plenty of great bands I could have landed on.

Well I took a very quick lookat what I could have bought in 1973…the year that SEbtP was released.

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (very, very not Simon and Garfunkel)
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans (I tried but ooof)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (I just didn’t have the £s but bought the cassette a few years later - love Floyd…but Genesis)
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (love it - taped it - close run thing but didn’t have the album in my hand so less connection?)
Supertramp - nothing new that year - Crime of the Century came in 1974 - I love it - but Genesis had me by then.
Bowie - Aladdin Sane - but perhaps Bowie was just too way out there for the young and very straight me.
Rick Wakeman - Six Wives of Henry VIII (just didn’t pick up on this - Journey to the Centre… came the next year as did my purchase of the cassette - but he not Genesis).

And so I have LZ I, LZ II and LZ III to listen to…and Physical Graffiti etc. I have not listened to ANY of them. Maybe Zeppelin will replace Genesis as my fave band…but I doubt it…first love and all that.
About the same age then, you and I.
The soundtrack of those years - too old for the youth club - too young for the pub - beautifully listed by you. Spent so much time listening to all those you listed and more.
Genesis and Pink Floyd tracks still play in my head from time to time. The big one for me at that time was the album Made in Japan, Deep Purple and the legendary Smoke On The Water.
Sort of grew out of being such a heavy-metal freak and preferred Dr Feelgood from mid-1970s.
Genesis and Floyd though, joint top for me.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Am I allowed The E Street Band?? ....
First saw them live at MK Bowl and was hooked. Not sure how many times I've seen them now but 3 nights at Giants Stadium probably the highlight.
Was that in the late 80s/early 90s? If it was, then may I enquire whether you are now deaf?
I say this because at that time I was living in Newport Pagnell (about 5 miles away as the crow flies). A friend was over for the evening and we were indoors playing my stereo, fairly loudly. And yet we could still hear the obvious sound of "Born in the USA" thumping away in the distance!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was that in the late 80s/early 90s? If it was, then may I enquire whether you are now deaf?
I say this because at that time I was living in Newport Pagnell (about 5 miles away as the crow flies). A friend was over for the evening and we were indoors playing my stereo, fairly loudly. And yet we could still hear the obvious sound of "Born in the USA" thumping away in the distance!

Yes and no :)