My Favourite Band and Why

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rush.
First I heard of them was 2112 live from the All the World's a Stage live album...
I remember just sitting there with my chin on the floor....
Loved them ever since and devastated that there will be no more from them.
The sound they make as a 3 piece on stage is something else...

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
…and why? What got you ‘attached’ to Pink Floyd…what was it about them or their music that resonated so much that it has stayed with you beyond all else from when you started listening to music. Or maybe it was just the people or a person with whom you started listening to them and for that reason they mean what they do.

The first band I got into as a young teenager was Tyrannosaurus Rex and the first single I got was Alright Now by Free which I was kinda proud of to like a band like Free when I was about 13.

But my biggest influence was one of my older brothers who’s sadly no longer with us, he had a big record collection and went every weekend to see all the bands around in the late 60s and on.

He brought a record player with large speakers and he delighted whizzing the sounds around the speakers, this is was I first heard Meddle by Pink Floyd

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'm more into horn bands--jump blues, STAX/VOLT style 60s soul, NOLA Trad, that type of thing.
Because they're not presently prominent on the global scene,
my favorite bands tend to be local cover bands more than internationally known ones.

That band that travels around the British Isles and the Continent commemorating the 1991 Irish film, The Commitments, is quite good.

One English / Italian band that I liked a lot was the one with singer Hetty Loxton and woodwind virtuoso Charlotte Jolly.
I think that they may have broken up by now, but they were quite good.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Genesis. I came to them a little late, first really hearing them in ‘77 when a flatmate was a Genesis nut. Wind and Wuthering being played almost constantly, closely followed by And Then There we’re Three. I then bought the back catalogue.

My favourite album is Trick of the Tail but I’m more than happy to play any of them from around then.

Sadly, after Then there were Three was followed by Duke, and so on = dross.

Next to Genesis it’s early Supertramp, up to and including Even in the Quietest Moments. There’s the odd decent song on Breakfast in America but it’s also got some rubbish on it.

As my hearing is starting to go my taste is getting a bit more towards loud… AC/DC.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The first band I got into as a young teenager was Tyrannosaurus Rex and the first single I got was Alright Now by Free which I was kinda proud of to like a band like Free when I was about 13.

But my biggest influence was one of my older brothers who’s sadly no longer with us, he had a big record collection and went every weekend to see all the bands around in the late 60s and on.

He brought a record player with large speakers and he delighted whizzing the sounds around the speakers, this is was I first heard Meddle by Pink Floyd
As brothers I can agree with every word of this.
Another I can add is Emerson Lake and Palmer - Lucky Man!
My late brother would put it on and his wife used to say, "Turn it down!! And when she left the room he'd promptly turn it back up again. Great memories!
Another fave of mine were Fleetwood Mac. Whenever we went away on holiday in the car the cassette would go in for the entire journey!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
U2

Yes, i know its fashionable to despise them but i don't care. Once you separate Bono the singer from Bono the politician / spokesperson then the music is fantastic. Live they are stunning. Great songs as well. Incredible to think that Bono wrote With our Without You as a happily married man in his mid 20's.

Best live performances:

The intro and first 2 or 3 songs to Pop Mart best illustrated on the DVD live from Mexico City.
Where the Streets Have No Name on Rattle and Hum film and the Elevation Tour in Boston
With or Without You on the Rattle and Hum film
Out of Control at Slane Castle in 2001.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Tough one. I go through phases and have to say nowadays I don’t really have one particular favourite.

There was a time I’d listen to nothing other than Simply Red - I really enjoyed seeing them live, Hucknall being a genuine performer.

Also gone through phases where I focused on INXS - Michael Hutchence was unbelievable live, as I found out at Wembley in the early 90’s.

And one of my all time favourites were Talk Talk. Proper earphones on, whack up the volume music they used to turn out.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am I allowed The E Street Band?? Ok so not a band without Bruce BUT also, for me, Bruce without them isn't the same. I've always appreciated each individual and the part they play in making the whole, especially live, but a soft spot for Clarence (sadly departed) and Nils. The latter's solo in Because the Night - stunning.

First saw them live at MK Bowl and was hooked. Not sure how many times I've seen them now but 3 nights at Giants Stadium probably the highlight.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Am I allowed The E Street Band?? Ok so not a band without Bruce BUT also, for me, Bruce without them isn't the same. I've always appreciated each individual and the part they play in making the whole, especially live, but a soft spot for Clarence (sadly departed) and Nils. The latter's solo in Because the Night - stunning.

First saw them live at MK Bowl and was hooked. Not sure how many times I've seen them now but 3 nights at Giants Stadium probably the highlight.

I'm officially impressed & more than a little envious. :)

Billysboots

Visit site

Great call. Saw Bruce and the band at Bramall Lane, Sheffield back in 1986/7. Never a massive fan beforehand, and I only really went to try and impress the young lady I was seeing at the time, but it was 4 1/2 hours of sheer brilliance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fish/Marillion - Fish era (although Seasons End the first album with Steve Hogarth was excellent too). Was already a fan from the Script For A Jesters Tear debut but cemented when I met the band in the old Southampton pub next to Surbiton station when they were at Barwell Court in Chessington writing and rehearsing Misplaced Childhood. They were great company to four star struck fans and as already documented Fish and I have become good friends over the years as I've followed his 30+ year solo career.

However if the category was favourite band live then:
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Queen
Marillion
Dire Straits

in that order

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It was amazing. Bawled my eyes out on the final night when he finished with Jersey Girl. I was a tad obsessed for a while...stood outside his hotel in Paris for 4 hours in the rain hoping for a sighting! Nils did come out and sign my Tunnel of Love CD :love:

Only seen him a couple of times but he is fantastic live.

Managed 3 consecutive nights once at Wembley but 3 different bands; Bon Jovi, Billy Joel & the Eagles. Did also manage to see Bon Jovi at Soldier Field, Chicago; would have preferred New Jersey but at least it was home soil.

Billysboots

Visit site
Only seen him a couple of times but he is fantastic live.

Managed 3 consecutive nights once at Wembley but 3 different bands; Bon Jovi, Billy Joel & the Eagles. Did also manage to see Bon Jovi at Soldier Field, Chicago; would have preferred New Jersey but at least it was home soil.

You know your musical onions, Sir. Respect.