My Favourite Band and Why

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've just listened on YouTube songs by The Seekers - boy was Judith Durham a fabulous singer.
I’ve been listening to a fair bit of them also…I find it almost weirdly addictive - Judith Durham has such a great voice…I recall my mum loving her singing back then…and of course for us of a certain age (well me anyway)…Morningtown Ride is one of these ‘iconic of a time, unfashionable yet still great‘ songs. I think it was a regular on Junior Choice.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve been listening to a fair bit of them also…I find it almost weirdly addictive - Judith Durham has such a great voice…I recall my mum loving her singing back then…and of course for us of a certain age (well me anyway)…Morningtown Ride is one of these ‘iconic of a time, unfashionable yet still great‘ songs. I think it was a regular on Junior Choice.

Judith Durham

Mamma Cas Elliot

Dusty Springfield

Karen Carpenter

All wonderful voices from the 60's and 70's

and funny enough I saw Petula Clark a couple of weeks ago in Mary Poppins and even at her age she still could carry a note

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Judith Durham

Mamma Cas Elliot

Dusty Springfield

Karen Carpenter

All wonderful voices from the 60's and 70's

and funny enough I saw Petula Clark a couple of weeks ago in Mary Poppins and even at her age she still could carry a note

It's Getting Better - in my Top 10 songs I reckon!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Bit late to this party, but similar era to SILH, so some similar 'interests'.
Was never a great fan of most of ELP's 'grand' efforts - though Jerusalem (off BSS) and Fanfare for the Common Man (especially the vid in Munich Stadium!) do raise my pulse significantly. Their 'quiet' stuff (You Turn Me On and From The Beginning particularly and GL's 'I Believe in Father Christmas' is another favourite)
As a pretty tiny country, the vast majority of music was 'imported' but the advantage was that playlist selection was from all over the world (well, Aus, US and UK). My brother was a Cliff (and Genesis) fan, so that meant I had to find others as favourites! Shadows and Elton John were the obvious Brits, but the Buffalo Springfield sound (and its many derivitive bands) appealed - especially after I saw Easy Rider ('69)!
The 'slightly but not fully Country' sound still appeals greatly. I've been a huge fan (a Parrothead even!) of Jimmy Buffet since hearing him in my first flat in Wellington!

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I lost a bit of touch with them after St. Anger. Before that I was all over them and saw them a few times. This has prompted me to go and listen to their post St Anger albums and take a view...

I've finished listening to all albums that I don't have in my collection. One listen only reviews:

1. Black Album: :love:
  2. Load: :poop:
  3. Reload: Slightly better :poop:
  4. St. Anger: :unsure:
  5. Death Magnetic: :cool:
  6. Hardwired...: :cool: