My Favourite Band and Why

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is Genesis.

But yesterday for first time ever I listened to Led Zeppelin IV - and it’s great. So why Genesis and not Zeppelin.

From the day I first listened to Selling England by the Pound. Age 14 it was my first ‘rock’ album - bought on the back of loving the single I Know what I like… all I had before then was a couple of classical records and S&G BoTW. I see the ‘orchestration’, story telling link into Genesis of the time.

But what about the rest…? What else was about…in 1973 that might have grabbed me. Plenty of great bands I could have landed on.

Well I took a very quick lookat what I could have bought in 1973…the year that SEbtP was released.

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (very, very not Simon and Garfunkel)
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans (I tried but ooof)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (I just didn’t have the £s but bought the cassette a few years later - love Floyd…but Genesis)
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (love it - taped it - close run thing but didn’t have the album in my hand so less connection?)
Supertramp - nothing new that year - Crime of the Century came in 1974 - I love it - but Genesis had me by then.
Bowie - Aladdin Sane - but perhaps Bowie was just too way out there for the young and very straight me.
Rick Wakeman - Six Wives of Henry VIII (just didn’t pick up on this - Journey to the Centre… came the next year as did my purchase of the cassette - but he not Genesis).

And so I have LZ I, LZ II and LZ III to listen to…and Physical Graffiti etc. I have not listened to ANY of them. Maybe Zeppelin will replace Genesis as my fave band…but I doubt it…first love and all that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My favourite band is Biffy Clyro. I think they just tick the most boxes in terms of things I like. Heavy guitars, clever rhythms with some different time signatures, huge singalong choruses with harmonies, different genres and styles, quiet & loud dynamics, and their live shows are energetic and fun. There's nothing to not like.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
AC/DC - Superb back catalogue, so many great albums, and the early Bon Scott stuff sounds like it could have been recorded today

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
My favourite band is Biffy Clyro. I think they just tick the most boxes in terms of things I like. Heavy guitars, clever rhythms with some different time signatures, huge singalong choruses with harmonies, different genres and styles, quiet & loud dynamics, and their live shows are energetic and fun. There's nothing to not like.

A mate who was in a band had hired a studio so they could practice. There were a number of other studios there and were all in use. All of them were soundproofed.

Biffy Clyro were in one but nobody could do anything as they were so loud, so they all just stood and listened.

D

Deleted member 21258

Never really been into bands, more into individual songs.

However one band would probably The Drifters (way before my time!). Short records and smooth easy sounding.

2nd would be Maimi Sound Machine, Ace of Base, Wham, Eurthymics, Kool and Gang, Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, The Wurzels.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Queen weren't too shabby
No they weren’t, but back then in 1973 to me they were a bit of an odd band with a curious single…and when I listened to Queen I wasn’t immediately grabbed - maybe too many fillers as well as the interesting one - Seven Seas of Rhye. But maybe the oddness was why they are your favourite band…or are they?

Last edited:

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't know a lot about them until I saw them at Download a few years ago - really impressive live.
Zeppelin are a band I have tried to get into - I just can't, don't know what it is, as it should be something right up my street.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hard call to make but I would say The Wonderstuff. Been with me since the Eight Legged Groove machine when I was at school and have listened to them throughout my life. Seen them live once a year most years and Mile's lockdown live sessions really helped me through lockdown by giving me a focus to look forward to every week. Many bands come close but I think that is the one that has always stayed with me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Talking Heads. All talented, innovative, great rhythms, great style - what's not to like.

Like SILH though, only came onto Led Zeppelin recently. Heard some when I was a lad but didn't really bother with them at the time. LZ IV is good but LZ III is even better IMHO.
Looking forward to LZ III…might well listen later.

I have loved the music of many bands and artists over the decades…but if I could only have the music of one then it would be Genesis…quite probably because they were my first love and the Gabriel-era albums that I very quickly gorged on were and remain sublime.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That’s so hard to pick just one but I’ll say Pink Floyd
…and why? What got you ‘attached’ to Pink Floyd…what was it about them or their music that resonated so much that it has stayed with you beyond all else from when you started listening to music. Or maybe it was just the people or a person with whom you started listening to them and for that reason they mean what they do.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
…and why?

I do think that my attitude to certain bands changed over the last 2 years. Utmost respect for those who were doing things during lockdown to keep busy and to help keep people entertained. Spent plenty on merch with those bands and artists to help keep the money coming in. Lost some respect for those who either took a stance that I could not agree with (anti vax etc) or just spent their time on social media moaning that the venues were shut.

Big thumsb up to PWEI who atually managed a socially distanced and live streamed gig on my birthday last year to cheer up a pretty gloomy day. As a result, taking the long trip down to Birghton to see them on my birthday this year.