My Favourite Band and Why

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pink Floyd

So many memories whenever I play an album of theirs and I still listen to them a lot.

Probably started in my hippy years. So many of my mates loved to listen to them too, mainly loved the long instrumental tracks. Shared love of their music with my wife most later albums bought the day they were released.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Great call. Saw Bruce and the band at Bramall Lane, Sheffield back in 1986/7. Never a massive fan beforehand, and I only really went to try and impress the young lady I was seeing at the time, but it was 4 1/2 hours of sheer brilliance.

He has to be the best value for money among the top artists, he did 3 1/2 hours at Wembley until they pulled the plug on him. :mad:

Like you, not a great fan beforehand and still not keen on some of the studio stuff, but live he's on another level.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
My favourite band is 'Small Faces'. I've liked lots of others over the years but during my teenage years I thought they were fantastic and I still get a kick from their music.

If you ever see a musical called "All or Nothing" touring, grab the opportunity with both hands, you won't regret it. (y)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There was a time I’d listen to nothing other than Simply Red - I really enjoyed seeing them live, Hucknall being a genuine performer.

I was dragged screaming by hid to see him a couple of years back, and to be fair, they were really good. Did their hits and didnt mess them about which is my greatest annoyance when seeing live bands

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
He has to be the best value for money among the top artists, he did 3 1/2 hours at Wembley until they pulled the plug on him. :mad:

Like you, not a great fan beforehand and still not keen on some of the studio stuff, but live he's on another level.

It had chucked it down all morning before he came on stage, and the moment he did the sun came out. It was as though Bruce had ordered a change in the weather, which was good as I was ankle deep in mud in the Bramall Lane centre circle.

Never before or since have I seen a performer stay on stage for 4 1/2 hours with no break. He fully understands his crowd and how to give value for money, as you say.

Ranks right up there with the best I saw back in the day.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I was dragged screaming by hid to see him a couple of years back, and to be fair, they were really good. Did their hits and didnt mess them about which is my greatest annoyance when seeing live bands
Not been a fan for many years, but back in the late 80’s they produced some great albums.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Tough one. I go through phases and have to say nowadays I don’t really have one particular favourite.

There was a time I’d listen to nothing other than Simply Red - I really enjoyed seeing them live, Hucknall being a genuine performer.

Also gone through phases where I focused on INXS - Michael Hutchence was unbelievable live, as I found out at Wembley in the early 90’s.

And one of my all time favourites were Talk Talk. Proper earphones on, whack up the volume music they used to turn out.

Mrs is more a fan than I am, but he is a performer.

Saw what I believe was B. B. King's last visit to the Royal Albert Hall, and in the jam at the end Mick hucknall was the vocalist with the guest guitarists being Susan Tedeschi, Derek Trucks, Ronnie Wood & Slash. That's some band, and some validation of your talent if B. B. wants you with him.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only seen him a couple of times but he is fantastic live.

Managed 3 consecutive nights once at Wembley but 3 different bands; Bon Jovi, Billy Joel & the Eagles. Did also manage to see Bon Jovi at Soldier Field, Chicago; would have preferred New Jersey but at least it was home soil.

That's some hat-trick!

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Foo fighters.... Proper rock n roll band that I first saw live in 1997. Their music links with so many events in my life and I'm lucky enough to have seen them live 5 times.... Goosebumps.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
My favourite band is 'Small Faces'. I've liked lots of others over the years but during my teenage years I thought they were fantastic and I still get a kick from their music.

The first album I really fell in love with was Rockin' the Filmore by Humble Pie.
I bought two copies as I feared I'd wear the first one out!
I took a copy with me almost everywhere I went, it was like a badge.
Steve Marriott ................................. there'll never be another.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The first album I really fell in love with was Rockin' the Filmore by Humble Pie.
I bought two copies as I feared I'd wear the first one out!
I took a copy with me almost everywhere I went, it was like a badge.
Steve Marriott ................................. there'll never be another.
Amazing voice ?

D

Deleted member 1147

Led Zeppelin for me.
I learned to play the drums as a kid, and Bonzo was my inspiration. Not that I can play anywhere near as well as him.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Led Zeppelin for me.
I learned to play the drums as a kid, and Bonzo was my inspiration. Not that I can play anywhere near as well as him.

A mate is also a huge Bonzo fan, he used to have a set of amber 70s B/O badge Ludwig Vistalite drums, same spec as Bonham, they sounded incredible.
Rumour has it, Paul Thompson from Roxy Music owns one of Bonhams old kits ?