My 8 hours with James

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm not a wannabee golfer.... I don't care how I hit the ball, I've had my best days. I couldn't give a stuff if I tee'd of in 20 minutes and shot 68 or 78.

My passion is for helping people that want/ask for me to help them. I don't want to do it for a living, I choose who and when and use my spare time, it's like a day out for me.. it's actually better than playing.

Erm,...... enough said......

(I'm tough now, right?)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
! Ive been round golf a long time, caddied for tour players, seniors tour winners,guys who have tee'd it up with Jack, worked in golf retail just about seen every side of the game and if theres one thing that this game produces is "wannabees", enough said.....

What do you mean enough said tho ? what has anything you said above got to do with JO helping people ,

Is their something wrong with "wannabee" helpful for free if i can ? He is not charging for his time , he is not claiming to be PGA qualified .. so what is it you think he wants to be ?

id think you'd be far better asking the guys he helped if they have improved their ball striking or their game or their understanding & enjoyment of the game more than before their lesson , if he had succeeded in any of the above , they have gained something , since when has that been a bad thing ??

Ive helped a few with their putting , even got a mention for it at a prize giving i wasnt even at , 1st i knew was when others asked for advice , i dont WANNABEE a golf coach , but il help someone if i can ..

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
JO could be the best teacher in the world or he could ruin PJ for life.........but, PJ has gone to see him of his own free will (I'm presuming) so it is only him that can judge it's worth.

Hell, you can come and have a lesson off me if you like, I really have no clue how it all works but I am quality at keepy uppies :)

D

Deleted member 1147

If JO knows what he's talking about, and wants to help people, then that's great.
I only wish I knew how the golf swing works and could do similar. I can see what will happen based on someone's swing, but wouldn't have a clue how to go about telling them how to fix it.

Best of luck to JO for his coaching and anyone who uses his help.

TheDashingBlade

Club Champion
Visit site
I'd far sooner have a lesson from someone who is knowledgable and enthusiastic about teaching rather than some bitter, cynical sociopath who constantly harks back to their good old days on tour... and trust me I have had a rather painful half hour of a lesson from the latter!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
JO could be the best teacher in the world or he could ruin PJ for life.........

Qualified or not it means nothing, they don't offer a refund or money back guarantees.

My mate off 5 had lessons with a PGA pro for 2yrs, hit the ball worse afterwards and quit.

Another plays off 20 and has had hundreds of lessons. Can barely hit the ball for toffee.

I'm not blaming the teacher necessarily, the player has to implement the changes. It is what it is.

DCB

Visit site
Finally how I see your swing.... and the things you need to 'be aware' of....

You have a strong grip, very strong in fact, but you're hitting a FADE with it, that means you are holding off any 'roll' of your hands and keeping the face OPEN to the path... which isn't bad.

You've subsequently got your alignments all messed up so much so that your upper body is twisted to your feet and as a result you've developed a very OTT swing and a very leftwards path... which actually suits your strong grip..(Pro's pretty much all hit a fade with a held off release) but you've over done your path because of the MYTH that you have to stand square.

Seeing as you've taught yourself not to 'roll' the face it means that you will need to change your entire path, clubface alignment, set up, aim, feet and shoulder twist, and learn a new release in order to play a draw comfortably - it would be a serious relearning of everything you are currently doing and likely you won't be shooting level par again in a hurry.

In order to play a fade you only need to keep doing what you're doing..... but we want to REDUCE just how much you are overdoing it so that you swing a little more down the line of the ball rather than cutting across it so much.

Things to bear in mind:

Make SURE you are lined up properly - club face where you want the ball to start, path more left, stand square to the path, make sure the ball isn't suddenly off your back foot now!!!

Make sure your shoulders are square to your feet (not open or closed)
Head behind the ball.
Left hip a little towards target (see-saw motion) weight 50/50
Wider stance with driver.
Get the P2 position learnt (don't swing flat and to the inside!)
Swing the hands more UP the blue line
Try to return the club closer to the position it was at address (down the yellow line)
As and when try to soften your grip... draw an arrow on your hands if you have to!!

Thought you did pretty well.... and hit some nice shots.

Get some video!! :thup:

So why not work on easing that right hand grip and bringing it back to a softer or even neutral position. Surely that would be a more beneficial target in the long run ?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So why not work on easing that right hand grip and bringing it back to a softer or even neutral position. Surely that would be a more beneficial target in the long run ?

It will begin to 'fix itself' as will his swing path. This way he keeps playing. He was already fading it and will continue to do so... only better (more efficiently) than he was. We have discussed it... he WILL be softening it.... so he says :p

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I should think Winchester and Harrington were well qualified to teach people to play golf! Ive been round golf a long time, caddied for tour players, seniors tour winners,guys who have tee'd it up with Jack, worked in golf retail just about seen every side of the game and if theres one thing that this game produces is "wannabees", enough said.....

So your old and you've been around a bit,whoopee do.
Your way off the mark in your wannabe assumption.
Im 47 so past the lets get to professional status.
All im interested in is getting better at golf,im sure even you being the cynic can understand that.
I have been on the forum 4 odd years,have been to numerous meets and have me some really nice people.
This to me is what its all about,and enjoying it in the process.
Going to see James who imo has a good understanding of the swing was all about seeing if
he could see where I can improve.
I believe he has and i will be working on certain aspects.
I cant understand anyone who has a problem with that.
It was my own choice to see James,and its my own choice if I use his knowledge.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It ids admirable what James is doing and I would like to congratulate him and wish him continued success.

Having read the post from the start what he is teaching seems complicated. I am sure he knows his stuff and until people actually have time with him it must be difficult to comment. 8 hours seems an inordinate amount of time for instruction although I can understand why in view of the distance involved.

It would be interesting to know what progress has been made in 6 months time.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It will begin to 'fix itself' as will his swing path. This way he keeps playing. He was already fading it and will continue to do so... only better (more efficiently) than he was. We have discussed it... he WILL be softening it.... so he says :p

Sorry DCB, that was a bit abrupt, I apologise....

Ok, he has a strong grip, and currently holds it off to hit a fade with a very leftwards path. If he weakens his grip now it will only lend itself to the club face being MORE open and that means that he will start slicing if he has a leftwards path. So then we'll have to work on the path. If we work on the path we'll have to fix his OTT move..... and the list of changes gets bigger and bigger.

He already fades it..... but he does it with a steep 'cutty' motion... if we can reduce that cutty motion simply by changing his alignment then that's a good way forwards... because there's nothing wrong with hitting a nice fade... if it's done properly.

If he's still a little bit OTT it doesn't matter.. we're just trying to make it less, if he still has a strong grip it doesn't matter... we're just trying to make it less. Ideally he will start swinging on a path parallel to his open toe line.... once you're swinging parallel to your toe line all the time.... you can start changing where you aim... so then he won't need to be aiming so far left.... and then he'll hit smaller/tighter fades.... but it's not going to happen over night.

As I explained to him... you have to have the face left of the target... and the path left of that. Tiger Woods probably has the face 2 degrees left of the target and the path 2 degrees left of that.. he has very little margin for error, because he's GOOD. Pokerjoke needs a bigger margin for error to START WITH. Then as his path, OTT, grip, get better he can reduce that margin.... which is exactly what happened after about 30 balls when he said "Right let's see what happens if I stand a little squarer" as if he'd already sussed it after 30 swings... these things take time... if you only give it 30 balls and go back to your 'old ways' you're never going to improve. You gotta do the walking before the running. Even a baby takes 9 months to learn to walk..... and how long until they can run proficiently? I ain't never seen a running baby..... :p

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hitting a cut with an uber strong grip doesn't compute with me. I know fred couples does it but it leads to all sorts of problems for me. most namely, a s***k !

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
hitting a cut with an uber strong grip doesn't compute with me. I know fred couples does it but it leads to all sorts of problems for me. most namely, a s***k !

Funny you should say that.. I shanked more than he did

I was playing his swing over and over in my mind about how he was OTT and swung across his toes etc etc then he asked me to hit one to 'show him'... like you do... all I could think as a swing thought was "don't come over the top" and it shot off the hosel like a scalded cat. Got a LOVLEY video of it too, absolutely pure!!! :D

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So your old and you've been around a bit,whoopee do.
Your way off the mark in your wannabe assumption.
Im 47 so past the lets get to professional status.
All im interested in is getting better at golf,im sure even you being the cynic can understand that.
I have been on the forum 4 odd years,have been to numerous meets and have me some really nice people.
This to me is what its all about,and enjoying it in the process.
Going to see James who imo has a good understanding of the swing was all about seeing if
he could see where I can improve.
I believe he has and i will be working on certain aspects.
I cant understand anyone who has a problem with that.
It was my own choice to see James,and its my own choice if I use his knowledge.

:clap:

And that goes to James as well!

Though I'll continue to harangue him about some of the expressions he might happen to use that are clearly wrong - or I've misinterpreted! Such expressions might - but more than likely won't - be specifically referred to as 'bad' in a PGA type study course.

Now why hasn't he answered the question I asked in my previous post I wonder! :whistle:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Now why hasn't he answered the question I asked in my previous post I wonder! :whistle:

Didn't want to make you look foolish - again. :whoo:

How the hands arrive into impact is of no value in this thread, I want PJ to feel like he gets the shaft closer to the shaft plane (yellow line) that's all there is too it. If you want to discuss impact (as per my PM) then open a thread in the expert section and we can discuss it.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Didn't want to make you look foolish - again. :whoo:

How the hands arrive into impact is of no value in this thread, I want PJ to feel like he gets the shaft closer to the shaft plane (yellow line) that's all there is too it. If you want to discuss impact (as per my PM) then open a thread in the expert section and we can discuss it.
Expert section, yeah see you in there with Tiger, Seve, Jack....... good grief lol :rofl:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the 'experts' section?

I use the word 'experts' very loosely............... :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1147

Expert section, yeah see you in there with Tiger, Seve, Jack....... good grief lol :rofl:

Well you'll feel at home there won't you?
After all you have "been round golf a long time, caddied for tour players, seniors tour winners, guys who have tee'd it up with Jack, worked in golf retail just about seen every side of the game ".

So you clearly know what you're on about:thup:

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Qualified or not it means nothing, they don't offer a refund or money back guarantees.

My mate off 5 had lessons with a PGA pro for 2yrs, hit the ball worse afterwards and quit.

Another plays off 20 and has had hundreds of lessons. Can barely hit the ball for toffee.

I'm not blaming the teacher necessarily, the player has to implement the changes. It is what it is.

I know one that does. Seriously