Moderate/Faster swings?

Albo

Visit site
So the key difference you need as a 10 handicapper to become a plus handicapper is 9 yards off the tee.
No, I’d suggest 9 yards off the tee his very helpful, pretty close to a club less into the green, but that’s not worth 10 shots.
Approach game is where I think you’ll find the biggest handicap separation of good and much better.
Stick me on the green anywhere with a PGA pro they will beat me but the separation will be less than if you stick me 200 out.
Driving will also be a big separation too, but assuming both they and I can keep it in play off the tee then it comes back to approach and how much less they leave themselves in versus someone shorter.

Albo

Visit site
Maybes not swing speed. But there absolutely is between distance and handicap. Obviously we all know there are outliers, so there is no need to tell us.
I actually think if you Google average swing speed by handicap it will be pretty linear

sjw

Visit site
Like I said. There are outliers 🤷🏼‍♂️

Average Driving Distances, by handicap (male)
> 20 handicap: 205.2 yards
15-20 handicap: 211.2 yards
10-15 handicap: 220.4 yards
5-10 handicap: 230.3 yards
0-5 handicap: 237.8 yards
< 0 handicap: 239.6 yards

Are these carry or total? If they're carry, the >20 hdcp looks high. If they're total... then the <0 is surely too low?

sjw

Visit site
Probably total.

What do you base your findings on?

The fact that I am absolutely dog and yet hit a drive 240y with what I'd call reasonable regularity!

I know my iron play needs a lot of work but plus handicappers averaging under 240 yards off the tee? Just doesn't seem right to me

In fact, I've just looked at my stats on ShotScope (GPS-based) and my performance average (i.e. with outliers removed) in the last 15 rounds is 244 yards with driver. I think these numbers must be carry - and wrong.

Jason.H

Visit site
I too go with handicap is no indication of how far you hit a ball

I remember once playing in a Pro Am and the pro was hitting his drives 30-50 yards shorter than me, however he was like setting a guided missile.

"where do I hit this to Jim" he would ask and bang it would go virtually exactly where I said.

On a personal note even before I had a handicap I could drive the ball 300 on occasions with wooden headed clubs.

Your an outlier 😂😂😂

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The fact that I am absolutely dog and yet hit a drive 240y with what I'd call reasonable regularity!

I know my iron play needs a lot of work but plus handicappers averaging under 240 yards off the tee? Just doesn't seem right to me

In fact, I've just looked at my stats on ShotScope (GPS-based) and my performance average (i.e. with outliers removed) in the last 15 rounds is 244 yards with driver. I think these numbers must be carry - and wrong.

The full article the numbers came from.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/average-driving-distance-amateur-golfer/amp

Most people don’t hit the ball anywhere near as far as they think they do.
And these numbers are averages of tee shots, not driver distance, so as I said, there will be outliers and driving distance alone isn’t a metric of how good a player is.

You hit it 240 regularly, but what is your average, and where are you hitting it? 240 and in play is different to 240 and off the planet.

My average is 236 and my index is 7. My weakness is approach shots. My regular playing partner carries the ball 10/15 yards further than my total distance and is an 11 index. He also hits his weaker lofted irons 20 yards further than me. But he racks up quite a few penalty shots per round more than I do. Once he figures out how to keep it in play, he’ll kick my arse.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
If we’re chest beating 🤣
344 is my longest ever, downhill hole on a baked summer fairway, my previous longest on that hole was around 310 so maybe a dog picked it up and carried it the other 30 of yards lol.

D-S

Visit site
The key issues that need adding to the length = handicap debate are control and dispersion. When hitting it further you need to hit it straighter.
Faster swings tend to lead to less control which exacerbates bad shots making them worse or more costly. Also you need to factor in dispersion, a slightly crooked drive at 200 yards carry might still be in the fairway or in the 1st cut but with 40 yards more carry on the same line could be OB or in the deep rough. So those 3 or 4 not so good drives will cost significantly more shots.

Jason.H

Visit site
Since I’m hitting it further I’ve been running out of fairway and into rough on our dogleg index 1. Last year I never did this once now im having to aim further left or try to draw my tee shot.

D

Deleted member 31467

The full article the numbers came from.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/average-driving-distance-amateur-golfer/amp

Most people don’t hit the ball anywhere near as far as they think they do.

And these numbers are averages of tee shots, not driver distance, so as I said, there will be outliers and driving distance alone isn’t a metric of how good a player is.

You hit it 240 regularly, but what is your average, and where are you hitting it? 240 and in play is different to 240 and off the planet.

My average is 236 and my index is 7. My weakness is approach shots. My regular playing partner carries the ball 10/15 yards further than my total distance and is an 11 index. He also hits his weaker lofted irons 20 yards further than me. But he racks up quite a few penalty shots per round more than I do. Once he figures out how to keep it in play, he’ll kick my arse.
What is the point of posting stats for all combined tee shots when the discussion is about distance?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Generally I find titleist pro v or Avx will fit any speed swing and deliver the top end performance for that given level. If you don’t want to buy new, buy lake balls.