Mizuno tour truck fitting day...

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the thin top line etc just looks sublime.

Ain't it though?!

Interesting you say about the PW ballooning on you, I’ve been finding this with my 850 forged’s. Rather hoping the 919 tour don’t balloon on me in the lower irons.

That's because the CG is low in the face, so if you hit it lower in the face it gets it rising but if you hit it high in the face it sends it to the moon, that's true of the JPX Forged and SCs, MMC and Fli Hi and what gives you a nice flight in the longer irons. In the Tours and MP18s that isn't the case, CG is smack bang in the middle, so with your shorter irons no balloons, you should be able to get that lovely pentrating flight that makes you feel all tingling where it matters. :giggle:

Hopefully won't be long for you chap, they said they're doing a stocktake this week which is why the hold up but once they're done they're hoping to get back to their 5 working day tunraround. (y)

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Just back from the Mizuno fitting day at Belton Park, elated and tired, you defo put a lot of effort and concentration in. Great set up , open range all to ourselves so nice and private wasn’t worried about talking while others were practicing. Mizuno tent set up with bags full of all the options, like a kid in a sweet shop. The club pro and Mizzy fitter were very personable and knowledgeable as you’d expect.

Optimiser suggested a few shafts and the Trackman fed live data onto a little screen. When I was up I hit the ball well, loads of good strikes to take data from and tight dispersions so it was a matter of fine tuning really. And what I thought I’d be getting from an ill-fated fitting at American golf (they didn’t have many options because several heads had become stuck in several shafts drastically reducing their range). I ended up with a set they didn’t even have. Different shafts too, I’ve been playing with the stiff KBS 90s and was confirmed at AG but got better flight with the Nippon 95s.

So the set will be 4 - 7 iron in the MP SCs and 8, 9 wedge in the MP blades. The 6 iron SC is about the same as a 7 iron Tour distance wise but the flight and dispersion were way better with the SCs. I hit the SC 4 iron better than the fli hi, even carved out a cheeky draw and couple of stingers with it. It’s way more forgiving/versatile than I would have imagined and the thin top line isn’t scary at all.

As for the MPs, I’m as confounded as anyone. Thought they’d be too much club for me but I was launching them sweet, the SC Wedge ballooned a few times and they said the blade is better for me to control. They were very complimentary about my striking and said I’d have no problem with them and he proof was in the data (and moreso where the ball went!). I pulled the trigger on the spot and will be hoping the magic doesn’t wear off when I get back from hols at Easter.

Then it’s time to shred this handicap 👍🏻

Interesting; I was fitted for either the KBS Tour 90 stiff OR the Nippon Modus 105 regular, numbers were so close they said your choice. Also ended up with the Nippon as I found that wherever I hit the KBS it felt good, had to find the centre of the clubface for good feel off the Nippons, and they also had a slightly flatter flight.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
they also had a slightly flatter flight.

Exactly, that's what the fitter was going for. Think my spin numbers were slightly better with the Nippons but tbf he didn't bog me down in the stats, just handed me different combinations and said hit those. The pro in the shop said they've loads of manufacturers come and do emo days and he doesn't think any of them do iron fittings better than Mizuno. I had a 45 minute slot, some only do 30, and the range of options available (with no upcharge) is second to none as far as I can tell.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Exactly, that's what the fitter was going for. Think my spin numbers were slightly better with the Nippons but tbf he didn't bog me down in the stats, just handed me different combinations and said hit those. The pro in the shop said they've loads of manufacturers come and do emo days and he doesn't think any of them do iron fittings better than Mizuno. I had a 45 minute slot, some only do 30, and the range of options available (with no upcharge) is second to none as far as I can tell.

Slightly higher spin but a slightly lower flight? Were you offered the Modus105 or just the 950's?

My fitter only bothered me with the stats at the end, and only because the two shafts were so close. The stats were as good as a dead heat, he showed me to confirm his reluctance to commit to one over the other, said your call. The pro let me take out the heads and shafts from his demo cart to hit some on the course and the Nippon won out (he had the Mizuno fitter come to the club and use our swing studio to do the fitting).

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slightly higher spin but a slightly lower flight? Were you offered the Modus105 or just the 950's?

My fitter only bothered me with the stats at the end, and only because the two shafts were so close. The stats were as good as a dead heat, he showed me to confirm his reluctance to commit to one over the other, said your call. The pro let me take out the heads and shafts from his demo cart to hit some on the course and the Nippon won out (he had the Mizuno fitter come to the club and use our swing studio to do the fitting).

Great service. I couldn't tell you what shafts I was using tbf there were a fair few clubs being passed back and forth. Again dispersion wise there was little in it, and I could have easily walked away with a couple of different options but this one worked best. I'm pretty sure it was the 950s I ended up with?! I'll find out Easter weekend! (hopefully)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks chaps, definitely going to be scared to take a divot for a few days.

Let me know when you’re ready Homer 👍🏻👍🏻

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
First session with the 919 tours and sublime doesn’t describe these well enough.

Attachments

• 0A1E49B5-758F-4D1A-A5C8-CE12EAA430B4.jpeg
    0A1E49B5-758F-4D1A-A5C8-CE12EAA430B4.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 16

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Only just getting around to reading this thread. Fascinating read guys!

I’m in the market for a new set of Mizuno’s after 10 years playing my mp59’s which I’ve absolutely loved.

I’ve seen the offer of a full tour fitting experience for £500. Is this the same as what you guys did?

Mandofred

Visit site

I’m in the market for a new set of Mizuno’s after 10 years playing my mp59’s which I’ve absolutely loved.

I’ve seen the offer of a full tour fitting experience for £500. Is this the same as what you guys did?
£500 for a fitting??? ha....ha.....hahahahaha.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site

This isn’t what I did. Silvermere charge £100 I think it was for a set of irons but if you buy a set they refund you the fitting fee.
The £500 fitting fee is the one at bear wood lakes. I’m really considering this for the next set. You spend almost all day there and walk out with the clubs same day. Fitted by Mizunos top fitters that would be in tour with the pros.

evemccc

Visit site
This isn’t what I did. Silvermere charge £100 I think it was for a set of irons but if you buy a set they refund you the fitting fee.
The £500 fitting fee is the one at bear wood lakes. I’m really considering this for the next set. You spend almost all day there and walk out with the clubs same day. Fitted by Mizunos top fitters that would be in tour with the pros.
Were you not too pleased with your iron fitting? Silvermere is supposed to be one of Mizuno’s trusted performance centres - only a handful of those in the country
I’m curious because as soon as lockdown is over I’m getting fit for clubs and interested / have a vested interest in knowing good/not so good stories as I choose where to go.

I probably wouldn’t go to Bearwood because I believe the £500 isn’t used as credit to the clubs you purchase, and I don’t think I want a Mizzy Driver....but if you wanted a full bag of Mizuno then I can see the benefit of a Bearwood Lakes fitting

....and £500 is a chuffing lot for a fitting. I’d have to be nearish scratch or loaded to think about that

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Were you not too pleased with your iron fitting? Silvermere is supposed to be one of Mizuno’s trusted performance centres - only a handful of those in the country
I’m curious because as soon as lockdown is over I’m getting fit for clubs and interested / have a vested interest in knowing good/not so good stories as I choose where to go.

I probably wouldn’t go to Bearwood because I believe the £500 isn’t used as credit to the clubs you purchase, and I don’t think I want a Mizzy Driver....but if you wanted a full bag of Mizuno then I can see the benefit of a Bearwood Lakes fitting

....and £500 is a chuffing lot for a fitting. I’d have to be nearish scratch or loaded to think about that
I was very pleased with the fitting and service from Silvermere and will be back without a doubt. Excellent service and you get GC Quad as well as Srixon Z-stars so you can see the numbers and the ball flight. It was excellent.
Only reason I said I’d go to bearwood lakes for the tour fitting was more from an experience point of view as well as the fitting of course.
£500 is pretty much the price of a driver that many won’t hesitate to spend money on. I think it’s great experiences like this are even available to us hackers. £500 at bearwood won’t be credited back. What you’re paying for is the time with tour truck professionals and not joe blogs in American Golf.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Swinger had a full fitting Mizuno tour fitting at Bearwood Lakes. All clubs except putter I think. He won the fitting plus clubs at auction year or so back. Looking at fitting cost he got a real bargain.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I was very pleased with the fitting and service from Silvermere and will be back without a doubt. Excellent service and you get GC Quad as well as Srixon Z-stars so you can see the numbers and the ball flight. It was excellent.
Only reason I said I’d go to bearwood lakes for the tour fitting was more from an experience point of view as well as the fitting of course.
£500 is pretty much the price of a driver that many won’t hesitate to spend money on. I think it’s great experiences like this are even available to us hackers. £500 at bearwood won’t be credited back. What you’re paying for is the time with tour truck professionals and not joe blogs in American Golf.

this is why I’m interested in the Mizuno tour day. It’s £500 for an experience that I wouldn’t forget. I’ve been playing golf for over 35 years and I’ve had 3 sets of clubs in that time (one of which were stolen) so I don’t buy new irons often.

I’m very tempted.