Mizuno tour truck fitting day...

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I think he’s gone for both?! I did a fitting at American golf last week, felt sorry for the fitter I reckon she was pretty good but they don’t have enough stock. The heads get stuck so not every head - shaft option was available - including the one it looked like I was best suited for. Good to know the right ball park. Think the jpx Forged are back in the conversation after having ruled them out initially

I must admit too that the experience at Camberley AG was not bad. The thing that befuddled me was he didnt even try the mizuno swing dna gadget shaft optimiser. I wasnt going to buy then and there anyway but the plan was to get some information and see what clubs I preferred.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Booked the fitting with Silvermere for Friday, if I'm not happy or have any doubts Ill do the tour truck fitting in late April and buy the clubs then.
Are you going to the Silvermere one specifically to hit Mizuno or will you try a couple of other make/models on the off chance. Not trying to throw a curve ball in but there is a wealth of choices there

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you going to the Silvermere one specifically to hit Mizuno or will you try a couple of other make/models on the off chance. Not trying to throw a curve ball in but there is a wealth of choices there

I've got an hour and a half so I am going to see what else they've got, doesn't hurt to try. Thing is, I just dont like the looks of any of the other clubs. I've got a mate with M4 irons and he sent them back for a refund as the backs were falling off. Another friend with P790's is having issues and his have been sent back. Therefore, not only do I not like the taylormade irons, I wouldn't touch them anyway. And then there's the face caving issues some of their older irons had....

I tried the Ping i500 back to back with the 919's and while they were OK, still didnt like them and hit them no better.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I didn’t try any other manufacturers but had a long look in the fitting draw at the callaway, ping and TaylorMade heads and they just don’t do it for me. I did however do back to back comparing with the 919 tour and MP18 SC, dispersion with the SC’s seemed a bit tighter but I must have taken my worst swing with me this morning, I was striking it fairly well but alignment and ball position was off and was drawing them quite a lot - more than usual anyway.

The sun was beating down and in the enclosed fitting bay without a breath of wind I was sweating buckets, the standard tour velvet grip on the demo shafts were not helping as I’ve always played a corded grip due to sweaty hands (gaming the MCC plus 4 currently). Definitely not my a game but it was nice to mishit a few (which will obviously happen) and see how forgiving they were. I hit a couple right out the toe and while they were a bit short they flew well. Once we had an alignment stick down I was hitting them a bit better.

The nitty gritty between the 919 tour and MP-18 SC was negligible, so with one of each in either hand it had to be the 919 tour, just love the look of them.

Went on to try a couple of other shafts including the KBS tour c taper, launch was a bit higher and the project x’s appeared to be the best fit. Really glad the KBS didn’t work out as the satin steel effect of the shaft was awful! Absolutely hated it! My old clubs are fitted with True Temper xp’s And shots have the tendency to balloon so we looked at lower launching shafts - this is something the pro I’m having lessons with has suggested too so was glad the fitter mentioned it before I did.

Ordered the 919 tour with project x rifle 6.0 shafts and Golf pride MCC plus 4 grips.

Silvermere was good, not sure what I was expecting from the fitting but while it was thorough it wasn’t mind blowing - maybe it was down to not striking it my best... They did however give me a bar code for 100 balls for warming up, I only used 20 or so so I saved them for after the fitting and practiced my 7i and PW, thought the shot tracer in each bay was pretty good. There were a few Titleist tour soft balls in the bucket and the rest were standard srixon range balls, amazing how much further the Titleist’ went, 10-15 yards with the 7i. The fitter had said during the fitting (fitting with Srixon z-stars) the range balls are 8-10% shorter.

Overall, very happy and cannot wait to pick them up.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Deadly! That's great glad you're happy. Were the SCs that close in dispersion yeah? What, if any, would you say the difference was? And in the end it sounds like you just loved the look of the Tours (as do I), which is really important imo. How did you get on with the Forged? And did you try many different shafts or did the optimiser point you towards X6.0? Sorry for all the questions my fitting is Wednesday!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Deadly! That's great glad you're happy. Were the SCs that close in dispersion yeah? What, if any, would you say the difference was? And in the end it sounds like you just loved the look of the Tours (as do I), which is really important imo. How did you get on with the Forged? And did you try many different shafts or did the optimiser point you towards X6.0? Sorry for all the questions my fitting is Wednesday!

No worries Curls, happy to answer any questions. When you place the MP-18 SC behind the ball after hitting the 919 tour I could not tell a difference just looking at them, the SC May have an ever so slightly thicker top line but we’re talking 1mm at most. The fitter said he thought the SC were a little more forgiving but I honestly couldn’t see or feel a difference. There may have been a very slight difference in sound. As above, I’ve been hitting the ball really well lately (playing off 12 but regularly doing our front nine in 3 or 4 over gross) but weather it was nerves or just a bit worn out, I didn’t take my best swing with me on the day. I hit quite a few shots with each, I’d say the majority were great strikes, a few pured ones and a couple of duffs - duffs for me are toe strikes but they still flew very well for such a mishit - 1/3 to 1/2 of the ball was off the grooves to give you an idea of how toe heavy they were. A couple of thinned ones, not a total blade but definitely thin and the launch angle was only a couple of degrees down. I can’t remember the numbers but launch angles etc etc they were both pretty consistent. I started with the 919 tour and moved to the MP-18 SC and I think the SC dispersion was a little tighter as I’d settled into the fitting a bit more. I had the MP-18 SC head in one hand and the 919 tour in the other and we both agreed that numbers wise was irrelevant, they were so close that it boiled down to visual preference. I tend to hit it out the toe on a bad strike and to me, the 919 tour has a little more weight in the toe and “should” suit by bad strike better - that was my thinking and I just love the looks of the 919 tour. The feedback with both of them was great, you knew exactly where you’d hit it on the face and GC quad backed that up.

We didn’t use the shaft optimiser, when I asked he said we could give it a go but he preferred to look at the numbers on GC quad, listen to my feedback and look at the ball flight. There were loads to choose from and we tried a few, there just seemed more consistency with the project X.

Sorry, I’m jabbering away..... I didn’t try the forged, my current clubs are the 850 forged and we did get numbers from these on GC quad. I had it in my mind that There was no point in spending £££ on a new set of forged’s.

It’s most likely the shafts but I’m finding the 850 forged are ballooning on me, I see this on the course and we saw this in the fitting and that’s why we looked at lower launching shafts straight away. Not one of the 919 tour or MP-18 SC shots ballooned on me.

Hope that covers everything 👍🏻

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No worries Curls, happy to answer any questions. When you place the MP-18 SC behind the ball after hitting the 919 tour I could not tell a difference just looking at them, the SC May have an ever so slightly thicker top line but we’re talking 1mm at most. The fitter said he thought the SC were a little more forgiving but I honestly couldn’t see or feel a difference. There may have been a very slight difference in sound. As above, I’ve been hitting the ball really well lately (playing off 12 but regularly doing our front nine in 3 or 4 over gross) but weather it was nerves or just a bit worn out, I didn’t take my best swing with me on the day. I hit quite a few shots with each, I’d say the majority were great strikes, a few pured ones and a couple of duffs - duffs for me are toe strikes but they still flew very well for such a mishit - 1/3 to 1/2 of the ball was off the grooves to give you an idea of how toe heavy they were. A couple of thinned ones, not a total blade but definitely thin and the launch angle was only a couple of degrees down. I can’t remember the numbers but launch angles etc etc they were both pretty consistent. I started with the 919 tour and moved to the MP-18 SC and I think the SC dispersion was a little tighter as I’d settled into the fitting a bit more. I had the MP-18 SC head in one hand and the 919 tour in the other and we both agreed that numbers wise was irrelevant, they were so close that it boiled down to visual preference. I tend to hit it out the toe on a bad strike and to me, the 919 tour has a little more weight in the toe and “should” suit by bad strike better - that was my thinking and I just love the looks of the 919 tour. The feedback with both of them was great, you knew exactly where you’d hit it on the face and GC quad backed that up.

We didn’t use the shaft optimiser, when I asked he said we could give it a go but he preferred to look at the numbers on GC quad, listen to my feedback and look at the ball flight. There were loads to choose from and we tried a few, there just seemed more consistency with the project X.

Sorry, I’m jabbering away..... I didn’t try the forged, my current clubs are the 850 forged and we did get numbers from these on GC quad. I had it in my mind that There was no point in spending £££ on a new set of forged’s.

It’s most likely the shafts but I’m finding the 850 forged are ballooning on me, I see this on the course and we saw this in the fitting and that’s why we looked at lower launching shafts straight away. Not one of the 919 tour or MP-18 SC shots ballooned on me.

Hope that covers everything 👍🏻

Certainly does thanks chap and no apologies for jabbering needed it’s very exciting 👍🏻 You’ve got some beautiful looking bats there, I’m really conflicted but will go with whatever the numbers say on the day and hope I bring a decent swing! Thanks again, enjoy the season sounds like if it start cracking the back 9 with those weapons it’ll be a good one 😀

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Did you try, or did the fitter suggest the MP 18 MMC instead of the SC? (Guess what I'm considering... :) )

I've been looking into irons for a couple of months now and have had a couple of American golf fittings. Maybe I have some sort of OCD but I went back to a different AG and said I wanted to test back to back the 919 tour, forged, MMC, SC and for giggles the MP18 blade. I was a bit concerned the 4i in the 919 tour was being optimistic so also considered the 919 forged in the 4i-6i.

As far as the MMC were concerned, visually they had a slightly thicker top line and didn’t appear as compact as the 919 tour and the SC but regarding forgiveness I’d say they were slightly more forgiving than the SC and 919 tour. So little in it to be honest but there was a definite clack sound with the MMC that I didn’t like. Perhaps exaggerated being indoors but didn’t sound as nice as the 919 tours and SC.

My advice is go to an American Golf and ask to compare all the Mizuno models back to back. Narrow it down to the ones you prefer and find a fitting centre with an open range for the final fitting. It took a long time for me umming and aggging
About what I wanted but think it was time well spent 👍🏻

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I've been looking into irons for a couple of months now and have had a couple of American golf fittings. Maybe I have some sort of OCD but I went back to a different AG and said I wanted to test back to back the 919 tour, forged, MMC, SC and for giggles the MP18 blade. I was a bit concerned the 4i in the 919 tour was being optimistic so also considered the 919 forged in the 4i-6i.

As far as the MMC were concerned, visually they had a slightly thicker top line and didn’t appear as compact as the 919 tour and the SC but regarding forgiveness I’d say they were slightly more forgiving than the SC and 919 tour. So little in it to be honest but there was a definite clack sound with the MMC that I didn’t like. Perhaps exaggerated being indoors but didn’t sound as nice as the 919 tours and SC.

My advice is go to an American Golf and ask to compare all the Mizuno models back to back. Narrow it down to the ones you prefer and find a fitting centre with an open range for the final fitting. It took a long time for me umming and aggging
About what I wanted but think it was time well spent 👍🏻

Thanks. Currently using MP 25’s which were fitted when the Mizuno fitter came to our club. Told him I wasn’t going to push him towards anything, just run the numbers. Teaching Pro was present and looking in. He tried me on a couple of different JPX heads, neither he nor the teaching pro were overly keen, said let’s try something different and went to the MP 25 head, and the numbers changed for the better.

Might change in about 6 to 12 months time, would try the new JPX’s again but as I tend to prefer irons to hybrids and with the last fitting in mind I was considering the MMC’s. Thanks for the feedback, not the first time I’ve heard the clicking comment about the MMC’s, but the loft spread suits me better than the SC’s, decisions decisions... :unsure: (y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Glad J55TTC had a good fitting and found a combo that works. It is a very thorough fitting process and the guys really do know their stuff. Nice touch to give you such a big basket to warm up (didn't do that when I went). Looking forward to seeing that handicap tumble