Missing Golf?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm itching to get back on the course even if just to try out all the kit I keep buying during lockdown out of boredom :oops: I've bought a putter, balls, polos, waterproof jacket and looking at a new shaft for my hybrid.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, I am missing being on my course with the company, the views and the wildlife.
However, there are other things I am really enjoying such as a 3 or 4 mile walk every day in the countryside around the lovely town I live in with my wife.
Having said that, I can't wait to get back on the course.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think that would be worse in a way. More like a tease. I've been out cycling everyday. It's just not the same as I find exercise really dull and mundane but when I play golf it doesn't feel like exercise for me!

I’m really missing playing but with all that’s going on at the moment it’s not that important.

I did go to our club today to have a walk for a hour, and I found it was worse than other walks I have been going on

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Initially I didn’t really miss it, I was just overwhelmed by the news and worry around coronavirus to really focus on anything. Now that I’ve had chance to take it all in and settle down, I’m really missing it, the competition, hours in the fresh air, the feeling when you hit a nice iron or sink a good putt. Above all else, it’s just a really good way to release isn’t it, clear the head, peace and quiet.

Probably made worse by the terrible weather we were having and the slight glimpse of better weather on that last weekend.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I flip flop. I do enjoy getting away from the house, especially when the weather is nice. But my feelings toward golf over the last year all depended on how I felt about my game.

The lack of progress and continual set backs in my game really got me down. And excitement about a round could swiftly turn to into high frustration and apathy about playing.

I was getting better before lockdown though my short game was still a knock in the teeth. Using the lockdown time now to practice the new swing and work on chipping. It’s always gonna take longer than I think to embed swing changes and can’t figure out how to get any consistency in chipping. So for now I’m not missing it a great deal. But should I gain more confidence in my swing I know I’ll get itching to get out.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I miss it. We miss it. The three of us all play, and making do with chipping in the garden, putting in the conservatory and walking around the local park without a carry bag just doesn’t equate. I’m hoping that this will change my attitude when playing, so that I can enjoy it even more and look at it as less of a challenge. We’ll see.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Getting proper withdrawal symptoms.
I’ve worked my arse off with overtime from the new year ( just over 300hr’s) in preparation of my house being ready to move into.
I’d normally play sat and sun all winter. This winter I only played 1 sat in every 3. I was just finding some form before it all
Kicked off and now it just seems like this year will be a write off.
Not sure how I’d cope if I was furloughed from work. I can’t stand being in the house in between work, never mind all the time.

D

Deleted member 17920

Yes missing it now we have good weather.

But I guess missing most the craic we have on a Sunday. If it wasn’t for my group I play with I wouldn’t play much through the winter.

I can’t say when we do open the idea of playing in 2 Balls and no clubhouse and only been able to turn up 15 mins doesn’t really excite me. That feels like just going through the motions and playing banterless golf.

I hope we don’t do that as it’s just going to kill a club atmosphere.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyone else not missing the game at all?

Probably for the first time in over 20 years I could walk away from golf and not bat an eyelid which is surprising and I think anyone who knows me would say its very unlike me. Genuinely got no urge to play golf or even pick up a golf stick and have a swing. If we're still in lockdown at the end of the year I certainly won't be paying a membership that's for sure.
I thought I was the only one. I am missing the mates I play with though. I am definitely a social golfer. If you had to play as a single I would ebay the clubs.

Wolf

Visit site
Anyone else not missing the game at all?

Probably for the first time in over 20 years I could walk away from golf and not bat an eyelid which is surprising and I think anyone who knows me would say its very unlike me. Genuinely got no urge to play golf or even pick up a golf stick and have a swing. If we're still in lockdown at the end of the year I certainly won't be paying a membership that's for sure.
This sums me up perfectly. I really am not missing it at all, my clubs are sat gathering dust with no urge to touch them even for a quick swing. I have absolutely no desire to play at all and really don't feel bothered about playing again. I could easily walk away altogether and find other ways to fill the time a lot better. Even after lockdown golf will be literally the last thing on the agenda, I will be surprised if I play this year at all as I have other things I want to do now.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Yes, missing it. Got back into it quite a bit after 10 yr lay off.Had a year or so, and then, bang- the lockdown.
I really enjoyed practicing as well on the range, so looking forward to getting back ,hopefully.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Massively missing golf, my mental health is affected slightly by it. It is my way of coping with life. Not being able to play has taken a knock this week. Prob because I had a weeks leave from work and being off work at home not going out. Potty training a toddler etc etc just needed a release

But work yest. Hour into the shift , Emergancy call someone on track, whip the electric off. Boom that knocked me out the slump and woke me back up

Can't wait for a bit of golf tbh

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to say, yes, I am missing it
But that's probably because I've had time off anyway from about October for 4 months or so, recurring shoulder issue.
So had just started hitting balls again and starting to think of the season, and getting out again, then we had rainy season followed by lockdown.
But golf in general is way way down my own list of importance, and has been for about the last 8years or so, for varying reasons, and there's been atleast 2-3 occasions when I thought of chucking it in.
Now, it's fun, with pals, and a release from work etc..... And other such crap.
So yes, missing it, but not just golf, the overall package that comes with it, meeting pals etc, the craic, the golf is just a common ground for all this to happen.

My only release now, is walking the legs off our dogs in the neighbouring fields/countryside, highlight of each day now

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, and anyone who says otherwise, well, beggars belief. It's a relief from the day to day drag of life and working for the rich people who will be getting richer out of all this. I'm so fed up I'm seriously thinking of buying an air pistol and shooting the squirrel that is hacking up my lawn, and the wife didn't tear strip off me when I suggested it which is a tad worrying so I've hid all the sharp knives in the house just to be on the safe side.