Missing Golf?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Anyone else not missing the game at all?

Probably for the first time in over 20 years I could walk away from golf and not bat an eyelid which is surprising and I think anyone who knows me would say its very unlike me. Genuinely got no urge to play golf or even pick up a golf stick and have a swing. If we're still in lockdown at the end of the year I certainly won't be paying a membership that's for sure.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Missing it and especially seeing my golfing mates. Been doing some work in the garden on my short game and working on my putting so trying to be as ready as I can when we finally get back out. Got a mat coming and some airflow balls so will be able to hit some full shots when that comes and try and get some timing and a coherent swing

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Just did my daily walk which has usually round my local course, it's a members course on public heathland so open to all to walk on, and bearing in mind I'd let my membership lapse years ago and am now at the range, play courses as and when but less so then ever I'd probably write out a cheque and join tomorrow if I could.

It may be I'm missing it more as we can't play where as when we could I could take it or leave it ...

GBC

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty much the same as the OP. Had fallen out of love with where I was playing and have found things more important to me since the lockdown. When I work all week it suddenly seems selfish to then spend 5 hours away every Saturday and some Sundays. Not saying I will not go back to playing but could quite happily let this all settle down and look what I want to do next summer.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not realy. told my golfing buddies near end of last year im at a position i could walk away and b ok ..
Put in good bit of work over winter with aim of getting lower early and kick starting my love for the game ..

Would like a game Not overly worried about it .. loadsa room .hit balls once . No real interest

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Miss it but find not playing it easy as everyone is in the same boat.

Its actually funny how good the weather is now after such a harsh wet winter.

D

Deleted member 1740

I’ve rarely played the last 2 years or so due to family stuff/kids/work and injury but this lockdown has made me realised how much I’ve actually missed it.

I’ve even been looking at clubs to join again.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hardly played since August, but had a big year planned with loads of work to get back to singles.

Still hopeful of a half decent season, but if the courses aren’t fully open by the autumn then I’m not sure I’ll have enough enthusiasm to splurge another grand against the wall.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone else not missing the game at all?

Probably for the first time in over 20 years I could walk away from golf and not bat an eyelid which is surprising and I think anyone who knows me would say its very unlike me. Genuinely got no urge to play golf or even pick up a golf stick and have a swing. If we're still in lockdown at the end of the year I certainly won't be paying a membership that's for sure.

Not quite that I'm not missing it, more that it doesn't feel right to be playing.

I'd rather be home with my family at the moment

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'm missing the social as much as anything else tbh.

Since moving to kent golf has basically been the outlet. Commute was a bit too much for footy. So it replaced it as my hobby.

Started having family quizzes on a Saturday night which has mashed into 20 off us on zoom. Its a good laugh, but not quite the same banter...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I walk bits of The Grove, and my own course, West Herts everday. It's nice to walk, and I have a fair chunk of my walk through the local woods too, and try to avoid the canal path, as it's busier.

Do I miss golf? Not really. Golf to me is about the people, my friends, (and associates, I know), and chatting total rubbish. It's not just golf.
I am lucky I have such walks on my doorstep. I am not mental about hitting balls, or playing on my own.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Missing the opportunity to play. Missing the game. Missing the social side. Missing watching the Tour. Missing the good days out that we've already had cancelled.

Whilst appreciating fully the seriousness of the situation, I am enjoying being home rather than working away for most of the week... best advice my dad gave me, "Marry the right woman!" He couldn't have anticipated the lockdown!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not overly, was injured before lockdown so a while since Ive played, do miss the opportunity it gives for spending more time with my Dad and know hes climbing the walls :(

Like Murph, miss the people and everything that goes with more than the game

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Missing it a lot.

I lost 3 or 4 months last year due to health and was looking forward to a full calendar this year, playing some new courses, catching up with friends around the country, etc.

Plus I've got a lot of "new" clubs I'm really keen to try out.