Membership cost increase

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our fees went up 6% which was just about acceptable. We offer a range of payment options, none of which require a credit agreement, so they don’t attract any interest charges. Most popular option is paying over 9 months April to December inclusive.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s exactly my fear for the future of the game.

However we’re not exactly getting richer as a country, and mid term I just don’t see the numbers being there to sustain the high prices we’ve seen.

When the downturn comes, it’s going to be brutal and golf will be among the worst affected industries, as it always is sadly.

My thoughts are that some if courses are trying to be something that they are not and are appealing to a very limited audience.

It’s a very risky play.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I simply just can’t afford to play any more. I live in Surrey/Hampshire boarders, it’s just too expensive. Even pay and play is costly.

Sums up my point. It’s ok clubs throwing all these improvement plans in but these come at a cost which inevitably filters through to subs/gf’s.

Have you considered something like playmoregolf? A points based system that depending on the times you csn play could access up to 100 rounds a year. I went through a package near me, the course was £1700 a year subs but this scheme would give me 18 peak time weekend morning games or up to 100 afternoon weekday off peak games - the cost was £700 which meant the off peak games were £14.00

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The golf club doesn't need all the cash up front, costs are incurred over the course of the year, so it's unnecessary to demand members pay everything up front.
But if you were the club you would want all the fees in up front. It makes better business sense.

sunshine

Visit site
What’s the admin fee for? Assume he’s taken out an interest free purchase credit card rather than balance transfer? That’s what I do anyway and have never paid an admin fee.

Sorry I had assumed he couldn't pay subs on credit card and so was doing a balance transfer.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Indeed they are. But a club may need to get all the subs in upfront to prevent losing lots of money when people stop paying for whatever reason.
Sometimes getting it upfront prevents cash flow issues, where shortages may need to be covered using a line of credit or equivalent.

D

Deleted member 35504

Clubs get the whole membership fee up front when we pay by Fairway Credit.
It's the credit company's that then collects over the 12 months.

Visit site
I could probably find the answer to this if I trawled all 70 plus pages of this thread, but I'd be interested to hear how other clubs handle price increases. Can you say which of the three options below most accurately fit what happens at your club. The board/committee can...

1) Set whatever price increase they wish without any member input or vote
2) Increase the price by a set amount and only increases over this level require a vote
3) Can only increase prices at all with a membership vote

In the case of 2) it would be useful to know what is used as the set amount; CPI, RPI, a fixed % etc and also what % of members have to vote in favour for it to be carried

In my clubs case, it's 2), membership fees can increase by CPI with any additional rise needing a vote with a 66% majority. Our board are currently trying to change from CPI to something else because they feel it underestimates the clubs real inflation, certainly in recent years.

It would be useful if you could mention whether you are a members club or privately owned, though I imagine very few of the latter would give their members any input on prices.