Membership cost increase

Visit site
This is Minch isn’t it? Didn’t they propose the 4% above inflation for the next few years last year and it got voted down? Are there any major projects linked to this 25% odd increase over 2 years? - I haven’t seen any significant work going on there when playing it a few times last year as well as being up there a couple of weeks ago. This just seems particularly high given that most clubs have been at about 15% or so over the past two years.
Correct it is Minch. A year or so ago they proposed what you say, a big first year rise then 3 consecutive years of 4% over CPI. That wasn't approved- in fact I don't think it even made it to a vote, so obvious was it, that it would fail. In the end the club voted for a 16.7% rise for last/current year. Then they want another 7.8% for the coming year. And seperately they want to change our articles to give them pretty much unimpeded power in future, including being able to add 4% over CPI without any vote. You would imagine that would be voted down again, but I'm not sure people are going to notice, since it is being lost in a number of changes to the articles.

Yes it is high and my bigger concern is the effective takeover of what is supposed to be a members club, by the changes to the articles. I think they now see it as a company with them in charge, and if you don't like, you can lump it.

To be fair, there is work going on, quite a lot this winter, improving drainage on the tees. That is a 6 figure project apparently. However we did also used to do large infrastructure projects in the past from our surplus, so nothing exceptional. I've seen no noticeable improvement in course quality as it stands. Personally I think they just want to make it a more expensive, exclusive club, and I think are feeling they can do that because we still have a waiting list. My hunch is, we might not in a year or two...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it’s scandalous. You agree to a set amount for a year and then halfway through the year they say “give me more money or your membership will be cancelled” and they think that’s ok yet are now threatening to take someone to court who didn’t pay this new fee? Are they extracting the urine?

This is exactly why if I were the club, I would not be going anywhere near a court. Any claim will end up as a decision on the legality of charging and enforcing a levy on a fixed term, fixed price contract. What outcomes can you get, you win then you get £100 plus some of your costs (possibly not all as you are not expected to be represented in small claims) so basically you could actually end up out of pocket chasing that debt. Other outcome, the court rules in favour of the member, levy unenforceable and suddenly you get every hacked off member getting together to claim their money back. Really a no win situation.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Correct it is Minch. A year or so ago they proposed what you say, a big first year rise then 3 consecutive years of 4% over CPI. That wasn't approved- in fact I don't think it even made it to a vote, so obvious was it, that it would fail. In the end the club voted for a 16.7% rise for last/current year. Then they want another 7.8% for the coming year. And seperately they want to change our articles to give them pretty much unimpeded power in future, including being able to add 4% over CPI without any vote. You would imagine that would be voted down again, but I'm not sure people are going to notice, since it is being lost in a number of changes to the articles.

Yes it is high and my bigger concern is the effective takeover of what is supposed to be a members club, by the changes to the articles. I think they now see it as a company with them in charge, and if you don't like, you can lump it.

To be fair, there is work going on, quite a lot this winter, improving drainage on the tees. That is a 6 figure project apparently. However we did also used to do large infrastructure projects in the past from our surplus, so nothing exceptional. I've seen no noticeable improvement in course quality as it stands. Personally I think they just want to make it a more expensive, exclusive club, and I think are feeling they can do that because we still have a waiting list. My hunch is, we might not in a year or two...

hoping its in nick as we are playing there on Sunday?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is that because of non renewals or the fact the club want more members to offset the increase?
Not sure Baz...numbers were at maximum last April so either there aren't as many wanting to join or we've lost a good number...normally 30-40 on the list each year....

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure Baz...numbers were at maximum last April so either there aren't as many wanting to join or we've lost a good number...normally 30-40 on the list each year....

So it’s either an additional 10% members or a 10% loss. Hopefully it’s the later as additional members always have a knock on with tee availability

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it’s scandalous. You agree to a set amount for a year and then halfway through the year they say “give me more money or your membership will be cancelled” and they think that’s ok yet are now threatening to take someone to court who didn’t pay this new fee? Are they extracting the urine?
Whilst I completely agree with you, it’s in the articles of association that a levy can be proposed, put to a vote and and if the majority of members vote yes, everyone has to pay it. I voted no but unfortunately we lost 4-1. Pretty annoying that loads of those who were against it just didn’t bother turning up to vote.

I did cover this at the time, but basically the ‘previous board’ messed up the finances, tied us into an extortionate energy contract, other mistakes, poor management, poor cost control etc, and the long and short of it was that they needed the £100 to keep the lights on. This was all after land was sold which generated something like 300k. We all felt that the £100 should’ve come out of that as a one off, but the board were adamant it was being kept for course improvements only. To be fair, they have started the course improvements, time will tell how far it goes.

My concern now is that if loads leave as a result of the fee going up by 23%, then where does that leave the rest of us who stay. Will the new fee generate enough income or will they be asking for another levy. The agm is next Thursday, will be quite firey I think. They had to postpone it and have since asked us to email our questions in advance to allow them to prepare, and also to allow everyone to get a word in.

Don’t know if I should be saying all of this on here, my user name isn’t exactly covert, and our incoming captain is an infrequent poster on here, but there you go, it’s done now!

Visit site
Yours is an interesting tale, one I relate to happenings at my own club.

For me, at least, it comes down to the extent members have power and control over the affairs of the club. If the people who messed up won a vote in a competitive election, then having done so, were voted out the same way, and members can do that easily without them trying to cling to power, then I guess this is a case of caveat emptor. If you are a members club, in the end it's your liability, your club. Of course, you can exercise your right to leave and for sure your club sounds like it might be in a more precarious position than is ideal, though that £300k is a good buffer.

I assume the former board/committee members have left with their tail between their legs?

To me, the lesson is never give your board/committee more power than absolutely necessary and all members should wise up and make sure they contribute towards monitoring what is being done in their name, and any sense of a lack of transparency, act on it fast.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is exactly why if I were the club, I would not be going anywhere near a court. Any claim will end up as a decision on the legality of charging and enforcing a levy on a fixed term, fixed price contract. What outcomes can you get, you win then you get £100 plus some of your costs (possibly not all as you are not expected to be represented in small claims) so basically you could actually end up out of pocket chasing that debt. Other outcome, the court rules in favour of the member, levy unenforceable and suddenly you get every hacked off member getting together to claim their money back. Really a no win situation.
Is it just a veiled threat to scare the member.

Will they really go through with it..?

We should stay away from courts as much as we can.!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've lost nine of the group I play with to another local course. So that's £9k gone from subs and the pros not happy as they spent in the shop and also catering receipts will be down this season as well.

The Lion

Visit site
This is the area I am in, looking to join somewhere but virtually all of them are a closed shop. Not even able to get on waiting lists!

The “Golf Coast” is arguably the biggest ripoff in the country, maybe in all of Britain and Ireland.

Expensive links, limited choice, long waiting lists, not much good golf outside the top courses.

Obviously just my view, but I do live here!

Even the parklands aren’t very good, yet most are over £1k fees here in Merseyside 🤯

simo71

Visit site
The “Golf Coast” is arguably the biggest ripoff in the country, maybe in all of Britain and Ireland.

Expensive links, limited choice, long waiting lists, not much good golf outside the top courses.

Obviously just my view, but I do live here!

Even the parklands aren’t very good, yet most are over £1k fees here in Merseyside 🤯
Largely agree!!

Can't even get on waiting lists at most of the half decent tracks.

Albo

Visit site
I used to stay in the area, it was expensive back when I was there which is 20ish years ago. I fear to think what it will be now cost wise.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
WORLD CLASS courses near to a lot of people - so should be quite dear rightly but suspect they offer great value to those that play there.

Apologies for the minor, but quite pertinent edit. 😁😁

The whole coast isn't world class, before someone says it, but several are, ans the next tier are also excellent.

So, yes, I'd expect high cost and a queue.